Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a bolt hole in my cowl sides that I don't see in your pictures. I think it's needed to mount the front fenders. I wondered if it is because you have a newer cab. Great thread BTW.

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But you have a painted car for Christmas and I have a lump of coal with primer on it. Merry Christmas!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Show me. I have had the fenders and inners on but I don't of this hole which you speak. If I need to drill it I would like to know sooner than later!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. That light at the end of the tunnel could be a freight train! Be careful!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  5. 58ducknut

58ducknut
    from ohio

image.jpg I think Joel is on to something! I think you need the third hole up but I’d have to get my fender to be sure

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You have a lump of coal, and I have no fingerprints on my right hand! Happy Holly Daze!

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Yeah, but that lump of coal is turning into a diamond! :D

Stogy, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry it took so long. Here are the pix of my cab . Note the paint line and the hole I mentioned.
    IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2166.JPG I thought the lower holes ( which I only have 2; the 3rd maybe gone to rust) may have been for the big truck fenders. I have little knowledge of the big trucks except the frames & fenders were different in '40/'41 .

9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I intend to add a reinforcement and a cage nut to those holes when I get the cab on the other frame and the fenders,hood, running boards on to verify alignment.
    You're doing great. I wouldn't rush the paint.

Stogy, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  10. 58ducknut

58ducknut
    from ohio

My fender on my 41 1/2 ton pickup bolts to the bottom hole in my picture with a cage nut weld in place . The other two must be for the big truck fenders , not sure . I don’t have a hole like Joel does farther up, truck hasn’t been patched there either . Hope this helps . image.jpg

loudbang, Bandit Billy and joel like this.
  11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, now I need to look at my fenders. I don't mean to hijack your thread Billy, but I have a lot of air where you guys have steel:(.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  12. My current '41 project is the same as 58ducknut posted.

13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is my fender pix FWIW.
    IMG_2170_LI.jpg This means 3 attachment points possible; the green circle is the bottom with some rusted cowl . I see no sign these are reworked car fenders. They have 4 holes and the lip is different. The pass fender is the same.
    I definitely need to add the b0ttom hole/nut to my cowl and I wonder ,if not using the center hole , will the welting stay in place?

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ruh roh! I don't have any holes down there at all. My cab is a 46 that I chiseled the late model fender brackets off of and welded up the mess left behind. I little tale for welding cage nuts but I can always add a nut zert

No hijack here, I need this information. Thanks and "keep on truckin"

Tim, Stogy, Budget36 and 1 other person like this.
  15. I don't like nutserts for things like that because they leave a flange on the outside. Surfaces can't sit surface to surface.
    Don't get me wrong, I use them, but like I say, not in situations like that. But that's me.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  16. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about the panel adhesive (like on new cars) to secure cage nuts on the backside of the panel? I like nutserts and I am going to use them inside the cab i.e. trans cover, inner door access panel etc.

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  17. FoParGuy

FoParGuy

41 PS Cowl.jpg 46 ps Cowl.JPG I have couple cabs for my '40 Pikemup Project-(well, actually a pile of parts-but its a big, complete pile!, A.K.A. Scratch'40) '41 has 3 cage nuts along the edge. '46 has none. My front fenders are actual pickup fenders and match Joel's posted fender pic-one down low. Both cabs are from trucks. Outstanding thread. Thank you for documenting your work.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree and have milled out brackets and the like so the flange doesn't get in the way, but this is inside the bottom of the front fenders. And from the look of my fenders they had some sort of weather-strip stapled in there from the factory.

I have used them in spots, like the bottom of the inner fenders since I boxed my rails up front.

So far we have managed to piece together a list of identifiers of 1946 cabs vs 1940 cabs;
    1. They don't have those fender attachment bolt holes and cage nuts.
    2. They have a superfluous bracket spot welded to the cowl on either side to mount later model fenders
    3. They have 4 carriage bolts in the back of the cab that bolt it to the lateral braces
    4. They had a fuel tank under the seat and a filler opening in the right cab corner

19. FoParGuy

FoParGuy

I think the staples held the welting in place. My '46 cab has the rivets you mention. Door dovetails are larger on the '46 and of course the side glass has steel surrounds. '46 has a little more steel under the floor...my '41 cracked out near the rear cab mounting plate. '46 has a full width plate between mounting holes. I have read that the latches are offset differently so be careful mixing and matching, but of the 6 doors I have, I can't see any differences, other than the lower contours of the inner panels and the already mentioned dovetail receiver.

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good information! I didn't have a cab bottom to compare to mine for differences and I have no prior experience with these trucks so I wouldn't have known the difference.

Stogy, joel and loudbang like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The following is a public service announcement;

Men, do you have a 41 Ford pickup? Is your hood release handle broken? Have you found that it is not reproduced? Does it cause embarrassment and low self esteem? Don't despair, Fred is here.
    upload_2022-1-10_12-0-19.png
    Fred's Vintage Auto Parts offers a bronze hood release! You heard that right! No more pot metal handles to break off. No "west of LA" reproductions. This beautifully crafted and chrome plated bronze handle can be yours at the one time, low, low price of $395. Shipped to your door in a plain USPS box for at home shopping convenience and anonymity!
    upload_2022-1-10_11-56-41.png
    I, like many suffered from the continual embarrassment of having a stubby. It served it's function but there was always handle anxiety when pulling into a cruise in or posting selfies during a wash. No more embarrassment. Throw those arms back with pride and show the world your shiny, new, full-length handle, women will want you and men will want to be you!

$395 a bit too high for you? You know the old adage "A nice little stubby beats no handle at all". Perhaps your handle is showing signs of age, spotty, weak, bent, perhaps even a bit of pot rot. Don't be embarrassed for less than the cost of dipping and polishing your old one you can buy a beautiful, fully chrome plated semi. What truck wouldn't be proud to sport a shiny new handle leading the way this summer! $150 bucks and I'll even throw in the ride. You can't chrome one cheaper and who has 6 months to wait to get it back from the chrome jail?

41 Ford truck men needn't suffer the embarrassment of handle envy any longer. Your self confidence will grow with every grab and release. Contact Fred and be all you can be!

The proceeding was an unpaid service announcement. I do not have ownership or a stake in the company. I was not paid for my product endorsement. Any similarity to other advertisements is pure coincidental, no animals were harmed in this production.

22. Now do Crown Royal. :rolleyes::D

loudbang, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  23. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

That's probably why we got the previous sales talk,,,,,,,

milwscruffy, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Well it sure reads like you HAVE HAD A LOT OF EXPERIENCE with those "products" :rolleyes:

25. I'll drink to that !

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bourban.jpg

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What would a buffalo do?...:D

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know, and after reading this on Urban Dictionary I don't want to find out.
    upload_2022-1-12_19-6-32.png

Desoto291Hemi, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me thinks it looks like his tongue is out so he wants some...:p
    BufffaloBorbon.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    treb11, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't had much progress to report since a primed truck cab at 180 grit looks an awful lot like one at 220 and it doesn't change much at 320. Watching paint dry is more interesting than matching someone sand it. o_O

One thing that is changing is how thin the polyester primer is getting in spots so after consultation with my brain trust (bar tender and the chick that lives across the street) I decided to add some primer in those spots and repeat the 320 block. You can see the black epoxy primer peaking through the polyester primer in this rear fender
    upload_2022-2-2_17-49-14.png
    ...and again here in the right front fender. These were by far the worse two fenders of the lot and took some work to straiten. A bit more attention won't hurt but they are looking pretty damn smooth and straight!
    upload_2022-2-2_17-51-17.png
    I also have a spot or two where I have reached bare steel. So that has to be primered with DTM.
    upload_2022-2-2_17-53-53.png
    So I cranked up the heaters to full blast in an effort to get to 65/70 degrees (F for those of you in 3rd world counties :cool:) in the shop and I am only at 60 (degrees and age). Either it needs to get warmer or I need lower temp reducer. I really need this primer to go on smooth so I am not in a big hurry. Supposed to be warmer this weekend.

In the mean time I drilled the 6 holes I was missing (see posts above) in the lower cowl sides and zerted them. The damn zerts I had are steel and I had a horrible time putting them in...to be completely truthful I had a horrible time watching my friend and fellow HAMBer @Kim Strobeck put them in. Hey it was his tool and I didn't want to break it...hee, hee, thanks Kim. :cool: He was paid (poured handsomely) for his services.
    upload_2022-2-2_17-56-53.png
    I know these zerts don't allow for a complete flush fit but I figure I will cut the fender welting around them and I will be just fine. I do need to make sure I paint the zert parts inside the cab so they don't rust.
    upload_2022-2-2_18-2-14.png
    Thanks to my fellow HAMBers and truck builders for noticing the lack of holes AND supplying me with a template for installation!! What would I do without you guys (other than have floppy fenders)? It takes a community...o_O:rolleyes:

If you have a '46 cab and putting '40/41 fenders on it, don't forget this step! You really do not want to drill and add these on a painted cowl. I have a template! :rolleyes: Looks like more thinning primer in that pic. Oh well, back to the grind. :cool: