Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fiberglass fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by art ebeling, Dec 26, 2021.

1. art ebeling

art ebeling

Who has the best fiberglass 36 truck fenders? Do they have a roll on the backside of the edges like original metal fenders or are they flat and thin like I remember glass fenders from the 80s? Art

2. I agree with Wescott as the best choice.
    Vic

3. art ebeling

art ebeling

What about the inside of the edges? Art

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Call them Monday, I'm sure they can tell you.
    KK

X38 and seb fontana like this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

X38 likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used Wescott's rear fenders on a 36 5 window I built in my 20's, I drove out to Gresham and bought them from Dee. I remember them needing nothing but a good block sanding to be ready for paint. The fender lip was spot on and once they were painted they were unidentifiable as glass other than by magnet I suppose. I drove that car for years and never starred the paint on those rear fenders. My steel fronts didn't hold up as well.

X38 likes this.
  7. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

My first car was a 36 Ford 1/2 ton pickup in 1962. It had fiberglass rear fenders but I have no idea who made them.

8. NoelC

NoelC

I bought a set of fiberglass fenders from Wescott, and would agree, they were just like the originals, but out of fiberglass. That said, like the originals, I thought they needed improving.

IMG_8848.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    I like smooth and the original fender lip wasn't an improvement still being a weak spot as a collector of road grime, and the inside was rougher then I liked to see. This was done around the once idea of a conduit tube welded formed to fit into the steel fender lip as a reinforcement, and prevent the collection of road grime.

The rope was 5/8" fiberglass wood stove seal soaked in resin then set in the curl of the lip. Followed by some matting to aid in filling the corners/crease, then short strand fiberglass filler.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon