Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What's Black, Heavy, and Milder Than Mild?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HerMink, Dec 28, 2021.

1. HerMink

HerMink

What's up guys, I've been doing a few things here and there on this clean little '55 Chevy that I bought off of the forum here about six-eight months ago or so.

I had a '29 roadster, but it just wasn't getting much use from our family of four, if we went to a cruise-in or anything, we had to take two cars (we have two kids in car seats still) and it was just getting old. Our first classic car years ago was a four door '55 Chevy, so we set out looking for another one. I sold my roadster here on the HAMB and then quickly found this super clean, mostly all original (with one repaint a long time ago) '55 here on the HAMB out of Iowa. Not to mention this thing was a fraction of the price we sold our roadster for so money in the bank is always cool according to my wife......

You can check out my old roadster build thread here.

I bought this thing and had it shipped, which I never do, but I just couldn't find the time to make the trip and honestly having it shipped was cheaper than what it would have cost me for gas, food, and beer. I was super nervous, I told the driver I hadn't seen the car and to tell me the truth - is it a total piece of shit? I mean after all, I paid a fair price for it and most cars in that price range had ragged out interiors and patina paint. His response was 'This is the nicest f**kin' car I've ever hauled - even the bottom looks new". That got me pretty excited, and when it showed up it was a super sweet old car.

black01.jpg

The first thing on the docket was just to drive this thing, my last two cars have been complete projects that took nearly two years each from the time I brought them home until they were actually mobile. So, just having something to cruise, and something that I could pack the family in and cruise was EXACTLY what we needed. We put roughly 3,000 miles on this thing over the Summer. I picked my son up from school in it every chance I got, I sat in countless Taco Bell drive-thrus, and drove around aimlessly most of the time.

HerMink01.jpg

Funny story, we attended the Indy NDRL Nationals (Drag racing event) over the summer to watch my father-in-law race. Registering for the car show was actually cheaper than the admission price. So, why not? Right away, I was surprised by how many nice cars were there that I haven't seen around this area before. And, I was even more surprised when we won a Top 10 award lol. I felt validated that this little four door car is as super cool and interesting as I thought it was.

ruralking01.jpeg

Note: My license plate is 'HER MINK'. Those who know me or have followed other cars I've owned you've probably heard this story. Sometime before me, my grandma was saving money for a mink coat - my grandpa took that money and bought his first '55 Chevy with it. To make light of the situation, he registered the car with the license plate 'HER MINK', and I do so still to this day. That particular plate is a repop I had done of a 1993 Indiana plate because that's the era I remember running around their house and I just vividly remember seeing that year plate on his cars.

2. deuceman32

deuceman32

Well done. Never mind the mink, you snagged the carpet. I'll bet that rug really tied the room together.:rolleyes:

Huge, MRW1994, billybones and 7 others like this.
  3. HerMink

HerMink

I wanted to get all of the cruising in this year I could before I started tinkering on it. Strangely, it's still in the 60s here in Indiana in late December - but I decided it was time anyway.

air05.jpg

I've started putting together a little air suspension system over the past couple of months. You could argue all day that a four link is the absolute best way to go, and I'm sure your right, but for this thing I've opted to do a simple 'air over leaf' rear setup, replacing the spring with a bag in the front, and using four simple paddle switches.

air01.jpg

air02.jpg
    air04.jpg

Of course, like anything else that hasn't been driven much in 66 years and then starts getting driven a lot - a lot of maintenance is being performed as well. Replacing bushings, wheel/axle bearings, brake lines, etc. has made the process take a little longer.....

air06.jpg

I typically only work on the car about one day a week or once every two weeks even - we just have a bunch of kid and Holiday stuff going on right now. But, I think another solid two days out there and it will be back on the ground. Nothing is really 'buttoned' up - the wheels are just hanging to keep them off the garage floor.

It's obviously lower, but I am assuming it will go down another 2" or so (maybe more / maybe not?) once it has some weight on it. I've seen a couple of local TriFives that are also 'air over leaf' and looking back, it looks like the front of their rear wheel opening is right about at the bottom of their rear wheel (where the rim ends and the tire starts). I guess we will see in a few weeks!

air08.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Slick setup. Looks like a fun cruiser

5. HerMink

HerMink

The dude abides.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Chebby with many moods...Shes a beauty...congrats and cant wait to see where you set it...;)

Oh!!...V8 or Six Banger?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  7. Sweet, clean machine. :)

clem, loudbang, chevy57dude and 3 others like this.
  8. v8flat44

v8flat44

Love it & I'm basically a Ford guy. One sweet 55 ! I'm learning that more doors are GR8. What power train is in it?

9. HerMink

HerMink

It’s an In-line-6; the first one that I’ve ever driven. At first, I thought it was a total dog. But, I started seeing signs like super long cranks and no fuel in the filter bowl at all that led me to believe the fuel pump was weak. It was, the arm on it was so loose I’m surprised it was attached. I replaced it and it really woke the car up. It runs pretty dang good.

Not sure if I want to put a V8 in it for a little more drive-ability power or just kinda freshen up the IL6. Whatever the case, I’m going to do that next Winter (In like a year). Didn’t want to overload myself with projects this Winter.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes the sixes do well and there are duel carb setups and things you can do to give'm a little more get go so yeah I understand the back and forth...

brady1929, v8flat44, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  11. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

That car is sweet. I would leave the 6 in it.

Jack Wagon, Cosmo49, bobss396 and 3 others like this.
  12. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Cool car

I totally dig it

loudbang, HerMink and Stogy like this.
  13. HerMink

HerMink

Here are the few interior pics that I have on my phone. Probably not going to change anything, it’s in great shape and all original - other than the Vintage AC unit.

AB7B34E7-F5F2-4B6D-8BC8-C891E574D833.jpeg

The Homestead.
    1216817B-7891-4B76-AD25-BED275209B42.jpeg

My wife really enjoys driving it as much as I do. Could hardly get her to ride in the roadster.

116D1C8D-B70F-4B62-87EE-842BEC4A492D.jpeg

14. Lucky dude. Cool wife, nice car!

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, Cool ride - maybe change rear gear ratio to add a little performance?

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice car, clean garage is also really nice. Bob

17. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get the dilemma between the V8 and the 6, but I always think it's such a shame to junk faithful old iron like that. You can always hop up the six a bit.

Jack Wagon, HerMink and Stogy like this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Great car. Congrats.

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Man thats a real nice old cruiser, ONLY thing that would make it better is a couple more cylinders.. Either way, great car and yall are in for a some great times !

20. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I get the mild, with the 6 it's a slug but it's far from heavy at maybe 3200 lbs.

HerMink likes this.
  21. HerMink

HerMink

I tried lifting it, I couldn’t do it. LOL

Budget36, Jack Wagon, egads and 3 others like this.
  22. ken bogren

ken bogren

Does turning on the A/C drag it down much?

Stogy, loudbang and HerMink like this.
  23. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

An elegant '55, have fun.
    I had the pleasure of being second owner of a high mile '57. The six was good enough, ( '57 yay ), It needed valve job. Fixed it, It needed a camshaft. Fixed it. Spun a rod bearing. Time for a conversion.
    The point I'd like to make is, I enjoyed the car as a six, but when I had the Hurst poking through the floor, and the quad honking under the hood, I was thrilled.

24. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I have to ask. Decades ago, there was a " T " altered named Carol's Mink. Is HerMink a kind of a throwback to that car?

Stogy, loudbang and HerMink like this.
  25. HerMink

HerMink

Nope, just organically came about from my grandparents own shenanigans. But that’s cool, aim gonna look it up!

26. HerMink

HerMink

Surprisingly no, you can’t even tell a difference and the AC blows super cold so I know it’s working.

I actually haven’t really ‘needed’ it, I’ve just turned it on a few times to check out if it works.

The vent windows on the car work wonders, I really wish cars still had them - almost no need for AC but we did have a mild summer this year.

Jack Wagon, egads, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

GREAT find. I liked you other thread so I will be along for the ride on this one. :)

28. HerMink

HerMink

Here is a pic of the ol’ IL6

99288A17-09A7-4F38-AE86-02AB0ECBC539.jpeg

and here is a pic of Bill of Sale, kinda cool seeing what were optional and what things cost in 1955. This one was actually a little more expensive than I would have guessed because I’ve seen vintage advertisements for ‘55 Hardtops around $2200-$2500 but then again it was probably a bait and switch.

I think it looks neat going to cruise-ins and shows with this in the window, kind of like a time capsule.

C165173D-1A8E-4BC6-84C0-4CD296DC640B.jpeg

jaracer, winr, lucky ink and 12 others like this.
  29. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats a beauty..

loudbang and HerMink like this.