Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Do Chopped 59 fairlanes exist?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Zombiefink, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Having a talk currently with my workmate during lunch and he seems pretty adamant that 59 fairlanes don't exist chopped due to the A pillars. Does anyone have pics of a 59 ford chopped?

Jackson

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    ^^^^ This could be a trick of the camera but it looks chopped to me.
    [​IMG]
    chopped but it's a convertible or "homemade roadster"

3. Unfinished project random pic
    311CEC2C-A2B9-4864-9723-C43D5DEEAAE9.jpeg

this thing
    3B155641-60D8-48BC-95E2-2FB9F859D3D4.jpeg

T-birds have a similar A-post
    A few of them have been cut
    25807534-5334-4408-8C3A-DFCE13EF6F35.jpeg

Jounik, OahuEli, LOST ANGEL and 2 others like this.
  4. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

That would be mean w/ a 223 w/ split exhaust manifold! :eek:

Joe

anthony myrick likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Sure, it's easy if you use a GM windshield frame!

Lil32, Stogy, winduptoy and 4 others like this.
  6. [​IMG]
    This is a 57 not 59. The real issue with a 59 is that the top of the glass has a knotch in it at the top corners. Not that it can't be done but I have never seen one. Note the windshield corner.
    59 Galixy 004.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. That black thing is badass!!
    Would dare say camera angle though

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  8. How many chop tops do we see that are abandoned due to glass fit issues?

9. They generally have a For Sale sign on them.

10. ........A testament to poor planning or some cars just shouldn't be chopped.:)

bobss396, Zombiefink and F-ONE like this.
  11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I just posted this over to Guthrie's thread on his boy's 59 Edsel, but these cars IMHO don't lend themselves well to chopping. The roof across the top, both as Custom/Fairlane and a Galaxie, is too flat. When the top comes down, there is no flow front to back, the top just comes down vertically, which gives the car a real squashed look. Not that you could really chop the front more than 2" anyway, since the glass isn't really cut, but more laid back, with the material coming out of the bottom corners. I don't think any of the 59s here are visually improved by the top chop, and in some cases, the opposite. Even that black one.

Contrast that with that killer 57, which has a steady flow from front to back, and looks sleek.

12. I worked on a 55-57 Chevy truck that some guys from Oakland chopped and couldn't get a windshield in it. They told us they would give us a 64 Impala SS that was juiced if we could put a windshield in it. The Impala was nice, Black with the silver interior, so we did it. What we did was make a fiberglass copy of the windshield, cut it down the center and made each piece fit the truck. Once we had each piece fit we put a center strip down the windshield opening so we could put a piece of trim there like a 40's car. We had a guy that knew what he was doing cut the glass windshield in half and fit each piece to the fiberglass pieces we made. We then glued each half into the truck. That juiced Impala was a lot of fun. This was close to 40 years ago.

lothiandon1940 and Woogeroo like this.
  13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

14. The '59 as is has a pretty low roof line. If I park my OT newer Malibu next to my hedges, I see the roof. I park my '59 in the same spot, I can't see it.

OahuEli and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. The only chop that would be easier is to use a hardtop roof/glass onto a sedan. You would get 2”chop. You need to find club coupe - it’s the model that uses the hardtop trim, doors,garnish and windows to make it all work.
    By the time you do all this you might as well of found and built a club coupe.

I know a guy that is doing this to a ‘58 ranchero and using the front half of a club coupe and glass, doors to make a phantom chopped 58 Edselchero

16. hotdamn

hotdamn

Is that 2hep??