Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What have I got here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by X-cpe, Dec 22, 2021.

1. X-cpe

X-cpe

DSC00613.JPG

A friend gave me several pieces of 1" tubing with approximately a 3/8" hole down the center that has been bored and threaded on the ends for 1/2" spherical rod ends. They came off his AA truck when he switched from IRS to a solid axle. I want to use them for the lower arms and the upper Y bar on on my rear. There is enough meat to thread them for 5/8-18 bushed adjusters. My question is, "What kind of steel tubing do I have?" I've never seen anything with those spiral rings on it.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Spiral weld seamed pipe. Similar to the longitudinal welded pipe (with a seam running straight down the length of it). Different to drawn tube, which has no seam weld.

Cheers,
    Harv

lothiandon1940 and blowby like this.
  3. Pipe bad... Mechanical tubing good!

4. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Not always. High-spec pipe can outperform low-spec tube.

Cheers,
    Harv

5. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s one of them there Damascus gun barrel starter kits.

John

6. rbrewer likes this.
  7. chop&drop

chop&drop

Your picture does not look like spiral welded pipe. Spiral welded pipe is typically only made in large diameters starting around 6”, is submerged arc welded and the seam welds are very apparent. A 3/4” pipe would have an o.d. of 1.050” and there is no 3/4” pipe schedule that even comes close to a 3/8” i.d. I believe what you are seeing is just a spiral finishing mark sometimes seen on tubing from going through rollers in the finishing process. I would not be afraid to use it.

8. X-cpe

X-cpe

That's what I wanted to hear since I already own this tubing. The first I ever heard of spiral welded pipe was when Harv mentioned it, so I googled it. Most of what I found was written in poor third world English and I thought, "No go." After your post I went out and hit it with some 80 grit on a DA and the spiral marks disappeared. There is no sign of any welded seam anywhere on the tube. Finally got smart enough to use a bolt to reach past the counter bored end and measure the ID: 5/16" goes, 3/8" doesn't. Stout piece of tubing.

9. Pav8427

Pav8427

DOM. Drawn Over Mandrel. Non welded basically extruded cold rolled steel. Accurate diameters and concentricity.
    I belive you can get also in any of the better 4xxx grades and possibly SS also. Good stuff.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. X-cpe

X-cpe