Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

After your car is as dependable as you can make it and you have selected tools for the box and spare parts you won't likely find in a small town parts store be sure to add a tow strap and a sleeping bag before you hit the road! :rolleyes:

Stogy, J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  2. RodStRace

RodStRace

"That Model A body makes it look like a pup".

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  3. RodStRace

RodStRace

A sleeping bag and some water are in every car I drive on roads with less than a car every 10 minutes, no matter how reliable! The car can sit on the side of the road for a long time without needs, but I gotta stay hydrated and warm/shaded. You can add more stuff to the list, but these will get you thru a night if needed.

Stogy, J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

And they have!:) I wrapped my two dogs in blankets I carry in my pickup last night after I got them out of coyote traps in a snow storm. Glad I had them.

Stogy, J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  5. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Do you know the manufacture of the front crossmember? I need one like that.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It never hurts to have AAA/RV-PLUS coverage as well, that is the best $189.00, annual fee, a person can justify.
    I totally agree about the tools, blanket/sleeping bag, water, rain jacket, when needed, sure is nice to have!

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Glad they're okay! Blankets have been added to my "must have" for the trunk list.

I believe it's a repro Model A piece from SoCal, and it came with the frame. It pinches the rails a little bit and will bring the nose down an inch or so.

I agree. I do have full coverage with free towing within 100 miles from Hagerty, which gives some peace of mind.

8. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Thanks Joey

J.Ukrop likes this.
  9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hey all,

Not too much to report on the roadster front as of late, but I have been on the road. After a fun and productive week at the Ridetech HQ in Jasper, Indiana, I made the trip north to the metro Detroit area to spend Christmas with my family. There's no doubt that the highlight of the 400+ mile haul was my lunch stop in Fort Wayne.
    IMG_0619.JPG
    From the moment I walked out of my hotel, it was raining. It rained all morning and into the afternoon. Sometimes it came down in sheets, while other times it was more of a mist. I didn't mind much. I was knocking down miles with a distinct destination in mind: Powers Hamburgers.

If you've made it this far in this thread, you probably know how much I love a traditional roadside hamburger (or, a hamburg, as Kerouac called them). These small burgers mashed up with onions are extremely difficult to find in California these days, and I try to hunt them down whenever I'm anywhere close to the Midwest. After digging around on Roadarch.com, I discovered Powers and was immediately attracted to the Deco-style building and the neon sign. They've been around since 1940.

I walked in, sat down at the counter and immediately felt at ease. I glanced at the menu, placed my order and soaked in the sights, sounds and the unmistakable smell of grilled onions. Soon thereafter, I was greeted by a pile of hamburgs. The perfect supplement to the latest issue of DicE Magazine. (Thanks @Kid Rocker!)
    IMG_0616.jpg
    As I was chatting with some of the locals, I mentioned that I was there from San Francisco. "San Francisco?!" one said. "That's a looong way to come just for a hamburger!" We all laughed, and I was on my way.
    IMG_0629.JPG
    In Fort Wayne I also stumbled upon City Glass. There's no doubt that they've cut some hot rod and custom car windshields and windows in their day. If it weren't closed, I would have went in and asked. Sounds like a story for next time.

Other than that, I'm working on some pretty big pieces behind the scenes. I don't have any major developments, but I figured I would let you know that I'm still chipping away. That's all for now!

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Reason 9 million to never leave the Midwest. Absolutely no effort involved in finding a perfect Hamburg.

though I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t driven several hundred miles for the right one. Happy holidays bud

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Burgers, hot rods, and highways. 3 of the top 5. You get to pick your own other 2. :rolleyes:

J.Ukrop and RodStRace like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Beautiful women and cold beer.

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The last two are personal and can change in a heartbeat depending on circumstance.:D

J.Ukrop and Woogeroo like this.
  14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I see the HELL oil co. badge on his arm...
    many years ago my buddy Mike D. designed the Shell oil emblem that it emulates...

15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

And geography. I have been know to drink warm beer on occasion.

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

To quote one of my favorite Texas hot rodders, " My favorite beer is free beer my second favorite is cold beer." I've been stealing his line for 20 years. :rolleyes:
    Actually there may be more than 5 things.

kevinrevin, J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I was taught at a very young age that there was only two kinds of beer.
    The kind you like, and FREE!

J.Ukrop, Six Ball, 51504bat and 2 others like this.
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm home for the holidays and I've been working on some bigger pieces of the puzzle that I'll hopefully be able to share soon.

Right before I left San Francisco, Yama and I rode around town and made this video about the other vintage machine in my garage.

I've also been collecting hot rod inspiration from here and there.
    269600667_2413845428748769_8160677521386413550_n.jpg

269743381_10228050027459905_1445988797184647933_n.jpg

269734450_10228049975978618_592437980355877819_n.jpg
    Hope everyone is doing well!

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oooooo tease!
    Happy holidays haha :)

J.Ukrop, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  20. What is bolted to the front of the one carb? At first I thought a temp sending unit but it looks like a wire or tube enters the float bowl top from the bottom of the unit.

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  21. Fuel giz for SouthWind gas heater; see where the small line on it goes into a hole drilled in the carb top and there would be second line running into the cab and connected to the heater.

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  22. Learn something everyday. Thanks for explaining and the video.

41 GMC K-18, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

1F7B2D90-7443-4840-9DA9-052FA678D11C.jpeg
    I have a lot of catching up to do, but Santa in Kentucky was good to me. Michigan Santa was too! But more on all of that later.

I dropped back in town for 24 hours and ripped the roadster all around the city and beyond. The battery didn’t drain more than 0.1V after sitting for most of the month, and it’s back to full charge after a day of driving. 29C003C5-0EC3-403D-AA89-E13576F30AC8.jpeg Happy New Year friends! Thanks for all the stories, laughs and support in 2021. I’m looking forward to a big 2022!

24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After a quick trip to Lake Tahoe's winter wonderland, I'm back at my desk. And you know what that means—time for updates.

Let's turn back the clock a couple of weeks. While I was in the Midwest for Christmas, I was able to pencil in a few pieces of the quickchange equation. I've tracked down two complete '40 Ford banjos—one of which I'll be using for rough mockup and the other will be outfitted with a V8 center-section. I'll have more details on this later in the month.

So, what's the story on the intake? Back in the 1971, my friend Patrick Knight was working for the NHRA. On a trip to California for the Winternationals, he met with Phil Weiand at the Weiand headquarters. "In Mr. Weiand's office was a wall of shelving with prototype and cutaway intakes, ranging all the way from the flathead days to a Boss 429 example," Patrick recalls. "I thought I was in heaven!" He said Phil was a true gentleman; they two talked about historic properties in Patrick's hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.

Years later, Patrick bought this intake to run on his Model A project. Although the car—a chopped and channeled coupe—has come and gone, he held on to the old 2x2. It spent more than 30 years in his display case, until last month when he so graciously gifted it to me.
    IMG_0570.jpg
    Longtime readers will remember that Patrick also made the incredible neon sign in my garage.
    IMG_8250.jpg
    Next, I'll install a pair of fresh Stromberg 97's, which should be arriving here in the next couple of weeks.

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There's no question that gift giving is my favorite part of Christmas. Earlier this year, I hatched a plan to make my own roadster T-shirts to give to my family. After a little bit of brainstorming, I decided to handle all the drawing, painting and lettering myself.
    IMG_0739.jpg
    I'm very happy with the end result, and my family was very surprised. As you can see, they put them right on for a photo op! For those who are wondering, the bulk of this build has taken place in my one-car garage on Loyola Terrace.
    Loyola Roadster Club black.v2.jpg
    I don't think I've talked about it on this thread, but I thoroughly enjoy watercolor painting. For this logo, I tried to keep things as traditional as possible with paint and markers. I drew inspiration from car club plaques of the '40s and '50s.

I'm planning to do a very limited run of these shirts for sale later this winter. Not for profit, more just for fun—and maybe a few dollars towards my quickchange.

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool on all accounts! Don’t remember seeing the neon, very cool man :)

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great update! Nice shirts.
    Your family in their shirts reminds me of the Christmas Eve when my grandparents gave us all matching pajamas, there were over 20 of us. There are pictures somewhere. :eek:

41 GMC K-18, J.Ukrop, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

29. catdad49

catdad49

Trying to catch up, glad to see that you've been Busy with work, holidays and Family. I don't have a roadster, but I'd like one of those shirts! You puttin' cactus juice in that roadster? Stay Safe, Carp.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    J.Ukrop and 41 GMC K-18 like this.