Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Radical 57 Buick project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotdamn, Dec 27, 2021.

1. SS327

SS327

I think it looks great the way it is! I would just finish it up and drive the wheels off of it.

2. Glad you put it up here bro. Can’t wait to check this out in person. You already k lnow I dig the el Camino vibe.

hotdamn likes this.
  3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think shortening the car would be a tremendous amount of work
    although it IS an improvement. My suggestion is go the El Camino route, but get rid of the 3-piece rear window and do an inverted rear window (like on a ''63 Merc)...giving it a more El Camino look.
    0.06.jpg

[​IMG]

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

reminds me of a custom 54 Olds called Joannes dream that was built back in the 60's joanne.jpg

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

I think you should graft in a pickup bed instead of that long trunk.

6. williebill

williebill

I like it. Long and low. Always loved those 3 piece rear windows. I disagree with changing the rear window. The twin peaks on the roof of a 57 have always been killer, do not change them, please!
    IMHO, don't shorten, lengthen, mix up anything, just finish it.

j hansen, Tman, hotdamn and 1 other person like this.
  7. hotdamn

hotdamn

That roof line definitely has the same feel to it for sure!! Thanks for sharing that, it gives me a little more perspective. Oh and since you know a good deal about Lee lenses, any idea as to where I could possibly buy flat sheets of the repop material?

arkiehotrods and dana barlow like this.
  8. hotdamn

hotdamn

That’s the plan. a lotta folks don’t seem to care for how long the back half is but after having studied it all day and thinking about the amount of work that would have to go into shortening it due to the body lines, I think I’m good finishing the original vision or at least close to it. Still may pursue the elco route at some point though.

9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every time I see a custom El Camino/Ranchero with a sedan rear window, all I think is, someone was trying to make a 4 door something it isn't:(

40FORDPU, Cosmo49 and Crazy Steve like this.
  10. A Bu-Camino perhaps?

hotdamn likes this.
  11. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Looking at the profile, one of the first things I would do is mock up the interior and sit in it. Looks like there could be blind spots when looking out the side windows. Also practice getting in and out. I know we all will contort to get in and out of a cool rigs, but I picture either hitting my head or getting a sore neck from ducking to get in.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry I do not. There are a few old threads here with others that tried to find it. I have in the past used clear red with clear fluorescent diffuser material behind it. It does the same thing

13. Squablow

Squablow

You're right that the HAMB is sorely lacking in build threads these days, especially radical custom ones, so I'm glad to see this and I hope to see constant updates. Also cool that this was your buddy's car and that you're going to finish it.

I could think of all kinds of wild things to do with that long trunklid. It'd be cool to have the back part of the lid open down like a tailgate and the long part open up like a tonneau, maybe with some pleated vinyl upholstery on top, but I remember at the restoration shop I used to work at, a few 55-57 Thunderbirds had a custom made trunk lid where a section of the lid would flip up to reveal a rumble seat style exposed back seat, something like that in there could be really fun too, parade style. The T-bird guys called that a birds-nest trunklid.

But the key is to make it a functional car again. Any way it gets finished is good, and anything beyond that is bonus

dana barlow, Tman, hotdamn and 2 others like this.
  14. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see you on here again.

vic

hotdamn likes this.
  15. hotdamn

hotdamn

Na the interior is already set up, it sits great and isn’t bad to get in and out of

16. hotdamn

hotdamn

Awesome, thank you for the heads up!!

17. Someplace in the shop I have some sheets of the red from making lenses for the nomad. I’ll dig it out for you.

hotdamn and loudbang like this.
  18. belair

belair

I think it's cool how the top of the door flows into the bodyline of the quarter panel. I also think the gap there is a little awkward. Looks like a great project, thanks for bringing us along. 57 Buick is one of my bucket cars. You'll do the car right.

hotdamn likes this.
  19. Definitely picturing seaweed flames like these. 66F9849A-07B5-4099-83F8-F1EFCD154A3E.jpeg

Hurley50, catdad49 and 57 Fargo like this.
  20. Killer car, great idea!

21. hotdamn

hotdamn

I was thinking the same

Tman likes this.
  22. Without getting to radical with changes maybe all it needs is the fin area reworked? What I see is too vertical and works against the swoopiness of the other body lines. I have zero Photoshop skills but here is a rough idea

upload_2021-12-28_10-38-20.jpeg

23. reworked somewhat like a 54 skylark ass end.
    5746608095_3a0d652c69_b.jpg

24. arkiehotrods and dana barlow like this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

Quick and dirty with a more rounded off tail end.

I get the reasoning why, but I'm not for this, because it takes away from the El Camino/Ute pickup truck look and makes it more coupe/hardtop shaped, and it's more proportional when viewed as a pickup truck, it's awkwardly proportioned as a shortened up coupe. Here's a view though.

57buick.jpeg

Hamtown Al likes this.
  26. That is assuming the original builder was aiming for an Elco look. To me it looks like he was more after the luxury Sport Coupe look

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  27. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

El Roadmaster! Hahaha

Hamtown Al likes this.
  28. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, I think the OP needs to decide first if this is going to be finished off as a Ute or a large coupe. I think that may make a big difference in the way he proceeds with the tail end.

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

another example, by Gene Winfield - (in Car Kulture DeLuxe Jan/Feb 2022) 20211228_095255.jpg 20211228_095427.jpg

30. 1pickup

1pickup

I love radical shit. I wouldn't change the already cool vibe with more radical work. Get it running/driving. The only thing I would consider doing before some seaweed flames, is to make that trunk lid open sideways.

williebill and hotdamn like this.