Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 ford pickup fender fitment

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by zoomo, Dec 23, 2021.

1. zoomo

zoomo

Hello all, we are trying to keep this truck as original as possible but it's becoming obvious some things will be to be changed. Anyway, my current obstruction is rear fender fitment. I'll just post the picture here, any information or suggestion is greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. looks like the fender just needs moved ahead

3. zoomo

zoomo

I'm just trying to understand why it doesn't mate up. Everything seems original and unmodified. But was of course apart when I received it. The bed measures at 79 inches which seems to be correct but possibly slightly too wide ( later style bed?) Should there be any blocks under the running boards to push them away from the frame? Also the running boards seem to be correct length at 39 inches from the point to the end. If I push the bed hard against the cab I still have like a 2 inch gap between rear fender and running board. My current solution would be possibly moving the fenders and mounting studs forward on the bed but I just feel like I have an incorrect part somewhere. Thanks again guys, I'll keep yall updated. Let me know if anyone has an idea!!

4. zoomo

zoomo

So I thought that may be the case Pontiac, the hole in the fender confuses me.... should that be there on a truck fender?

But here's what makes me second guess that. Passenger fender has same fitment and dent for spare. Also bolt holes in fenders line up with bed and the fender is even contoured to the bed where it crosses the stamped section.

Thanks again for the replies guys, let me know what yall think

5. zoomo

zoomo

Bed shoved hard against cab here

Attached Files:

6. zoomo

zoomo

Is it possible I have a newer bed? 42-48 ?

From what I can find, lengths are the same but maybe fender placement is different?

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Hole in fender is for fuel tank filler neck (passenger car?).

8. I believe the passenger car fender attachment points are angled to fit the wheel well but the pickup fenders are vertical to fit the vertical bed sides. Also if the fender is shaped to fit the raised portion of the fender it must be a pickup fender. The box sides were virtually the same through 1950, the difference being in the width of the box. After 1941 the boxes were 3" wider. If you look carefully at the picture supplied by Pontnaki123 you can see that your fender is placed too far back. Perhaps that box was on a truck with a longer wheelbase like a 1-ton. You need to redrill the mounting holes forward after positioning the fender correctly by simply bolting it up to the back of the running board. Then the wheel should be roughly positioned correctly in the wheel opening. I say roughly because with the torque tube axle the wheel position slides rearward as you lower body.

Torchie likes this.
  9. zoomo

zoomo

Thank you so much ol' blue. I believe that is the direction I am going to end up taking. I love these old cars and trucks, but I'm somewhat young myself at 34 and finding information or someone who knows is certainly a struggle at times! So glad I have this place to come to with you guys.

A little backstory, the truck was received at my shop to finish "quickly" for a gentleman, they said it just needed put together...Well I'm quickly realizing it of course needs more than that...lots of nicely painted, rusted and locked up parts.
    Anyway, after much research last night and through the help of you guys giving me some ideas, I believe this is a mid 40's cab and bed, and I believe he probably has 40 car front fenders, and running boards. I'm really hoping its truck stuff, but I haven't attempted to fit the hood yet, and the way everything else has went I have my doubts.

It's all good though, I'll get it driving for him in no time. Thanks again for the help guys, and I'll be back through with more questions soon I'm sure :)

PS: I got the old flathead in it fired up yesterday, and it sounded and ran good, so not everything is bad!

pprather and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  10. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i left a post yesterday saying it looks like you have a passenger car fender and posted a picture of a side view of a 40 pickup fender but someone deleted the picture because it had aluminum wheels. anyway same picture different wheels. the picture shows how the 40 41 truck fenders are much longer and swoop back towards the bed 178666_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

rod1, Nitroholic and zoomo like this.
  11. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

or you can use your current fenders and fit to the running boards and redrill the box like ol'blue sugested

12. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i have wescot rear fenders , i had to extend the running board 1 1/2 " on passenger side only , the fender was different than driver side , after checking all dim ... screw up at wescot ..........

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I own a 41 truck, apart for painting at the moment, are you sure the cab is in the right spot? Looks like everything needs to go forward. Can you show me a picture of the cab "legs" where they reach the frame?

14. The wheelbase on your '40 1/2 ton is 112". It appears that you are probably dealing with a bed from a '42 or later truck which has a 114" wheelbase.

joel, X38 and PONTNAK123 like this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I believe you have something in this statement. A few years ago I was piecing together a ‘40/‘41 pickup from parts. I could not find a set of pickup front fenders, but did score a nice pair of passenger car fenders. What I determined was that they coild be made to work…..

It would require reshaping the front fender attach flange where it abutted the cowl and more to the point, the contour of the rear portion of the front fender was also different than a truck. That too could be made to fit by reworking the leading edge of the running board running board which had a gap between it and the fender. If someone merely moved the running board forward, it would put the gap at the back of the board, resulting in a fitment problem similar to what you have encountered. Worth checking it out.

Best wishes,
    Ray

17. Budget36

Budget36

Take a look at where the rear tires locate in the fenders.

18. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here are inside pictures of a pair of car fenders and inside picture of one truck fender ngl3pXI.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Papas32 likes this.
  19. zoomo

zoomo

Thank you everyone for the replies and all the help.

To answer Billy first, I had hoped the cab was in the wrong place, but the cab firewall is about half an inch from the rear of the engine. I can take pictures on monday.

I believe we are certainly on the right track with this being a 42 or newer bed causing the issues. We were really hoping to not have to paint this truck, but I believe moving the rear fenders forward is the easiest solution at this point. As well as narrowing the bed and tailgate, or possibly contouring the rear fender overhang at the bottom.
    Thank you so much pontnak for those pictures, all very helpful. And from the pictures of the fenders, I can confirm my rears are definetely trucks. Fronts I still can't say for sure, but Monday I'll try to mount the hood and see where that sits on the front fenders.

Also thank you nitro for the wheelbase, I hadn't come across that anywhere, and that certainly confirms it.

Thanks everyone else for the pics , experiences and thoughts. Please let me know if anyone can think of an easier solution! Otherwise, monday, I will move forward with moving the fenders.

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@zoomo

The truck and car front fenders use the same inner fender, and the hood to fender line is the same.
    In my experience, the differences between car and truck front fenders are in the aft third of the fender as described in my earlier post.

Ray

joel likes this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So was it all assembled when you got it and you took it apart? If you need any measurements from my truck and bed I am happy to assist.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. zoomo

zoomo

The cab and engine were installed when we received the truck. The rest was not installed. I have went ahead with moving the fenders forward and ordering a new front bed panel and a new tail gate to narrow the bed. I have the front fenders mounted to the running boards and the cab, and the hood set on. everything seems like its going to work. But I really need to get the front fender supports and the hood hinges to make certain.

23. zoomo

zoomo

Some pics of my progress

Attached Files:

Dan Hay and Hamtown Al like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What am I looking at here? Are these the frame horns extending through the front fenders?
    upload_2022-1-3_11-59-26.png

25. I zoomed in and it looks like 2x4s sticking through the bumper iron holes to hold the fenders up

Bandit Billy likes this.
  26. zoomo

zoomo

Sorry for the confusion Billy, Those are just some pieces of wood I have stuck in the frame to support the fenders in the front lol. I'm working on the bumper brackets but they aren't quite ready.

DDDenny I'm not sure which comment :(

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, I see that now. Good call.

28. Ordering the narrower '40/'41 front of bed panel and tailgate, in addition to narrowing the piece below the tailgate should bring it all together now that you moved your fenders forward.
    Your cab is '40/'41..the seat riser is '40/'41 different from '46/'47 , (no rear panel on riser itself), instead was a piece of wood supported by brackets, that are obvious when looking at rear of '46/'47 cabs where 2 large round headed (think stove bolt) are visible, in addition to no hole where the in cab gas tank fill would have exited on '46/'47 p/u's.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My bad, I will delete my post.

30. zoomo

zoomo

Getting there

Attached Files:

Hamtown Al and PONTNAK123 like this.