Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pulp fiction hot rod books

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rehpotsirhcj, Dec 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Over the past few years I’ve been reading a few of the young reader hot rod books published in the 50s-60s. But I have yet to find the book I read in my middle school library that touched off my imagination. I’d love to read it again, but I remember very little about it, only that the stories main character had a switch to activate his tail lights so that his competitor in a street race would think he had touched his brakes, giving him an advantage going into turns. Maybe I’m crazy. Anyone have a clue as to what the book might have been?

2. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I'd like to think you may have read "Street Rod" by Henry Gregor Felson.
    That's the one that stands out in my mind, with the two protagonists
    being Ricky (the good kid) and Link (the guy you wanted to clock). Don't
    be thrown by the title, Ricky drove a '39 Ford coupe and Link had some
    sort of Chevy convertible. There was a term used in the book that always
    stuck with me: car suck. A guy who didn't have his own ride and had to
    depend on his friends.

Then again, I might be the crazy one, but I thought Ricky, who turned his
    bomb into a kool ride, had a switch that cut off the lights.

fauj and Elcohaulic like this.
  3. Would you be talking about something like this ?
    But,,,in this book the main character is called Bud Crayne,,,,something like that .
    This might not be what you are talking about ?

Tommy

363DBA00-2FB0-484A-930D-C5395E8D471E.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    hrm2k likes this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

Crash Club is the first one that I read, anyone else?!

5. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I read about Bud Crane (spl?) the N.J. gas station Mechanic who would time himself on Jersey roads. He would lash a note pad to his right knee, and mark his time from junction to junction. During the dark of night, to see what his modifications netted.
    The paperback cover had the same look as HOT ROD mag. One and only time I felt accomplished was doing a book report on it. Else wise school school never held my interest.
    I wanted to be Bud, in some ways I was. Except my girl didn't dig it like Bud's did.

hrm2k and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not specifically hot rod but as a kid I really liked "T-Model Tommy" by Stephen W. Meader.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  7. Henry Gregor Felsen's books inspired me and fueled my desire to read, thanks to my mother.

Titles like Hot Rod, Crash Club, Street Rod & Fever Heat, HRP

8. jaracer

jaracer

I also remember reading some of the Felson hot rod books. I see some titles are available at Powell's Books in Portland.

9. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Good lists! So far I’ve read Felton’s Hot Rod, street rod, and crash club. Street rod has by far the most vivid ending I’ve ever read. T Model Tommy should be read by every kid. Now I’m reading Philip Harkins’ Road race, but still, no taillight switch. Still searching. :)

51504bat and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a bunch of the Felsen books and have read them over lots through the years. The book I remember from my school days was "The Red Car" that was about a kid and an MG but wasn't written by Felsen. I'm sure that I could locate a copy online but it just hasn't been a high priority.

11. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

William Campbell Gault also had some good books.

lurker mick likes this.
  12. perk03

perk03
    from VA

I not much of a book reader but I did read "Go Dog Go" by Dr. Zeus.

13. Budget36

Budget36

But after all the years you didn’t retain some things:)

BigDogSS likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-28_5-27-56.png
    Hello,

My brother and I were no longer young kids when this book came out, but the cover did a number on us. It portrayed the idea of being a teenager, so to speak, and the freedom any car or hot rod gave us to wander and travel. My mother bought it for our little neighbor girl next door that almost lived at our house as we grew up. So, as she was a lot younger than us, the book was perfect for her.

But, my brother and I could not put it down as it was an artistic description of how we all felt about driving and cars.

Jnaki

In a recent discussion with our 16 year old Granddaughter over the holidays, she mentioned that she felt a total release when she is able to get behind the wheel of her car. Before she got her license, she had told my wife and me that she probably would not get a license to drive until she was 18. But, over the years of being in some cool cars with us, she began to change her mind.

Now, with her own car, the open road, well, at least in the neighborhood, and back and forth to school are her open road adventures. It is not the places, but the idea of being able to get in and go places. She still cannot cruise around like we used to do as teenagers, but the law says that by this time next year, she will be able to drive around with her friends.

My brother and I read the book many times over and since then it was a staple in our family library for our toddler sons back in those early days. We were all struggling, but there was always enough for a good book. Young or old, books still are a good thing.

cfmvw and EL MOE like this.
  15. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. My wife just gave me a copy of "The Red Car" for Christmas. Paperback, 2nd edition published in 1960. Getting hard to find. Looking forward to reading it.

16. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Don't remember the author's name and too lazy to go find it, the one I bought from the bookmobile, and still have, is Dirt Track Summer. 2 brothers and an Hispanic friend who acquire a Crager dirt track car and race it for college money. I think it was about 62?

17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

That's Seuss, not Zeus!

Sheesh. But yes, a great book. The cover looks surprisingly familiar...

18. William Campbell Gault is the author

Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  19. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember reading "Go Dog, Go!" when I was a little kid (and admittedly, as an adult). There was also the Dr Seuss book "Bears On Wheels" with all kinds of wheeled contraptions zooming across the pages.

jnaki likes this.
  20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I read Speedway Challenge by Gault back in grade school,probably a year or so before the HGF books were discovered by me. All of them definitely fueled my interest in cars.

21. ClarkL

ClarkL
    BANNED
    from Knoxville

Movies and books are my hobbies, so I immediately felt familiar with the plot that you described. I recommend watching Deuce of Spades - I really liked it, despite this genre. Now I'm also interested in politics and I'm studying on https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/electoral-college/cognitive essays on the electoral college. Unfortunately, I can't remember reading anything like that. I have read so many books and films that I can't remember them all. But your description sounds familiar to me. I agree with the commentator above - somewhat reminiscent of Street Rod.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022