Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Insurance Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nadodave, Dec 15, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

The more I read your posts, the more I think it's probably good we live far apart.... Lol. I can see me n you starting some trouble and wasting some cash blues....

To keep on topic, I used to take people out and buy bar tabs and expensive dinners on the company credit card. And at the end of dinner I'd say "pancakes" and everyone would ask wtf. I'd say I'm in the food business. We just talked business. So I can buy on the company.

Insurance.

Blues4U likes this.
  2. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

What quirk? You should not have registered it in the first place if it did not run. Just got the title...you did not pay attention. And for $1400 you should have got a hell of lot more than a title. Believe me, I have seen this movie before.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

In California do you have to register the vehicle as soon as you get the title in your name,here in Ohio I just put it in my name and register it when I get it ready for the road.

4. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

No, works the same here.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It entirely depends on what he has tied up in the project, I was thinking in drug home with nothing done to it condition and not with 10 + K tied up in it. I've never spent 10K on any vehicle I have owned in the past 49 years, so I guess I am indeed out of the loop there. I was thinking 2500 dollar car that he was going to buy tags for when he changed the title and he needed minimum cost liability to satisfy the state and actual insured value could be worked out when he started putting real money in it.

This state lets you transfer a title by "Title purpose only" you get the title back but don't get a registration or tags, you have to register it and buy the plates when you are ready to put it on the road. That gets it legally in your name and a clear title.

6. Neither have I, but when the tree falls on my $800 purchase, I need to be compensated for pain and suffering, and it's just good business practice. If your car is in my shop and it burns down, would you be pissed if I only had minimal insurance? Or can you relax knowing I have more than enough to cover your loss? I wanna come out ahead. But we can kick the can back and forth all day, I'll do things my way, and everybody else can do it their way, we all win! I gotta get back to work...

7. 5window

5window

That's not lucky, that's stupid. If hiding your car/assets is more important than honesty in your marriage, that doesn't speak well for your odds of a long relationship. Best wishes.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Then what is the non op registration for.

9. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I live in California. My 55 Tbird has had Non-Op status since 2012. I have "Comprehensive Only" insurance with J.C. Taylor. Annual premium is about $100. If your car is currently registered, you will need to show proof of PL and PD. PL and PD and current registration are not necessary if your car is not operated or towed/w wheels on the ground on California public roads.

It sounds like there were/are title issues with the OP's car and possible back fees owed due to not having a Certificate of Non-Operation.
    I'm sure that other states, including Oregon, have similar vehicle registration laws. Nevertheless, my daughter's next-door neighbors have 4 cars, two of which haven't run in years, and not one of their cars has current registration. It's my opinion that they buy junky cars, don't bother to transfer title, and drive them until they break-no current registration, no insurance, and probably no driver's license. Those of us who are legit are paying the price. Personally, I would prefer enforcement of laws that are on the books.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is not the same as your state.

California is a title state. The issue a title for every single vehicle, all 40,000,000 of them. A new title issued to the new owner shortly after the sale.

A title and registration are two separate things, and we have two classes of registration: operational, and non-operational.

When you buy a vehicle you have a fixed number of days, I think it's 30, or maybe 10, I forget, and it's early, to submit an application for a title. That's the minimum you can do for ownership transfer.

You then must choose how to register it. You can put it non-operational or non-op, and pay a small fee for records maintenance in the system. In that state you do not have to have the vehicle insured. You of course cannot operate it on a public road.

Your other choices regular registration, which is exactly that, where you get license plates, and have to maintain insurance on the vehicle. You then can operate the vehicle on public roads.

If you are late with either of these types of registration, or in getting the title, there are late fees up to a point. If you exceed all of the grace periods that are available, you are charged the full rate as if you've been driving the vehicle the whole time. It's easy enough to avoid, it is two forms that have to be filled out. And the proper advice has already been given.

TL;DR: The non-op fee is a fee for records maintenance, in the state as large as this one with as many DMV facilities as this state has, and a computer system as large as this one is, they cannot store your record for free, or at the expense of every single taxpayer. The system is largely funded by those who own an operate motor vehicles.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

What is the deal with the back fees,to me it sounds like California is wanting the money one would spend on tags even though its not being driven. I do not live there so I am curious on what is going on,here in Ohio if you quit registering it you just pay for the current tags and go from there but now have a 10 dollar late fee if you do not renew on time but I think goes away after a year but have to get new tags since the old ones are out of the system. If you want to keep the same tag and number it has to stay registered which insurance will be needed since the tags are up to date.

12. evintho

evintho

Ohio is waaaay different than California!
    I give the floor to Gimpy................

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

California has a money problem. Our gov't likes to spend, they are spendaholics, and so they have to get money everywhere they possibly can to support their addiction.

moparboy440, 2OLD2FAST and Budget36 like this.
  14. 5window

5window

Without going political, I am still waiting to see any state government that is fiscally responsible and still considers the welfare of it's citizens.

46international, XXL__ and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Since I do not live there just trying to figure out what is going on so correct me if I am wrong. How I see it the state requires you to license a vehicle right after the title is in your name and if you buy one that someone quit buying tags then the state wants the new purchaser to pay what the state was getting if it had beed tagged the whole time.

16. Budget36

Budget36

There may be new/different laws. But 4 years ago I bought a car that would not pass smog, I transferred into my name and non-op’d it. I only got the paper printout. DMV told me when it passed smog they would send me the title. So even so it’s in my name, I don’t have a title stating such.
    Now why would I do that? Well, I just bought it to do a T56 conversion on my daughters car. Pick and pull came and picked up the rest of it.

17. 5window

5window

How'd you get P&P to take it without a title?

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

So they sometimes do not give you the title after putting it in your name,this is getting interesting and just trying to get the facts and not trying to get political.

19. Budget36

Budget36

I signed over a release of interest, or some such thing. When I called them I explained (as I did above). I assume they contacted DMV to verify.
    To be clear, the vehicle was in my name, but I did not have a title for it.

5window likes this.
  20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

About 10 years ago I bought the trans out of a truck that was driven from California that I was told they could not get the title and it had current tags,I guess I will stay here.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  21. 55blacktie

55blacktie

10-15 years ago, a family member, who lives in California, bought a Mustang on ebay. The Mustang was currently registered in Washington and had a "clear" Washington title. After the buyer paid for the car and brought it to California, he discovered that the car had a tainted title. Before Washington issued a clear title, the car had been registered in another state/w a "Salvage" title. To make a long story short, the new owner received some compensation from ebay and was compensated for the seller's failure to disclose that the car had a salvage history.
    Many state motor vehicle laws are for the protection of consumers. Ever been a victim of hit-and-run, only to find out that the "registered owner" of the vehicle had sold it, never transferred title, and the identification and whereabouts of the current owner could not be traced.
    I see quite a few motor vehicles on California roads/w expired tags/no license plates. My daughter's next-door neighbor had a car that only had dealer's name in place of plates, even though it was an older car. In January, 2020, California dealers, by law, were required to issue a temporary paper plate/w ID number. The neighbor recently sold the running, driveable car, still without license plates. More than likely, the buyer will continue to drive the car, as is, until it's wrecked, stops running, etc., and then abandon it (if not impounded), and then buy another. Are you going to blame the state for that?

Nitroholic and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

One thing to add to this: the fee for a non op is a one time fee ($21), you get a notice every year if you want to return the vehicle to the public roads and register it. ABC.
    There is way too much whining and misinformation about dealing with the DMV...most times it is self inflicted. IMG_5902.JPG

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For CA registration of cars with back fees due, Keep this vehicle code section handy. It might just save you some serious coin. Many DMV clerks aren't aware of it.

Vehicle code section 4604 (d) (3) exempts vehicles described in VC 5004 from the Planned Non-operation program. VC 5004 describes vehicles of historic value ("at least 25 years old and of historic interest"). It does not say that the car has to be registered under 5004, just has to meet the description.

24. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Thanks, 51504bat, I didn't know about 4604(d)(3); it might be of some use to me. When I obtained a Certificate of Non-Operation, I thought it was good until I'm ready to put the car back on the road. However, I recently read something about Certificates Of Non-Operation having to be renewed annually for a $5 fee. If that's true, I haven't been doing it. I have not received any DMV notices for my 55 in a number of years, which, by the way, has California Historical Vehicle plates.
    No doubt, laws are more complicated than they should be. I guess we can thank legislators and lawyers for that. It's particularly hard to justify them, when they are not being enforced. I don't think the problem is unique to California.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In California you cannot legally sell a vehicle that doesn't pass smog check (1976-up) to any of place but a salvage yard.

It is the SELLER'S responsibility to take care of it.

If you purchased a vehicle and it won't pass smog, you can have it repaired so it does, and have the State send the bill to the previous owner, via the DMV.

XXL__ and Budget36 like this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

California had a budget surplus, and has had one for years.

Saying otherwise is just more neo-politocal state bashing.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    XXL__, Nitroholic and MCjim like this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see it as a problem. This is an exceptionally easy, and very inexpensive procedure to engage in.

Nitroholic likes this.
  28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Wow! I’m glad I live in Oklahoma! I would be in trouble with my 75 non running vehicles! Right now…. they just sit there with nothing! The ones I deal with I black tag!

Bones

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a one-time fee of $1,575.

30. 5window

5window

I like California. Not looking for trouble. Glad to know about the surplus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.