Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SWIFTYS NEW 32 5W COUPE BUILD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, May 18, 2020.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Great looking project, hope he gets it done before long so he can use it.
    In the early pictures it looks like a new United Pacific body so the question that comes to mind is this.
    Is it really a 90 year old car?
    Looks like a 32 and is cool as hell but a new build with most of the parts being new hardly qualifies as a 90 year old car.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. flatoz

flatoz

Thats next, I have to build a motor for it, body work is done and it will get its turn next. But he needs to focus on this one for the moment. The Tourer will probably use up some of my stash of early Ford parts so shouldn't take too long to get done once the engine is done. Got the axle dropped the other day, diff's been gone through. I have a trans, set of gauges , radiator, grille shell and insert. Fuel tank Brakes, even wheels with new tyres on them. so a lot of the parts. So once he's finished this one he can make a start on that. That can be a build thread another time.

I'll see if I can dig up a couple of photos of the body.

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Swifty, some nice work going on there. Where did you get the five window. Was it already in Australia?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

4. swifty

swifty

No Mark. Originally I bought an old speedway body out of Cali which needed lots of work. Wife said I didn't have enough years left to get that into a useable state, sold her shares and financed a brand new body. Ordered this one from a local rod shop and they did me a great deal, lots cheaper than I could have bought one in the States and shipped it into Australia.

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Cool looking '32. Hardly wait for the finished car pictured on the road...

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. flatoz

flatoz

Most things are in body colour now.

Ill dig up some photos to show it. Of course the perception of the colour changes with the light.

Big thanks to Mick for squirting it. I was pushing Swifty to paint it himself but he wasnt keen. So asked Neil about helping, he did sort out prep and paint all the black stuff in 2pak but suggested Mick Who recently retired from painting at a local collision Repair place. Mick organized the booth where he had worked. So all in all the finish is well beyond what had initially Been planned for the car. Problem being some other items then had to come up to that standard. which required more work

20210417_100759.jpg

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cheers mate, all good here in Japan! Have been having a very quiet life these days which suits me but have a car or two on its way in the next month so hopefully back to driving something fun again. One I'll keep as is, the other a long term project!

8. flatoz

flatoz

9. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I'm liking that colour

10. flatoz

flatoz

The chassis being painted

IMG_8637.jpg IMG_8638.jpg

11. flatoz

flatoz

Resized_20210512_173506(1).jpeg

Drying off. The reassembly will hopefully Start soon

40ragtopdown, Stogy, alfin32 and 10 others like this.
  12. flatoz

flatoz

Mark,

I think we got into trouble with the colour.

Dad wanted 40 Ford Maroon, mum doesn't like it so we had to scratch that idea. We kicked around various colours.

Had to be an older colour, an Early Ford colour. Washington Blue was always a front runner, but there seems to be many shades for some reason, and living On a dirt road a dark colour doesn't Work.

We settled on this as a compromise , its like a few early Ford colours. Works well contrasted with the black and a bit of chrome.

I showed my wife the photo of the painted body and all she could say was - they already have 3 blue cars!

Cant win....

I like it though!!

13. spanners

spanners

I used to paint most of my cars and trailers blue. My mother-in -law wondered if I bought blue paint in 44gallon drums.

14. flatoz

flatoz

Body is getting trim done now.

We started putting the chassis back together on the weekend. Swiftys spent the time painting all the small bits thst needed to be done. Was great to see it rolling again .

20210627_113554.jpg

20210627_121959.jpg

20210627_154544.jpg

20210627_154550.jpg

20210627_172452.jpg

Dirty Dug, Stogy, mgtstumpy and 12 others like this.
  15. Looks great!
    (and it matches your lift) :D

Stogy, swifty and loudbang like this.
  16. flatoz

flatoz

Secretly i just went home so i could use the hoist for an oil change and grease. But swiftys grease tub gun was playing up and annoying me. Not sure it did anything Except Ooze grease everywhere. Told him to throw it out and use the brand new cartridge gun i bought him

20210627_103135.jpg

Stogy, mgtstumpy, ct1932ford and 4 others like this.
  17. swifty

swifty

Thanks for posting those pics Corey and thanks for all your help in getting the front and back ends in without too many scratches on that shiny blue paint. But I will point out that you left your old oil and filter behind plus I was too busy putting stuff together to supervise your use of the grease gun!!

18. flatoz

flatoz

Ok. Latest is getting the motor running before paint. There is a weld repair on the block so want to make sure its water tight before doing all the make up work on it.

Also found a few uglies on the timing cover and block. JB weld to the rescue , and another brand new timing cover. If course when you have to wait 4-6 weeks to get some parts it slows down progress.

The water areas weren't looking great.
    20210729_105701.jpg

So cleaned them up with JB weld
    20210729_130913.jpg

20210730_164817.jpg 20210730_164223.jpg

Stogy, loudbang and Big Al like this.
  19. Nice work, especially like the colour tho' it does appear to change depending on the light........it reminds me of a Humbrol model colour, # 48, Mediterranean Blue....lol.....looks good, andyd.

X38, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. Great colour choice mate, great to see it coming together !!

21. flatoz

flatoz

Hey Frank,
    Dad's had a bit of a health hiccup so things are in hiatus at the moment. Hopefully he will get back to it, but I'm planning on getting up there more once we're out of lockdown so I can help. The bodys still at the trimmers, which probably works out well. I just need to get the motor sorted then the chassis can go back together ready for the body.

cheers

22. flatoz

flatoz

been a while since an update but I'm happy to say things have been happening. not as quickly as I would like but then its not my car!

engines in , the gearbox gave us some trouble lining it up, I'm still not 100% convinced its right but we need to get it driving to tell that, thank god for a few acres to do test runs on.

The rear brakes are done and in for the final time. the exhausts are bolted on and the rear torque rods are sorted.

20211102_142950_resized.jpg

20211102_215751_resized.jpg

20211103_181452_resized.jpg

20211102_165300_resized.jpg

20211103_161354_resized.jpg

20211103_161403_resized.jpg

20211103_175024.jpg

20211103_181500_resized.jpg

20211218_204241_resized.jpg

20211218_204245_resized.jpg

Dirty Dug, Just Gary, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  23. I am so profoundly impressed by you guys there "Down Under" considering all of the "legislative" hurdles you have to overcome, not to mention the shipping of parts to you and the cost and time involved.

Huge thumbs-up to your Dad. He looks to be in better shape at 80 than many of the 40 yr. olds that I see. Keep pushing forward on the '32. Love the color by the way......Don.

swifty, Just Gary, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  24. SDS

SDS

Man, that's KEWL !

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. flatoz

flatoz

So last time I saw the chassis it was at the above stage. it was Dad's 'family' 80th celebration. My mate Neil came out too and we had a sniff around the shed. Dad had finished the brackets for the torque rods and painted them. I'd ordered the Heim joints and they'd arrived, the rods had been bought, cut, drilled , tapped and painted so we put that all together for him. Its a two person job to push the 36 bones out of their mounting bracket etc.

So the body on was the next job, it has been sitting at Neils as he has room to store it that it won't be in the way while cutting and welding was still going on. I think on the day we did the work we pushed him to get the body on asap. He was going to wait until the new year. Me, I get impatient. he calls me rip, tear and bust. But I can see the end goal clear as day now, so waiting doesn't seem like and option. He's done enough waiting, time to get moving.

so the 23rd December it was organised, chassis goes into town to Neils, 4 blokes were sorted to help and the body goes on, just before Xmas. And all of a sudden it looked like it was on, the home straight was there. Its that moment when you know this can be finished. not taken apart again ( which of course happens anyway) but you know that the hard work is starting to pay off.

At Christmas I got thinking and thought I would go up and help Swifty get a move on. My wifes family were doing Christmas day on Christmas day, the Swifts did it Christmas eve, so I had Boxing day and Monday Tuesday free. So after getting home late on Christmas day, the wife was working a shift Boxing day so I Jed Clampet and loaded up the rest of the family dog included and headed for hillbilly territory.

So after unpacking I got Swifty to write a list on a big piece of cardboard and we stuck it on the door of the shed. Then we did a trip into town to Neils and picked up some of the hanging parts - again stored out of harms way. The plan being to return the next day and get the rest ( my son was going to ride bikes with Neils son for the day so it worked out ) We didn't do much more on boxing day night except look things over and make plans.

My idea being, get the two person jobs done while I'm there and leave him with stuff he can do himself. so we started with an easy job , putting the headlights together, but found some screws missing etc. so still some work to do there. we also looked at fitting the fuel tank to the body.

The Monday we made decent progress, Dash pod got loaded with gauges, the dash went in. the pod came out again as the legs hadn't been painted. The radiator got a squirt and it got located, hoses on, grille shell got put together, of course the bezel didn't fit so lost about and hour getting that file finished to fit nicely. dome light in, looked and where the wires are going to run and then test fit the headlight bar and headlights ( the vintique headlight mount pads are crap and need to be cut to fit) I think that is all we got done. I forgot how much time it takes to finish put a car together, I have to slow myself down to about 1/3 speed so I don't make mistakes or scratch anything. Even more so not being my car.

I will say though I'm really pleased with how this one it coming out. Swifty has done a great job on it, of course not all by himself there has been many hands along the way. Craig the body guy, he's done the lions share of the metal work and getting other stuff sorted too. He's coming out to help fit the doors and boot lid, which I'm happy about as that job on this car just plain scares me, as I know how quickly paint can get pinched by doors that don't fit. Neil did a lot of the body finish and got the chassis to an immaculate state it doesn't look like an original chassis the finish is that good.

This is Swifty's 3rd car he's built over near 60 years now. he's getting better at it I will say. this one is by far his best. I honestly don't know how he's going to go with it, as he live on 3/4 mile of dirt road before he gets to the tarmac. Anyway, now for some photos. I guess I was just so impressed with how its coming along I had to tell you all. As photos don't do it justice.

but here are some anyway in sequence of what I've written about above.

Swifty loading up to get the body

Resized_20211222_162722.jpeg

Resized_20211222_164002.jpeg

Resized_20211222_185419.jpeg

Resized_20211222_191430.jpeg

Resized_20211222_191443.jpeg

dash going together
    20211227_132110_resized.jpg

my donation to the cause, set of SW wings gauges.
    20211227_132127_resized.jpg

Me not trusting myself with a blade screwdriver and fresh paint. came up with this as a helper.
    20211227_150111_resized.jpg

20211227_150137_resized.jpg

20211227_150709_resized.jpg

dash together
    20211227_151256_resized.jpg

Painting the bottom of the shell, nothing looks more awful than this in body colour.
    20211227_165742_resized.jpg

26. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

Screwdriver guard ‼️ Great idea , I’m stealing it ‼️‼️

27. flatoz

flatoz

so here is the car where it is now.

20211227_165733_resized.jpg

20211227_193212_resized.jpg

Swifty looking over it all.
    20211227_193306_resized.jpg

28. swifty

swifty

Thanks for posting the pics and the story Corey and thanks heaps for all your help over the last 2 days. I'm real happy with how it is coming together but I'm not real happy working with all this nicely painted stuff that you can't scratch. Now I've got a days work cleaning up the shed after everything got scattered about during our mad thrash LOL Small price to pay for the progress we made though.

Stogy, tmf and loudbang like this.
  29. tmf

tmf

Looking good. you have been busy. Torque rods came up good.

Stogy likes this.