Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What's Your Unobtainium Car Accessory?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 9, 2021.

1. egads

egads

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ O'Brien Trucker's still makes one.

2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

3. speedshifter

speedshifter

This has to be the coolest auto accessory in history so hear me out. I was looking at a friend's shabby old 39 Ford coupe resting in long time storage inside an old barn. Looking at the dash board I saw a clear globular protrusion sicking out from each of the two round gauges. I asked my friend what in the world they were. He chuckled and replied " you dirty old man, you should recognize them". What they were was a pair, transparent, of a buxom woman's boobs! They were glass and very delicious looking. I won't tell you how much I offered him for them but no sale. He said his father had bought the old coupe in the 40's and they were there at that time. Wow! speedshifter Greg W

4. sawzall

sawzall

I liked the repros so much, I reproduced them!!

I have several sets available now including one set in bronze..

If you're looking send me a p.m.

QUOTE="Tim_with_a_T, post: 14322627, member: 149617"]Has anyone ever tried to mimic these by starting with a set of guide headlights? I feel like you could get about halfway there without too much work.

I know for awhile, and this was years ago, but someone was on ebay selling cast aluminum shells that were some crude copies, and with some work, I always thought they might work "for me". BUT, lo and behold, I haven't seen a set in a loooooonnnggg time. Ah well.... I love those headlights.[/QUOTE]

41 coupe likes this.
  5. 58-Ford-F100-Custom-DV_14-RMH-i02.jpeg

57-60 F100 Custom Cab Steering wheel with INTACT horn rim. Both scarcity and price keep me from it.

PoTaToTrUcK and Max Gearhead like this.
  6. olddaddy

olddaddy

A late 50s Dodge/Plymouth 2bbl intake for a 230 flathead six...........unobtanium! IMG_5231.JPG

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Could of had a complete engine with that intake at a local swapmeet for 50 dollars but no room to store it.

8. I'd like a nice unpitted set of OEM parking lamp housings for my '56 Fairlane. I haven't found any unless they're repops and I've read those have casting issues.

9. A nice original Henry J dash script emble is pretty much impossible to find

Screenshot_20211226-204630_Google.jpg

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

34FF3CD0-5431-45D8-A8EA-B462D03699B1.jpeg

I’ve been on the lookout for a pair of dealership running board step plates for years. I have a pair, but they aren’t matching. So, still looking for the mates to the ones I have. Not a lot of money, but hard to find. This is on my CCPU passenger side and came from a Denver Ford dealership

11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I love the look of four Webber carbs on a small bock Ford, now I know the the setup can be found, maybe even new. The unataineum part is the green to make the purchase.
    I'd also like a modern manual transmission with OD that can handle the power of the small block.
    Dream big or go home...

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  12. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Bermuda Bells are quite useful for attracting the ladies, too.

swade41, -Brent- and rod1 like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-28_4-37-36.jpeg
    Hello,

“UNOBTANIUM: A GOOD WORKING ALTERNATIVE SOUND PLAYER FOR OUR OWN MUSIC…”

Well, if Cassius Clay could not figure out that those 45 record players did not work well in moving cars, at the time, it was up to all of us to experiment with those funky players. Ever try to listen to them while trying to get up and down in the local drive-in bumps? Or even driving down the normal street and a small hole jiggles your wheel/tire? Or the smooth sound coming out of the player into those awful factory speakers and then accidentally kicking one on the side?

These are all faults of the early try of a "cool accessory." Even during the late 50s and early 60s, we had to listen to the only thing available, an AM radio. So, these record players were purchased with glee as it was a new way to listen to what you wanted to hear and not from the AM radio. The little, fat, flip, album inserts got full fast and were also a problem for storage. It could not just sit around on the seats during any time, let alone the hot summers.
    upload_2021-12-28_5-4-24.png

Jnaki

At the time, those 45 record players, as small and large, were tried and looked good at car shows with the accessory panels chromed. But, in reality, they were failures. Skips and bumps and skinny needles did not go together, that is for sure. We even went as far as trying to modify a Reel to Reel Tape Recorder/player to fit on the hump. At least, they would not skip as much as a rotating 45 rpm record and a needle.

Most of the Reel to Reel Tape players/recorders were too large to fit nicely under the dash. But the idea of recording your own music at home with the 45 record player directly into your own Reel to Reel tape was fascinating. Trunks had unlimited space, but no direct access to change the tape or fast forward to the next popular song not in the playing order. No such thing as remote controls, back then, either.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    By 1958, our dad bought his own early stereo unit. since he had it in our study den, a couple of teenagers took over the daily usage for our experiments. As nice as the record player was, it could send music directly to the built-in side by side Reel to Reel Tape Recorder. We could listen to our own 45 rpm records. The advantage to this unit was that along with the record player to tape, the built-in recorder activity included recording FM and AM sounds from stations we could tune in and find, with clarity of the sounds.

So, yes, as teenagers, we did have an UNOBTAINIUM CAR ACCESSORY that we could not get locally at the stereo store or car radio shop. Quality music of our own choices in a player small enough to fit under or inside of the glove box.

Jump up 60 years and a small apple IPod music player does the thing we have always wanted in our cars from the way back time machine. No skips, pops or bad fuzzy music was the result. The ability to drive anywhere, at anytime listening to cool music without the worry of the dreaded sound of a needle scratching across the big hole 45 rpm record. If possible, it was “Back to The Future” for us…YRMV

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Moriarity likes this.
  14. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

This is pretty much like the Wanted section.

-Brent- and Paul like this.
  15. southerncad

southerncad

Hamtown Al and -Brent- like this.
  16. raven

raven

EELco gauges.
    r

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

there are some in the classifieds right now

18. raven

raven

I know. Already PM'd him, you hoarder...:p
    r

Moriarity likes this.
  19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I scored 2 over the weekend. 1 3 bolt and 1 bolt.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  20. indyjps

indyjps

TIME
    to make all the parts I already have into what I see in my head. :D

Max Gearhead likes this.
  21. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An affordable orange 14.5” or 15” Covico wheel like my yellow one. Also, a blue fuzzy T like my red one : 89C60CD9-3999-433A-B33E-B7A4B02789E4.jpeg 162CC786-846B-45BD-9558-22C76CD3790D.jpeg

chevy57dude and Moriarity like this.