Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Soldering electrical connections 101

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Dec 19, 2021.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ agree with Bones--I use an old Thomas and Betts tool that I used in my trade for maybe 40+ years. They are available today--Just told a friend where to buy one-he loves it!! On battery cables I use an old Nicopress overhead line tool--never a failure. Neighbor had a high dollar woodie with an intermittent problem. A shop had made the battery cables for him with an indent type tool. I went to help him and was able to pull both wires out of the connectors with a hard jerk. Redid with overhead line tool-no way you can pull that apart!! Have wired a lot of fast drag cars too and no wiring failures as of yet.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You nailed it , Squirrel! I also have about five soldering “ guns”! From a small pencil type to my acetylene torch and in between! The one I use the most is my Wellers 220 amp hand held gun type soldering iron! Weller makes two common sizes and the larger on is harder to find. But it heats wires/ solder quickly so the solder job is done in a hurry and the heat doesn’t have a chance to travel down the wire!
    Just like choosing the right size wrench!

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Current barrel crimper part numbers (as of a year or so ago) are Klein 1006, Ideal 35-5431, and T&B WT111M. The Klein and Ideal are about $30 retail, shopping may turn up a better price. The T&B is the Cadillac, about $45.

My T&B is the very first version, WT111 (no suffix). The difference is mine has three indents, does 22 to 10 gauge, the newer one does 16-10 with two indents but has a cutter which the older version lacks. The older ones turn up on eBay and at garage sales, flea marts, etc, well worth looking for. There's several for sale on eBay right now for reasonable money.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    VANDENPLAS, squirrel and olscrounger like this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

C83307D5-DF1A-408D-8F69-6BA00037511D.jpeg 4E5E9607-24F2-42BF-8A9E-F24021E19237.jpeg
    Here’s a picture of my battery cable crimper. Been using it for years! But after the crimp, I still solder the terminal!

Bones View attachment 5262634 4E5E9607-24F2-42BF-8A9E-F24021E19237.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The difference between slow and fast? Making sure the nuts are always tight that hold the tip in place is a must. Something to do with repeated hot and cold cycles. :)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My T&B is my go to crimper for small wire too--have used it for maybe 40 yrs as said. Orange and black covered handles. I have a newer one too that has two indents but says range is 22 to 10 on it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yep! In my soldering tool bag , and yes I have a soldering tool bag, I have several new sets of tips! I can tell right away, if something is wrong with my gun! It won’t work right if something is out of order!
    This could be the OPs problem!

Bones

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thank bones, I’ll pick on up at our electric supply house and put it in my stocking. Merry Christmas.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Great! It will have a black and orange handle! You will love it!

Bones

nochop likes this.
  10. I design wiring harnesses for off-road industrial equipment at my current job. The only time a harness sees solder is when its not possible to use a mechanical crimp or an ultrasonic weld.

YMMV, but as noted by others the OEMs, NASA, and the military disallow soldered terminals and joints.

Buy yourself a quality ratcheting crimp tool with a variety of dies.

11. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Current model T&B WT-111M crimper. Had to teach mine to speak with an Aussie accent (and crimp upside down) but other than that a very well made piece of kit.
    Thomas and Betts WT-111M.jpg

12. There're two things I don't like about this version. One, the way they 'cheated' the 18-14 crimp in between the other two doesn't give the same support to the 'away' side of the crimp and it tends to distort the crimp more than I like. The other is the 'anvil' side (opposite the indenter) is narrower and gives a bit less support and that also seems to allow a bit more distortion. This is a cosmetic issue more than anything, functionally either one will work. I just feel the older version turns out a prettier crimp... :)

VANDENPLAS and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks! That is the crimper I use…a little older and more beat up…..but still functioning!

Bones

14. papajohn

papajohn

After reading all these suggestions here it's pretty clear there is only one way to go. Crimp, then solder the crimped connection.
    Should be foolproof. Lol.

loudbang and rusty valley like this.
  15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Personally I like both methods and use whatever seems to suit the situation best......in my opinion. That said, and this being a nostalgia site, the Packard 56 connectors are probably still common. On the other hand, since we are talking about reliability of connections......most harnesses no longer use the old Packard 56 because of lack of protection from the elements. Failures are not caused only by vibration, and we have all sanded connectors at one time or another when they looked less than sparkling (pun intended). These days I use the more modern connectors that have better protection from the elements and they also have some reasonably priced crimp tools that ratchet and make very good connections. That said, if I have to splice two wires together or add a wire to an existing wire so I have two leads, I normally solder the joint. Personally, I really like the newer ratcheting crimpers much better than the old manual plier type crimpers. They make very consistant connections.:D

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  16. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

And heat shrink.

papajohn likes this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The heat shrinks are very important addition to the terminals! Some folks say is hides bad connections, never has been my findings! But everyone here has run into an old terminal that the wire is breaking right at the end of the terminal! Crimp is fine, but the wire is broken , here is where the heat shrink comes in it supports the wire and spreads out the flex of the wire! The factory crimp and wire focuses the flex in one spot, right behind the terminal and causes it to fail!
    Again, crimp, solder, heat shrink, support wires = no failure! Just my experiences, in the trenches!

Bones

ekimneirbo and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  18. Since this an automotive forum I fail to see heat causing solder to fail as a factor. I can’t imagine where a connection would be exposed to that much heat.

My method? Sometimes I solder stuff sometimes I crimp stuff, I can’t say as either method has caused me any real trouble.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. In probably 90+% of all heat damaged wire incidents I've seen over the years it's been either a loose/poor connection or a failing switch contact generating the heat. Direct shorts to ground generally account for the rest.

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s how you can find some poor connections…. by running your finger over the wires and connections! Might burn your fingers….but finding the problem is sometimes worth it!lol:D

Bones

21. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

A thermal imaging camera can find those sort of issues fast, and w/o burning body parts. Modern solutions to old problems. ;)

osage orange likes this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The OEM's got away from soldered joints because of speed on the assembly line. Much faster to crimp than solder connections when the strength being about the same, crimp saved a few fractions of a cent which added up to dollars in total expenditures. 100 pennies saved was the same as 100 pennies earned.

I mostly crimp, but I don't have a high dollar tool, just a good, heavy, well made cheapo. Never had many come loose, the ones that did were usually because I didn't get a good crimp or were bad terminals to start with. I also solder when I think it might be better, at places like headlights, coil connections, starter terminals. All with mechanical support, regardless of connection. We see a lot of failure in the trucking industry with unsupported wiring. The OEM's do a decent job of supporting wiring, but some lazy mechanics take supports loose and fail to put them back, usually resulting in a wire failure down the road.

ekimneirbo, blowby and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Damn! I wish you would have told me about that a couple of years ago!

Bones E9D63816-8D79-4FDE-AA0E-AF94876ED58F.jpeg

osage orange and Johnny Gee like this.
  24. So the solder joint failing is a symptom not the failure…

Blues4U likes this.
  25. blazedogs

blazedogs

Wow ,thanks for all the great replies.In short I guess what has been said is to do whatever works best for you, practice practice, & use quality tools, I have always crimped in the past and yes the crimping tools were not the best and in regard to splicing the wires ,the tools I used were probably inferior . Pulling the dash down each time I had a electrical issue is really a pain. Hate to admit it but this is the 4th time I have the dash unbolted and pulled back to work on wiring. I will go with soldering right now & see how it goes.
    Changing the subject abit, I envy all you guys south of me. Just looked,the temp is 8 degrees right now. I still work out in my shop regularly with the nat gas ceiling furnace on ,it makes it more spendy now but hey it's my hobby & love it.. Gene in Mn

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

In the early 80's I was having my friend pull terminals from bulk connectors to make electrical repairs on his 63 Nova. He hooked his thumb. It would have made a bass fisherman proud and a vampire bat happy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

If you've got any of that 8 degrees stuff to spare, send it my way. Frosty the Snowman is looking more like a slushie :D
    Aussie Christmas.jpg

Cheers,
    Harv

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  28. Well, yes and no. A solder joint per se won't cause the initial heating if done right, but it can fail in such a way to accelerate the heating process and as a worse case allow the wire to fall out of the connector and arc against other things. A crimp connection doesn't present those additional hazards.

Boneyard51 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  29. dirrty

dirrty

A lot of good practical experience mentioned here. To get a little technical, the actual type of connectors is the biggest issue. Don't use the cheapie auto store, HF, etc. connectors that have a split it the barrel where the wire is installed, only use connectors with solid tube barrels, these won't come loose if properly crimped. The very best are the new type connectors that have solder and an extended sleeve filled with a sealer, all activated with a proper heat controlled heat gun. Soldered, and sealed in one step. Not as easy to overheat as a soldering iron can. These are the type a lot of aviation installs are going to, but they are not cheap. In the end it is still clean everything, do it right, one time.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. One more trick to keep out water is to use heat shrink a size larger than needed, then fill a throw-away syringe with handle dip and shoot some into the heat shrink at the terminal or joint before heating it. Eliminates any moisture or air. The extra step is too tedious for every joint, but exactly the thing for headlights, taillights or anywhere that water and high amps do their dirty work. Learned this trick after repeatedly having issues with my Massey Ferguson.