Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Paint fumes and cocktails.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

It looks like you did a great job......I always tell everyone that when I quit drinking, I had to learn to paint, all over again, lol. But the truth wasn't far from that. In the later of the drinkin days, I always carried a tall bourbon cocktail into the booth with me. Before that it was Schlitz.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or 8
    Or 64
    Or whatever it is now.
    But seriously. Looking great.

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Looks great, cheers.

Bill's Auto Works and loudbang like this.
  4. spanners

spanners

Back in the late '70s I worked in a couple of different repair shops in Sydney, Australia. The spray painters were usually pot smokers but the bosses didn't care because they did their best work while stoned. They learnt to close the spray booths and puff away so no one could smell it. Most of the work us panelbeaters did after lunch was done under the influence of a couple of beers sunk at the pub at lunchtime. Amazing how a repair can seem really good in the afternoon but the next morning when sober it was as rough as guts .

5. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

FlyBri , end result is awesome. As we all know tons of prep, prep , prep prior prior to color.
    Curious, what was the color of primer / sealer before paint.
    Stretch

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Good question. I don’t have a fresh air system, I just use a respirator that’s approved for use with these vapors. They’re cheap, I use a new one every time. If I painted all day, every day, I’d have to, you’re right the stuff is nasty. I live in the country, no neighbors to complain about paint fumes or odors. That would be an issue in a neighborhood with an HOA I’m sure.
    I’m probably much too careless about exposure. My primary concern is keeping dust out of the paint and just getting the vapors out of the shop. Again, I’d be more aggressive about that if I were doing this everyday, but once my T’bird custom gets finished I’m hanging up my Harbor Freight gun for good.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Lol, if I got stoned I’d just sit in a chair in the shop and stare at the fire in the stove! That was a post paint celebratory drink! No more than two a night, just to give my liver something to do.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That’s funny right there, I don’t care who you are! Thanks, it really feels good having color on this thing, it’s been my sanity savior project!

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It was dark grey. The paint covered very well, I used less than two quarts of color.

loudbang likes this.
  10. cshades

cshades
    from wi

my brother and i have a rule that we have to have a beer after spraying no matter what.

tiredford and loudbang like this.
  11. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Absolutely beautiful. And the dash is awesome. Can’t wait til mine has color. You’ve been an inspiration.
    Thanks for sharing

flynbrian48 and loudbang like this.
  12. @flynbrian48 I thought you were a Scotch man.:( Next best thing to some peach brandy or corn.:D Beautiful paint, nice and shiny.

flynbrian48 and loudbang like this.
  13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I may have some Scotch heritage, but I prefer Kentucky Bourbon. I mean, I’ll drink it if there’s no whiskey…

14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a magnificent color!
    My old "DITZLER" paint consultant, from the French Quarter in New Orleans, highly approves of your choice of colors !

NOLA COCKTAIL.JPG

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    flynbrian48 likes this.
  15. I worked at a car dealer in the 70's and had a similar experience happen. Our body/paint shop was a block down the street from the regular shop at the dealership and one day right after lunch the service manager called me to go down to the body shop and see why they weren't picking up the phone. I walked to the body shop and it was empty, as in no one there! All the employees cars were there and the gates were wide open but it was totally abandoned of bodies. I called the service manager and he came running down spouting profanities, looked around and called the police. The local police said "oh we know where they are" they are in jail. Turns out they were enjoying a "smoke" in the paint booth with the exhaust fans on and the smell exhausted out to the street where our local sheriff took action when he smelled it, you can guess the rest.

41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  16. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I gotta jump on the bandwagon here and compliment that color. It is beeyouteefull. Lol. Seriously, the whole project is really looking great. Can’t wait to see it come together, and I’m sure you feel the same.

41 GMC K-18 and flynbrian48 like this.
  17. I always drank a couple bottles of beer before I painted !

18. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking project Brian. I dig the color too. Looks like the same color I painted my roadster....Cotswold Blue a classic Jaguar color?

IMG_7284.JPG

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_5538.JPG IMG_5524.JPG IMG_5526.JPG IMG_5528.JPG IMG_5532.JPG

It’s back on the chassis!

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What? You're not driving yet? :rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  21. spanners

spanners

Funny you should say that. I also worked in a dealership with a stand alone panel shop. One day as I walked past the spray booth/ smoke zone, I picked up the unmissable odour of weed. It was only a problem because the local RTA (D.O.T. I think it's called in the U.S.) backed onto the carpark for the dealership. I had to pound on the locked spray booth door and get them to turn the exhaust fans off.

nosford and flynbrian48 like this.
  22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Tomorrow...

23. I have to drink to get through the bodywork part…spraying the paint I like.