Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cars From Milwaukee Wisconsin, SE WI, and Northern Illinois....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Centurion9, Dec 4, 2015.

1. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Nice ‘65! I should know the car if it is from the Milwaukee area but it does not ring a bell. I was at that event with one of my Messerschmitt’s.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I just noticed the MG with the tan too in the background of the Comet photo, it looks like Johnie Reimer’s MG. If it is his car it is by far the best built (modified) MG I have ever seen. John built it as a tribute to the MG he raced in the ‘50’s. Tube frame, trick suspension, widened steel fenders, small block chevy, four speed, and scary fast. Johnnie past away a couple of years ago and the last I heard the MG was on the West Coast.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I just came across this photo of Tim Young’s cammer powered T. Not sure where the picture was taken, note the flamed Econoline van, it screams ‘70’s. (So does the halter top on his
    co pilot)
    Jim
    CE689A8F-FEBB-43FC-9E7C-727A6EB95A38.jpeg

wicarnut, echo ed, slayer and 5 others like this.
  4. Don__two

Don__two

Wow! Thanks for posting that pic of Tim Young and his T. Think that style Econoline van came out in '75, so it and the yellow Wisconsin plates help date the picture a bit. I saw the car twice, but it was parked both times. Wish I could have heard it!

I can't remember if someone told me or I read it someplace, but does anyone know if it is true that Tim had worked at R&B Automotive? I assume this would have been before he had the Brake Shop.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Kavalta and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

img793.jpg Still looking for the history of my roadster. It was a drag car and I found it in Sun Praire Wi. It had the torque tube striped black and white. Thanks Gary

Deuces, rusty1, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  6. titus

titus

These two were recently pulled out of very long term storage in Jefferson Wi, no history known other than the Model A was bought it 1963 i think, driven a little then put into storage when the motor blew up. no history at all on the 32, but looking at it i think it had an FE ford motor in it but hard to tell. Im not sure if the model A had a flathead or a sbc, was told sbc but had evidence of a flatty, i had a nailhead laying around so it went in it.

IMG_1787.jpg IMG_1796.jpg IMG_1804.jpg IMG_2095.jpg

Deuces, Stogy, milwscruffy and 4 others like this.
  7. the 32 five window looks a whole lot like Jack Benders (Jacks Auto Ranch salvage yard just east of Jefferson, Wi.), see the front shock position and mounting. The old picture came from the Jefferson newspaper, early to mid 50's. Did you sell the deuce 5 wdw? Curt R
    jack bender 3.jpg jack bender1a.jpg jack bender1.jpg

8. up top, hoping Titus sees this
    Curt R

Stogy likes this.
  9. Let's see if we can get his attention:
    @titus

Stogy likes this.
  10. titus

titus

Curt, i did end up selling the to someone you know!! Conner from Colorado that bought the olds b-ville motor from your friend. I didnt really want to sell it but a very special car to me came along and i had to sell a few toys to make it happen.

The shock mounts sure do look close, ill have to have Conner look to see if there was any lavender paint on it, do you know when the photo was from in the newspaper? the said 8" chop is definitely incorrect. when i got the car it had been set up for maybe a Fe or a y-block but unfinished, you can also tell it had been being updated.

JEFF

Stogy likes this.
  11. titus

titus

The 32 didnt really have any info attatched to it but the model A came with a bill of sale with the name Denton Fry on it, after some tracking i found the son of Fred Fry and a phone number so i called, Freds wife answered and i proceeded to tell her the story as Fred wasnt home, she said they had a pic of an old hot rod, and she would have him call me, so i waited for the call back from Fred, it turns out it was his Hot Rod, he had bought it from a high school buddy painted but not totally finished and that he and his father got it on the road, i think he said he went into the service and his father sold it, hence the bill of sale in his fathers name.

JEFF
    IMG_2053.jpg

12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Such a great looking car, I'd sure like to see this "lurid shade of lavender"!

Stogy likes this.
  13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Here’s a picture that HAMBer QUICK85 took in 1975 at the Chicago Auto Show that shows my ’32 Coupe behind the Corvette. And a pic from 6 years ago when I first bought the car. I don’t know much history on the car, but prior to my ownership it was in the Quad-Cities area. Do any of you Illinois guys recognize it?

Old show.jpg Coupe 1.JPG

Deuces, lothiandon1940, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  14. hey it's a good day, you answered two questions I've had.

Ever since Stan sold the b-ville Olds motor, I wondered where it went, I helped load it into Connor's pickup and off he went. Stan didn't get too much info about Connor so I had no clue what happened with the motor, thanks for that info to answer question #1.

The 32, when I came across your HAMB post on the A and 32, the 32 looked familiar, it took me a while to find the Jack Bender info in my archives then post it on the HAMB. Now I know where the 32 went, answer to question #2.

Jack Bender was 18 years old in 1953, there is a possibility, he was drafted to the service at 18 1/2 for the Korean conflict. The news article could be anywhere from 1953 to ? Jack passed in 2019, a few years before that I stopped to see him and gave him a copy of the news article. I can remember he said the article was from the Jefferson newspaper but can't remember which year he said if he said.

Curt R

15. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Anything “new” to post in this thread? It’s been very quiet for a few months..........
    Jim

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  16. John Stimac

John Stimac

Just found this photo taken at the Milwaukee Auditorium Sports Show in maybe 1954-55 Thats Me looking up at the camera, and Bob Locksmith holding class in the booth midwest speed and power 003.jpg

Deuces, gnichols, A Boner and 8 others like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty darn cool that is...nice pair of Hammered Hotods there too...what was in that 40, a V12, or V16...maybe it's a flathead but I think I'm looking at something different...that looks like a valve cover but maybe it's a wiring cover...

The mid fifties was a great period in Hotrod without a doubt...looks like you were liven the dream...which was your favorite John?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^Looks like a radiator hose.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All that drama and it's a rad hose...:oops:...2 of them guaranteed...nothing wrong with a Flatty though, thanks @i.rant

I'd like to see more pics of both of those...

i.rant likes this.
  20. wicarnut

wicarnut

Car looks like a car I saw in a trailer at Solid Gold McDonald's around 2002-7, ? I can't remember exact time frame. Used to hang out there with my 29 highboy roadster, Pogo group and the Losers group, had flip flop paint made it unique. IMO. (pics in my albums) then my 32 3 window, retired, moved away. A man we called "Snooks" heavy set w/pony tail, cannot remember his name, lived in Caledonia off hwy 32. At this time he had a peach color T w/turtle deck sbc, nice car and a real nice red 32 roadster built by Tom Pogo (Outhouse Engineering) He always talked about a T Roadster he had years ago and went on a mission to find, found it and brought it home, Thinking I remember him saying he built it when he was a kid ? Ok we are looking at it in the trailer and he states, Wow I don't remember what a crude POS it was. Then I believe he sold it, One thing I remember him talking about, shifter was between his legs. ? He passed from cancer (suicide) before 2010 ? Hope any of this info helps, Jiggs who hangs with Losers might be able to help, the original group of Loser guys has dwindled quite a bit, that age/health problem. Have seen your purple T many times, nice car, like the steering wheel deal, I can't remember if we have ever met/spoke, that age thing. LOL

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  21. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

thumbnail (41).jpg thumbnail (42).jpg thumbnail (36).jpg thumbnail (37).jpg thumbnail (38).jpg thumbnail (39).jpg thumbnail (40).jpg thumbnail (41).jpg thumbnail (42).jpg thumbnail (36).jpg thumbnail (37).jpg thumbnail (38).jpg thumbnail (39).jpg thumbnail (40).jpg Thanks, I have had my Roadster since 4/15 94 so it is most likely a different car. Thanks for the info I hope to see you this summer some time! Gary thumbnail (36).jpg thumbnail (37).jpg thumbnail (38).jpg View attachment 53 thumbnail (37).jpg thumbnail (38).jpg thumbnail (39).jpg thumbnail (40).jpg 59095[/ATTACH] thumbnail (40).jpg

22. John Stimac

John Stimac

I liked the 34 coupe, that's why mine came about beater (2).jpeg

23. Kavalta

Kavalta

I knew Tim Young back say 1974 to 1977, I worked at his brothers shop Pauls Union 76 (Now Pauls bender center) and Tim would work there some and he also worked at Snap On Tools, we became friends. He back then drove a Fiat spider pretty much all year which in Wisconsin is a challenge. At that time Pauls Union 76 was right in front of R&B automotive and I knew Dennis Rollain well and visited him many times through the years but after leaving the shop didn't keep with Tim. Tim I don't think ever worked at R&B but did have them do a few things on the T bucket. I remember he had Dennis install Emergency brakes and dual headlights so he could drive it on the street in Wisconsin. He used to get pulled over quite a bit for the slicks and other things but usually worked it out and drilled some small holes in the tires to pacify them somewhat. Most of the time I worked there Tim's car was apart and the body was in a body shop waiting for a paint job (many years) at that time it was still green like in the photos, the rest of the car was at his house between his garage and some parts were in the house. He had the article from Car Craft magazine and a lot of pictures from Bill Frederick when he bought it. I remember seeing the parachute bag and Tim said that all he used it for was clothes and toothbrush he said when he went on trips. Tim Passed some years back and I'm not sure what happened to the car. The design and engineering on the car was great in my opinion, the motor was beautiful, the radiators under the seat with fans, the fuel tank custom built to fit between the frames and the suspension was a work of art. We did fire up the engine in his garage a few times but I never did get to ride in it but that would have been nice. Tim started the brake shop some years after that.
    I found these pics on a google search and the black and white and color ones when it was green where when Tim owned it. I don't know if it was still red when he got it and he had it painted green or if that was done when he got it. The body was the green color scheme when I seen it in the body shop (hanging on the wall).

Nice to look back into them days, Tim was a real easy going guy and always seemed happy. BillFredricksCammer2-vi.jpg BillFredricksCammer4-vi.jpg BillFredricksCammer9-vi.jpg BILLFREDRICKSSOHCT4-vi.jpg BILLFREDRICKSSOHCT5-vi.jpg BILLFREDRICKSSOHCT6-vi.jpg BILLFREDRICKSSOHCT7-vi.jpg illFredericks427cammerTbucket1-vi (1).jpg illFredericks427cammerTbucket1-vi.jpg illFredericks427cammerTbucket2-vi (1).jpg illFredericks427cammerTbucket2-vi.jpg redrickRoadsterStreetDragster2-vi.jpg

Deuces, OLE442, slayer and 5 others like this.
  24. John Stimac

John Stimac

Max Gearhead, Phillips and pprather like this.
  25. Austinrushing

Austinrushing

Any chance anyone has info on my grandpas old car?
    Dillon Rushing round lake Illinois
    1932 Plymouth 5 window 396 Chevy with a th350 and a clutch.
    Sold around 1995 or 1996. When it was sold Red and black paint job. Rear fender flares were cut and flared. Stringer front end I believe. Raced all around Wisconsin,Illinois and Indiana 1980s and early 1990s

Attached Files:

Deuces, Phillips, rc57 and 2 others like this.
  26. 1biggun

1biggun

Any one know anything about a Dragster out of Stoughton WI driven by a gy I think named Loyd .
    Was said to be the first SBC dragster to do 200 MPH . and was tested and built by the fair grounds there . were they were handing out awards to the show

It was mentioned at a car show I was at in Stoughton this summer .
    I met a guy who was named Loyd at a bar year ago who was making these same claims.

I lot of people seemed to know about it at the show .

tractorguy likes this.
  27. OLE442

OLE442

This is the first "real" documentation that any Fredericks rail was ever sold and driven on the street. Thanks for all the photos of it! I wonder if Bill ever sold and cause the price was astronomical for back in the late 1960 and early 1970, at least to me. Any rate, I wonder if this is the original car and maybe was sold after he got no orders for one. Thanks for all the info. Love to find all the parts for one. Although I'd have to put something other than the SOHC engine in it....LOL!
    I have an original car magazine ad in the previous post and I'll add it here with a another.
    Fredricks Rail Ad.jpg

Fredericks Rail.jpg

Deuces and Max Gearhead like this.
  28. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Never saw this info on Fredericks before, and I had no idea he tried to make a series of the dragsters. I also wonder if anyone ordered one? Pretty hard to volume produce something so intricate. The guy was clearly a craftsman.

29. Deuces

Deuces