Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Soldering electrical connections 101

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Reformed solderer here, mainly due to my brother providing me with all my auto electrical supplies, and it's always hot here!

@Harv 42 (107F) forecast here for Christmas!

2. loudbang

loudbang

I don't know about now but when in was in the USMC MILITARY soldered connections sure were used in F-4 b Jet planes. Spent may a day all crunched up in the back seat of them soldering pins of cannon plug connections for the radios and Encryption boxes. :rolleyes: I would hazard a guess that they still use solder on those pins.

3. I found a good one at Advance Auto Parts for around $32, it is adjustable and handles common crimp terminals. I have a few simpler ones that do the Packard style terminals. Lowes has a nice stripper for under $30 I use all the time.

nochop and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent my first few "productive" years installing telephone central offices, in the mid 1970's and must have worn out a dozen of those darned wire wrap guns. My right forearm was 25% larger than my left. I could squeeze the sap out of a tree limb with that hand, and hurt one of my cousin's hands giving him a firm handshake.

The company finally bought electric wrap tools and the exercise program ended.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

some presses we use--old overhead line presses and a new stacon tool my friend just bought. Another handy item is self vulcanizing tape--To bring a wire out of a loom midway or seal ends of loom. Non-conductive as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    loudbang and bobss396 like this.
  6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

All one needs to do is to Google, "should I crimp or solder electric terminals" and the answers are very clear that crimping is the way to go.

7. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

Truckdoctor Andy, loudbang and blowby like this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Just for discussion , I have had my boat for 48 years , the wiring with connections I soldered taped with friction tape covered with vinyl tape are still fine. I'd opine the vibration & moisture is worse in a marine environment .

Boneyard51, loudbang and 57 Fargo like this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

loudbang likes this.
  10. If the terminals are tin-plated, they should hold up well. Just about anything I have used has been tin dipped.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  11. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

I use it whenever I can even with the 14ga. 14 ga. is the smallest die.

loudbang likes this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Is there a chart or something that tells you the physical size of different guage electric wires. What I mean is, there are a kazillion charts that tell you what "size" (guage) wire you need for a project...........but I have a lot of wire I have picked up over the years that is on spools or in a roll, and it has no identification as to what guage it actually is. Especially when you get down to the smaller wires, its hard to tell what you have. I thought about making a little board with the different size wires mounted to use for a quick reference. Anybody know of a way to tell what guage a wire is if there are no markings on it ?o_O

loudbang likes this.
  13. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

If the wires weren't rated by a system invented by a drunk penguin you could just measure the diameter of one individual strand, calculate the area, multiply the area by the total number of strands, and know the total area as other countries rate their wires. I suppose you could still use that method, along with a AWG vs. area conversion chart.

Knowing the resistance of copper and the length of a wire i suppose you could measure the low resistance through a piece of wire and calculate the approximate area. Would require 4 wire measuring.

Fogger, ekimneirbo and loudbang like this.
  14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Yes, you need to locate what is called an American Wire Gauge Chart. It lists all the measurements you want.

15. There are multiple charts giving conductor diameter for a given size but they all have caveats of one sort or another. The diameters given for AWG sizes are all for single-strand solid wire, with a note that 'stranded will be slightly larger'. There is also a 'British Wire Gauge' (BWG) and metric sizes, neither of which will quite align with AWG. Note that none of the charts include the insulation as that can vary widely. Any UL-rated wire is required to have the size marked on the insulation (and I'm sure that's true for the 'other' standards as well), although in the smaller sizes you'll need a magnifying glass to read it.

I simply use my strippers to determine wire size if there's a question. Generally, the smallest hole that will cleanly strip the wire without cutting any strands will be the AWG size. Make sure your strippers are in good condition.

16. The jacket size and strand count will differ on military wire, as well as domestic. So you can get a general idea of what gauge it is by the outer jacket on most commercial products. I tell by just looking at it most of the time.

Boneyard51, ekimneirbo and loudbang like this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

18. Luckily, those are now available with crimp and insert type contacts.

That's not really a reliable way of determining wire gauge given the variety of commonly available insulations on wire - GPT, GXL, SXL, TXL, etc. One needs to strip the insulation and look at the conductor.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  19. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Yes, fact I worked commercial aviation for 35 years,no soldered joints allowed

Cosmo49 likes this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Attached Files:

blowby likes this.
  22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hey that's neat. Great, another horse in the race..

23. Well, as someone who has used both types professionally, I'll go hydraulic every time. The mechanical ones work fine but can be gut-busters on the larger sizes and the one pictured has rather short handles which will make it worse.

Do a 'net search before buying. The hydraulic one pictured is all over the 'net, with common prices $20 less (including shipping) than HF. There's also heavier 16T units that if you're primarily interested in battery cables will be a better choice for a few bucks more. Pay attention to the die shape; some have round dies, the hex-shaped dies are better.

Considering that the name-brand pro hydraulic units cost 20X what these do, these are steals...

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ this--I have the old overhead line press type. Used them for years-still do but as said it can be tough to press larger conductors. Work well-just got to put the handles together!!

loudbang likes this.
  25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks. For a hobbyist doing maybe a half dozen crimps a year I could handle the extra effort of the mechanical ones, but can you get 10 tons out of one? Would be nice not to have to think about hydraulic fluid problems, especially with the 50 buck ones.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the overhead line presses are for overhead conductors wiih heavy load and tension as well-used them for many years-if used properly-no failure-just gotta put the handles together!! I have a high dollar Burndy overhead hydraulic press as well with various dies-have not used it in many years.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Which ones are the overhead presses? The bolt cutter type?

28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yep-see them in post#96

blowby likes this.
  29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have no faith it those crimper that have the dies! Several times I have had battery cable made at truck shops and they had those die type crimper. Big ones! I watched the man select the right die for the cable and the right terminal. I watched him do the crimp…all the way! When he handed me the cable, I pulled on it and it came out of the terminal! He was pissed ! Told me I ruined the battery cable! This has happened to me more than once!
    So , I quit those type crimpers. Period!
    I use the crimper pictured below! All crimpers I use have the deforming indent on them! Big and small! And no hydraulic, for me! I don’t do that many and don’t want to deal with foreign junk leaking fluid on my shit!
    47B1B661-19E0-4433-B3FE-4A657C00C7F0.jpeg FD02EBA0-6830-481E-B4D0-3820D83C3604.jpeg 8D1605DA-7652-4405-824A-A87517A2001A.jpeg
    But that is just me. Too old to change my ways!

Bones

olscrounger likes this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

In the 60's , Balkamp furnished the kind you hit with a bfh when you bought X amount of cable & terminals from them . made many replacement cables with one , made my own for home