Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 Olds F33

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ManualOldsOnly, Dec 22, 2021.

1. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

Hey all starting a new thread for my 1933 Oldsmobile f33 Build. Car was last documented on the road 1974 i belive. The car was pulled from a collapsing barn in Connecticut. Heres aome pictures progress to come.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

An Olds in an Olds would be nice;)
    Plans are?

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

Very cool! I have one of those tail lights, just need the rest of the car now

41 GMC K-18 and ManualOldsOnly like this.
  4. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

I am definitely trying to keep it an olds. My back up if the motor wont make it is tro drop in the olds straight 8 but i feel pretty strongly i can save the engine

5. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

In fact so as far as the engine goes i have already got the motor turning incredibly smooth. One stuck, one bent, and one burnt valve later the top end of the motor is done. With new gaskets. Also sand blasted and powder coated the valve cover so they seal up nice and look a bit better. I also want to keep as much of the engine patina as possible cause i think it actually looks pretty nice.

Attached Files:

6. rtp

rtp

Patina = rust or corrsion that needs to be fixed but does not get fixed

klleetrucking and warhorseracing like this.
  7. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

Floors have been officially pulled and dropped off at my fabricator friend's shop so we can start looking at making new pieces. The rest of the floor supports/braces which are wood, of course, look and feel really good so i will just treat them and let them be. While the floors are out i figure this is a really good time to pull the knee shocks and rebuild them. Go over all brake/clutch/etc. Linkages and cables. And also take a moment to look at possibly swapping the trans for something with over drive.

Attached Files:

41 GMC K-18, Dave Mc and dana barlow like this.
  8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks sooo nice now, usually I want to put a later drive train in....in this case...I'd certianly consider leaving the engine stock, car just has a great "look":)

ManualOldsOnly likes this.
  9. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

O yeah no the engine will be pretty darn stock im only planning on a few modifications. Such as an oil filter, valve for the heater (right now its just plumbed up to constantly have heat) probably convert the road draft tube. Might swap the carb out for a 2 bbl instead of single bbl. And i might add vac advnace might not still debating on that.

Other wise the motor got its valve job of course and ill chack the babbit bearings to make sure theyre ok and clean thw oil pan cause im sure it sludgy. I'll probably rebuild the oil pump too while im in there. And then ill rebuild the water pump and the motor should be ready to run

Dave Mc likes this.
  10. carbking

carbking

Another option, assuming the EC-22 carb is present, might be to swap out the carb for a later (even 1 year later) original Olds single barrel for the 6.

The Stromberg EC-22 was not a bad carburetor, but it was the last variation on the EC carbs, and was a one year, one make, one model only; the newer carbs are technologically better, and parts for the later carbs are MUCH more readily available, thus less expensive.

Would work better than a two-barrel if you use a 2->1 adapter. The 2->1 adapters are basically for those with more dollars than sense. :p

If you use the slightly later Olds carb, probably no one would know except you and me (and I promise not to tell ;) )

Jon

11. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

Hmm interesting food for thought. I do have the one year only ec-22 but i also already have a rebuilt Holley 94 i could strap on. I figured the 94 would have a lot more "pep" LOL but again nothing is set in stone. Maybe i throw the 94 on for now to just get it running and play with the ec22 later who knows it would be interesting to see the proformance differences. (Not just HP) but fuel milage throttle response etc. Might be a fun experiment.

12. carbking

carbking

The 94 will run worse through an adapter (might run worse if you had a 2-barrel intake), and use at least 50 percent more gasoline than the Stromberg.

Jon.

13. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

You can get an "overdrive" with a slightly larger rear tire. The motor might not pull a lot more with a standard overdrive.

14. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

It should be fine I've had pretty good luck with these motors with t5s behind them. Not 100% sure im gonna go with that trans yet but i do have 3 of them already at my house LOL. I might check out other closer period options such as the packard OD or something but we shall see.

15. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

Ok haven't posted in a while hope everyone had good holidays.
    I started back on the olds with the coolant system.
    Took apart the housing and found eveything was still there so i decided to test the thermostat in a pot of hot water on the stove and found it worked! So thats good news! I'll just clean all the pieces up and put them back togther. I might powder coat the housing im not sure yet.

Attached Files:

jaracer likes this.
  16. 6sally6

6sally6

Guess I couldn't talk you into re-grinding the cam for a boost in power!? (You may need it IF you try to put an OD behind it). A little more lift and duration could give a dab more "much needed" power if you're planning on driving it on the freeways to shows or get togethers............
    6sally6

17. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

Im not against the idea I dont know a ton about modifying these motors. But im also considering new ways to milk more power out of this slug. Im also considering removing the fan and adding electric just for that little extra oomf. They have tons of torque just no top end

18. 6sally6

6sally6

What's the stroke & bore?
    That will tell a lot about bumping up performance.
    I'm not suggesting a snotty cam with a 2000 RPM idle but........IF you already have an abundance of torque....sacrificing a little of that for a good bit more top end could be a good thing.
    A little clean up porting....better exhaust and intake breathing ...bump the CR a dab....little more lift and duration and you have just "improved" on old tech a bunch!
    Me tinks,
    6sally6

19. brady1929

brady1929

20. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

I'm not sure qhat the bore and stroke is off hand I'd have to look it up. But definitely not a bad idea as far as improvments on the ole girl for now I'm gonna try my best not to pull the motor but also if i have to ill definitely go down that route

21. ManualOldsOnly

ManualOldsOnly

I was able to find a NOS water pump rebuild kit so i just finsihed that up. It was surprisingly not very difficult. New shaft/impeller and new brass. the ball bearing seamed fine so i cleaned it up re greased it and put it back in. And of course put new packing material in it. Sand blasted the body, fan, and pully and then powdercoated it all. I went with silver since someone painted the engine that color seems nice and enough and differnt from the ussual stock green.

Attached Files: