Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone have experience peening porous holes shut in aluminum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HardcoreZ28, Dec 17, 2021.

1. finn

finn

Your issued the point that it’s an obsolete transmission, no longer available from GM. They don’t sell them anymore, or even have stock to sell.

He would have to find a new one from some aftermarket wholesaler ( that’s where this one was from, and it was the last one in the county), or find a rebuilt one from some random rebuilder.

loudbang likes this.
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`d swap it out with a different kind of tranny. Yes, he would have to change his driveshaft and his tranny hump in the floor. That is what I meant to say.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

Unfortunately I built my trans tunnel and shifter around this particular transmission and with the truck already painted and undercoated that's risky business

loudbang likes this.
  4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well since you are commited to using this transmission, and are going to take it out, I would want to get a fix on it that I was confident in for the long haul. You will have to decide for yourself where your comfort level is for each repair option. The drilling for a drain plug might be the best repair without taking it apart. I would rather fix your new one than looking for a used one. I admit to at times getting anal about some things. So even though the NV 3500 sucks to get apart compared to other transmissions, I would want to see it apart and fix it once now and not wind up pulling it out again down the road. But that's just me.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

There's always the bar of Ivory soap trick.
    I never tried it myself, but a fellow I respect recommended it a few decades back.

For nuisance leaks I'm usually an epoxy or RTV guy.

6. I have heard that too ... drop a bar of soap in a certain environment and there's a good chance your hole will be filled :eek:o_O

7. I would try the JB weld method on that little leak. I have fixed similar situation on customers cars and the problem has not returned, on several it has been years and no leak.

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. patterg2003

patterg2003

It is hard to tell what you have without an xray. It may be one porous bunch of metal with the best part of the area exposed to the outside. Could roll it over so the spot is in the highest position to avoid contaminating a repair. Blast it a few times with brake cleaner, rinse it well with acetone then butter it with JB weld. The mill where I worked had a leak on a large piece of electrical equipment that had pin leak in a weld, had 115Kv going through it that could not be shut down or welded on. It was steel so a few hits with a punch sealed it, then acetone and JB weld. That was 2004 and it is still good. Not sure if it is safe to punch porous aluminum not knowing what the full story is with the metal condition in that spot.

loudbang and HardcoreZ28 like this.
  9. Return for refund or exchange. Or por15 the spot and aluminum paint with spray can to hide the Por15 paint.

10. Joe H

Joe H

Can you pressurize the internals to make sure it's only the one hole? Dad bought a set of first run aluminum heads for his Pontiac, one had so many pores leaking it looked like a foam machine when put pressure to it!

Truck64 and loudbang like this.
  11. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Us old school guys would drill the hole and thread it for a brass screw. Use thread lock on it, Cut and grind any excess sticking out the outside to your satisfaction and it's good to go. Use a center punch to stake the screw in place and don't let it protrude on the inside too much. Stake it in there, too, if you can get at it.

Hemi Joel, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

These are all very good ideas. I'm hoping to get back to it next week....covid has been kicking my butt the last 5 days.

I won't be returning it as I'm almost positive they can't get me a replacement. I'll probably try JB Weld first and if it fails down the road I'll try to drill and tap for a plug.

loudbang, TrailerTrashToo and Truck64 like this.
  13. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

For those of you who followed this I finally got around to the repair this week. I pulled the trans and put it on its side to keep fluid away from the holes. I peened it with a rounded punch and hammer and it looked like the holes were covered. I put a thin coat of JB Weld over it after, feathered the edges in and touched up the paint. You'll never know the repair is there once it's back in the truck. I'm letting it cure another day or two and I'll reinstall the trans this weekend....hopefully leak free 20220111_084630.jpg 20220112_180551.jpg

14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfect,looks like it never happened!

loudbang likes this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Hope it works out for you.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.