Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi ID needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  2. Got me too
    My old hemi friend explained the misconception years ago when I drug one out of a scrap yard years ago.
    The PAW guys were incorrect.
    Sometimes I wonder if if the old style 331 heads just phased out that year creating the confusion. But the one year only casting number makes ya think otherwise.

3. 1954 was a crossover year for the 331. The block lost the long bell but retained the thermostat in the intake manifold. The port and valve size were increased and a four barrel carburetor were added. The front cover and water pump were the same casting as 51 to 53. The heads and intake were one year castings as far as I know.
    The Howard front cover is nice as long as you can figure out a water pump with it. The OEM timing cover and water pump were extremely heavy, both being cast iron.

4. Tho add to the confusion there apparently were 1954 Hemis with the long bell block, most likely leftovers from the previous year.

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. dwollam

dwollam

I agree with @slayer and thinking 1954. I have the same intake and heads now on my '52 331.

Dave

6. Wrench97

Wrench97

The front cover could be used to run the raw(sea) water pump on a marine engine.

7. I used the iron front cove on my '52 221. "I cut the water pumpf off the front and had the remainder cad plated to simulate an after market item. Then I modified a stainless 4" centrifugal pump from the junk yard to mount like an alternator to pump the warer. Works great. Was done as a necessity; no room in a Willys for that monster factory front setup.

Figure 4.jpg Figure 5.jpg Figure 6.jpg Figure 7.jpg IMG_1594.JPG

8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Based on the stuff posted and the pics im seeing the one laying kn its side is a 392 right?

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does appear so. Best to check the number on it, though.

oliver westlund likes this.
  10. scotts52

scotts52

That's what I'm banking on.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing wrong with a 354.

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, nothing wrong with a short-bell 331.

Or even a long bell either, as long as you can get the transmission handled.

It's all about looks these days; if you want to make real power, there are cheaper, easier ways to do it. Nobody knows the difference anymore, I ran into a guy a few years ago who tried to tell me the long-bell in his coupster (which says a lot) was a 426. Unfortunately for him, I am one of the knowledgeable.

13. scotts52

scotts52

Nothing wrong at all with a pair of hemis. If they are both only 331s I got a fair deal. Anything larger than a 331 and the deal just gets better and better. Not even sure what I'm going to build around them yet. I just know the old school hemis are becoming fewer and fewer. They're kinda like a 32 Ford. You don't necessarily pay too much, you just bought them too early.

oliver westlund and Budget36 like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am still looking for another short bell block to build up an engine for my brother, Either a 331 or a 354 will do. 392's still pull a premium price.

I have a 6-71 on top of my 354. It is mostly for the look. My neighbor is making more power with his Honda and a hairdryer. He spent a whole lot less, too.

scotts52 and Budget36 like this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing I found 25 years ago : 331 racing pistons (12.5:1) are at least twice as expensive as a set for a 392. I don't know if it's still true, but back then, I could have saved a bunch of dough had I found a 392 rather than the 331 I did.

scotts52 and Budget36 like this.
  16. scotts52

scotts52

Finally got to look at them in person. Things have been really snowed in. Still lots of snow but was able to make it to the shop where they're at.
    The complete one is a 56 DeSoto 330 according to the number and the other disassembled one is a 57 Chrysler 392

dwollam and Desoto291Hemi like this.