Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Caldwell Corvette

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 15, 2021.

1. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I've never driven an early Corvette. The C1 or C2 were never in my bucket list. We've just bought an early C5 and I have got to say, it is the most comfortable ride I've ever had. Crazy you may say, but, the C5 was a new platform and it was designed right all the way around. Once you're in the seat, adjust it to your liking and you feel like you're in a recliner. My wife and I took a long ride last weekend and not once were we feeling like we wanted to stop and get out. The C5 rides like it's on a rail and tracks so effortlessly you almost forget you're the one with your hand on the wheel. They say a man should own at least one Corvette in their life time. I'm very glad I finally got mine. By the way, my wife had her Camaro first! It's only fair I got to park the Corvette next to her SS.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Don’t fit a C1?
    Creative seat foam carving and cut the steering column.

Stogy likes this.
  3. cabong

cabong

Hey Anthony !! You took the words right out of my mouth. I had this '62 fuely for 10 years as my daily driver, and loved every comfy minute of it. When I did the seats, I cut 2" of the bottom and back buns. Made all the difference in the world, and I am 6ft.....

Just for the record.... I just had a long conversation with the current owner of the Moreira Corvette. Who knows... Maybe we will see it once again. 62 corvette.jpg

Deuces, Sancho, lurker mick and 4 others like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm not a purist at all, but some cars, other than for performance enhancement, just look wrong when customized with different headlights, taillights, grills etc.. Suspension, tires, stance etc. to make the car handle better and more comfortable, yes, go for it, maybe subtle "tweaks", but re-styling the car.....no thanks! Would anyone here "customize" a GT40? Now, just as soon as I posted that someone will find and post a photo of a GT40 with fins and canted headlights and cause me to throw up.

Now a tastefully done '50 Mercury.....yeah that's a thing of beauty, but it left a lot to be desired in it's original as-built form. Generally, I'd sum up my thoughts as function over form, but granted, there are rarely ever any hard and fast rules.

Lynn

6. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

If I ever bust up the front of my C1, I would redo it like this...but not as a "gasser".

[​IMG]

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and Ryan like this.
  7. cabong

cabong

Hi Lynn !! Down inside I agree with you, but then I think about some of the things I've done. It's all in what you're individual tastes are, and sometimes wanting to keep up with the Jones. Whatever it is, it's a personal choice, and like it or not, it is what it is. Now I'm going to make you gag !! bruces rear.jpg

8. cabong

cabong

By the way, I had a friend who radically customized a Mangusta. Think about that....

Just Gary likes this.
  9. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Had a 4 speed 1960 C-1 Red with a White cove as a daily driver fresh out of high school. Found a hard top for it at a local junk yard for $125.00 that top helped during the winter months only Chevy I ever owned sold it for $1200.00. Replaced it with a Ford Deuce roadster that cost $800.00 still have that Deuce roadster and lots more Fords and Mopars as well.
    Ronnieroadster

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

cabong....your T-Bird is kinda pushing it for my personal taste but certainly no gag reflex.:D

Jalopy Joker....I certainly like the "functional" mods of the race-prepped 'Vettes you posted, making them even better at the purpose for which they're intended....to be sporty cars! I'd be pleased to have either one, or better yet both, in my garage.

'Nuf about my personal tastes.....I'll go away now.:rolleyes:

Lynn

12. cabong

cabong

No, wait Lynn, there's more !! The lime gold '56 is smooth, and different for Gene Winfield.
    The yellow one makes my sticker peck out!!! That's about as aggressive as an early Corvette can look. I had seen the bugger in the magazine when it came out in mid '61, then in '62 or '63 I saw it on a used car lot in San Carlos, Calif. Damn, I was 19 and didn't have the proverbial pot..... Then it disappeared, never to be seen again.... custom vette 1.jpg yellow vette (2).jpg

Deuces likes this.
  13. Damn.

Wish you knew where the '56 Mike Sparrow Corvette was. Always loved that car.

Don't think it exists. Have asked Gene, and have never gotten an answer.

More so, have never seen any other photos past its two publications.

Deuces and Sancho like this.
  14. stingbean

stingbean

I was surfing EstateSales.net when I came across this neat '54 being auctioned in Arizona. From the looks of the snapshots and documentation, the owner was a member of the SCCA and the car was modified back in the day. I'm not a corvette guy, but at first glance I noticed the grille change, the custom airbox on the carbs, and a tag for the Crower cam. Probably other mods as well.

https://www.fidelityestateservices.com/sale/3129402

1 (1).jpg 1 (2).jpg 1 (3).jpg 1 (4).jpg 1 (5).jpg 1 (6).jpg 1 (7).jpg 1 (8).jpg 1 (9).jpg 1.jpg 2 (1).jpg 2.jpg 1 (10).jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    unforgiven, rod1, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  15. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I'm not really into Corvettes, but I truly appreciate 'Vettes with trunks. They look bad-ass from the factory and are easy to make cooler looking. That black & gold custom is pretty sweet! Like any other car, when modified, it depends on the taste of the builder as to how it comes out. I've worked on and driven a few @ the shop and have to say they're fun to drive. But the closest I'll ever get to owning one is the engine ('63 327) in my coupe.

kidcampbell71 likes this.