Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just another first time AV8 build… the “Grandaddy Coupe”

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fiftiescat, Dec 5, 2021.

1. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Well… I’ve always wanted to build a traditional AV8 and I got to thinking… some guys end up waiting for the right time to build their hot rod and don’t end up starting the build until they are well into their 50’s or 60’s… if they start it at all.

If you build it, they will come.

I knew I wanted to build an AV8 and I knew I wanted to do it now. I’d find ways to get extra money for parts, I’d make the time no matter what. I ended up trading my ‘46 coupe for a ‘31 coupe plus some cash my way. The perfect start to what I wanted. I decided I’d rebuild the carburetor on my newly acquired A and run through the basics and drive her for a few months while I collected some more parts.

I get the call Wednesday while I’m at the shop that my fiancé tested positive for covid and I leave work and head home. Quarantined with a new car? Yes, please. I began ordering parts immediately.

I sort a few things on the car, drive it around a few times, I get stuck a few times with it. I get it home a few times… I said SCREW IT. I instantly decided that I would begin my build and if I’m gonna be stuck at home for 10-14 days I’m going to make the most of it.

The build is simple. A fenderless Av8 highboy with a wicked flathead, ‘39 box, banjo (possible QC), and eventually a chop.

Attached Files:

2. SPEC

SPEC

Excellent idea!

Stogy and fiftiescat like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

nice car... do what you like,,,

4. If you have the parts, 14 days should be long enough to get it done. Old Henry took less than an afternoon and he started pretty much from scratch....;)

Good luck with the build, and stay safe

chryslerfan55, Stogy and fiftiescat like this.

5. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Engine and trans are in mock up. I’ll update with more photos later on!

Stogy likes this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get after it, and post pics!

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes! Great car to start with, you've got a great head start not having to deal with a rusted out hunk of metal. Please keep us posted through to the end. Are you working with the Mike Bishop, Vern Tardel book?

8. Looks like a good solid project to start with. HRP

9. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Okay, so I’ve made quite a lot of progress! I started disassembly on Friday afternoon and by Sunday night I got the engine/transmission installed in the frame. I gotta say, I highly recommend the AV8 mount kits that Millworks/Old Yankee Speed Co. sells.

I’ll need to do some minor modifications to the firewall behind the duel pump stand, but nothing too serious. I’ll also need to address the firewall on the passenger side where the heater duct was, I won’t be able to install a cylinder head (using studs) unless I do a bit of massaging.

I’ll have an F1 steering box here mid-week and that will be the next order of business…. Along with steering, I’ll have to make decisions regarding a dash which means I’ll have to figure out what to do about a fuel tank. I’ve decided on a ‘39 Deluxe wheel and column drop & mast (which I’m still looking for) and either a ‘35/‘36 or ‘38 dash.

As always, any tips, recommendations, or photos anyone else has are more than welcome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  10. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

I’ve read the Bishop/Tardel book a few times and I’ll be referencing it I’m sure!!!!

Stogy and Blues4U like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Stogy and Atwater Mike like this.
  12. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I like where this is going, thanks for sharing.

Stogy, Atwater Mike and fiftiescat like this.
  13. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I’m waiting on some
    Parts to sell and I’m gonna be going down the same road with my sedan. 51 Merc engine, 39 trans, stock rear for now, And all milworks mounts. But I’m gonna stay full gendered for now. And mech brakes till I can find good rear brake components.

Attached Files:

14. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Stogy and Blues4U like this.
  15. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

You’ll most likely need to remove some of the brake linkage to install the Millworks transmission mount. I got a partial F1 crossmember with the pedals I think I’m going to try to use to keep everything a little simpler.

Outback, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Been a bit quiet out in the shop while I’m waiting for stuff to start coming in the mail, but I put in a good 5 hours today. I got a bunch of brake and steering parts cleaned, degreased, and bead blasted. I shoot all the blasted parts with one coat of True Value cheap Rustoleum primer. After everything is fitted and modified I’ll give everything a quick blast and get them into epoxy.

the F1 box was like new inside. No galling or pitting whatsoever. I think I’ll smooth the entire box as I’m doing the same to the engine block. The pedals are already to go just waiting on a few things. Hopefully some of these wheels and brake drums clean up well enough to use. We’ll see!!!

Attached Files:

17. brady1929

brady1929

Great job. Okay, hold on, let me click on "watch thread". Carry on.

18. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Things have been a bit busy with the holidays and all but I’ve been popping out to the shop for an hour or 2 after work to get stuff done. My biggest thing is taking the time to get the brake/clutch/accelerator pedals perfectly where I want them as well as the steering column etc. I see dozens of cars a year come into the shop and the ergonomics of where everything is is so bad that the car is such a drag to drive. Once everything is perfect and comfortable, the body comes off.

Yesterday I got the pedals bent relatively close to where I want them. Some more tweaking on the brake pedal today and they’ll be perfect. I was able to nick a section of an F1 crossmember to mount the pedals. Once that’s set exactly where I want I can brace it and make it look as if it’s supposed to be there.

My buddy machined the F1 steering box and I got it mocked up in the frame last night.

Attached Files:

19. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll follow.

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Steering box is 'Church'! Excellent craftsmanship on rail, also.
    Use of '40-'48 clutch 'Z-bar' to frame is commendable, I used that in my '30 Cabriolet in 1956. What did you use on the frame rail for its support ball? (vise grip 'C' clamp is hiding the ball bracket)
    Loving the pics, keep it up!

21. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Thanks Mike! The ‘40-‘48 clutch linkage i just had laying around and it ended up working out perfectly. I made a small bracket that bolts to the frame that puts the pivot ball slightly below the frame. The bracket is slotted so I can move it back and forth accordingly while adjusting the engine/transmission position. I posted a photo of it below (before I drilled it). When everything is exactly where it needs to be I can just make another one a bit less crude. I got my pedals heated and bent and we are definitely in the ball park, the mounting bracket will be finished nice once the body is off.

Attached Files:

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great use of the '40-'48 linkage. Pedals reshaped nicely, lined up vertically thru toeboard.
    This should be textbook, the use of F1 pedals, bracket, cross member...

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rarely do you see C19 being put in a positive light...but here we are...

Hotrod is happening...congrats and bring it on...and good on you for starting at an earlier age...;)

24. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good. I remember going through this exact same thing. Have you figured out what exhaust manifold you'll use and where are you going to route your exhaust pipe? On mine with the clutch and brake setup there wasn't much room for an exhaust pipe so I ran my DS exhaust over to the PS and down the PS under the car.

25. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

I ended up ordering the headers that Dave Havlir makes. I’m a decent welder and I can fabricate basic things, but I really didn’t feel like spending 40 hours making a set of headers to wind up throwing them out. I could use those 40 hours getting a lot of other stuff accomplished. I also wanted to get a handle on the exhaust before I pull the body that way there aren’t any headaches waiting for me when I get the body back on. I guess once they arrive I’ll know my next move. I find that if you get all the tedious, head scratching, pain in the ass stuff outta the way first, the rest of the build is cake.

…..or at least in theory.

26. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Been moving along with odds and ends, mostly prepping/detailing…. Got my dash sorted out… I’ve always want to put a ‘39 Merc cluster in a ‘32 dash and that’s what I did. I’m pretty happy with how it came out. I’m halfway done with porting the block, I’m hoping to have that done within the week.

Attached Files:

oliver westlund, hfh, Lil'Alb and 7 others like this.
  27. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work. The ports look good.

28. 50John

50John
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great idea on the dash layout.

Atwater Mike, Stogy and fiftiescat like this.
  29. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Dash looks great.

30. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looking good!

fiftiescat and Stogy like this.