Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pulled Dad's 37 pickup out of the barn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Poppinjohnnies, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wow great project!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

How are the cab mounting wood pieces?

loudbang, Stogy and dirty old man like this.
  3. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

A little update. Fenders and running boards removed. Lots of rusty bolts that haven’t been off the truck since it was rolling down the Ford assembly line. Next is the steering column/ box and then the cab.

Attached Files:

4. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Dad got it stripped down to a rolling frame. We’ll peel it naked and then it’s off to the blaster to get cleaned up and a fresh powder coat. D7786ACE-1F71-4D3A-8857-4B8C6A4E69EA.jpeg

5. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Dad and I ended up in the Feb. 2022 Hot Rod with his '37 Ford pickup! That was an unexpected surprise. The truck is in an earlier thread of mine. Dad has it stripped down to the bare frame, and it's heading to the powder coater next month. I drug a few dead flathead V-8s to my shop yesterday to see if I could salvage some parts. It looks like we do have a useable Merc crank! I am in need of some opinions / advice. We have a couple of (what appears to be) good '37 - '38 blocks, and I brought home a few late model engines to disassemble and inspect. What block would be a better one to run in this, old style or later?

lothiandon1940 and catdad49 like this.
  6. Run the later block...just my 2 cents ! keep the updates coming...

7. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

It’s been a while, but here’s an update. The truck is stripped to the bones, and everything was blasted and primed. I tore apart a couple of spare flatheads looking for useable parts. One was a Merc engine with a hole in the side of the pan from a thrown rod. The block was junk, but luckily the crank looks pretty good. There’s a local older gentleman with a large cache of parts who has offered some to me, so I’m hoping that there will be some good stuff there that will help us out.

Attached Files:

oliver westlund and simplestone like this.
  8. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

The wood was in excellent condition. We plan to reuse all of it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Here’s some more pictures. The grille was missing a bar. Dad made one out of a piece of scrap. I thought he did a good job. Next is the frame and suspension rebuild. The engine will follow that. Dad bought a rebuilt transmission from a guy a while back, so that’s covered.

Attached Files:

10. Cgrgrspt10

Cgrgrspt10
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin good!

Poppinjohnnies likes this.
  11. 1952henry

1952henry

Thanks for updates.

Poppinjohnnies likes this.
  12. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Haven’t had an update for a while. The frame is painted, and dad is working on the front and rear suspension now. Here is a picture of the bushing that was a real booger to remove. One step at a time…

Attached Files:

13. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

Say, we need to buy or borrow a king pin reamer for this truck. We'll probably need to do the same thing to a '36 Ford pickup as well (future project). What's the best (and cheapest) source for a reamer?

14. back up to the top