Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nash Metropolitan suspension swap options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Scott

Scott

Just purchased a 1957 Nash Metropolitan. Im going to swap in a later model V8 SBC or V6
    I would like to do a front suspension swap. If anyone has done this what front suspension did you use to accomplish this, it will obviously need to be narrowed.
    pics later
    Thank you

2. Scott

Scott

Thanks gang

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Corvair front ends may work . Still a few around here. Just may have to search around .

4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

You may be up for a major project. I worked with these Metropolitans in the early '60s and my deranged memory tells me that those had unibody construction and not very hefty underneath. I suppose it can be done but ?

Tim and LOST ANGEL like this.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yeah, without an actual frame, you are in for some real design fun.

Years back I was going to build a 60, Rambler 2dr. wagon. No question about using a full, round tube frame ! Unfortunately, after laying things out fully in my head, exactly what I wanted, I didn't build the car. To do it the way that I wanted to, it would have taken much too much money, more than I had at the time.

Then, I thought like you, to build a street car out of it. I looked closely at the front of the Rambler, (much like the Metro), and...decided that, again to do it well, that it would take some real work in both, design time, tooling and building bracketry.

I'd say, look for a shop that is set up for doing this sort of work, let them do it.

Not saying that you can't...just saying that to do the work..."well", it'll take some time and money.

Mike

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Build a tube frame and you would be good to go for front /rear suspension/ engine etc. I know not everyone wants to do that , but I think it would be a solid direction.

Scott likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one of those damned things from 1964 to 1966 and they are beyond flimsy and true the stock suspension is not up to much of anything.
    Corvair is probably too wide and not much stronger. It's probably the easiest to put in even after you narrow the crossmember if you have to. Front tread of a 65 Corvair is 55 inches. Front tread of a 63 Corvair is 54-1/2. The square Corvairs had a 4 lug bolt pattern while the 65/66 had 5 on 4-3/4.
    Me in Metro (2)-X2.jpg
    I'm thinking that most of the tower for the A frame and the upper A frame is outside of the unibody on a Corvair making that part easier.

Spooky likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

64 Corvair crossmember on top showing that the A arms are outside what amounts to the frame.

naked 64 crossmember on the bottom.

I'd go with the V6 and pass on the V8 The V8 will require cutting several inches into the firewall for engine clearance.

Those bodies are really flimsy, that rag top I had would flex on an incline and the door would either stick close or stick open and you couldn't close it. Not a great car but in 1964 4 guys could fit in it and fill the tank on pocket change for a long night of cruising the Ave. Corvair front.jpg 64 Crossmembers 1.JPG

Front track on the Metro is 45.3 inches so you are going to be 10 inches too wide with the Corvair front end. Wheelbase 85 inches overall width 61.5

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  9. Scott

Scott

Seem like a better plan

10. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

If you have the original engine which, I believe was an MG, why not do some cool mods on that? There should be parts to hop the thing up somewhere. Those little cars were made for commuters and such, not for racing. Very wonky suspension and a gear shift lever that felt like it was made of rubber.

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The front suspension assembly from an MGB unbolts as a complete unit. There are upgrades available for V8 MGB's. Might be an option.

12. The MGB and Met suspensions share no parts in common

13. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I recommend that you take your tape measure to the nearest "pickapart" and select a whole new chassis to be shortened and/or narrowed -- especially if you're going to use a V-8.

I did that on my 54 Plymouth with a 78 Chevy Malibu frame. I ended up using El Camino frame rails but gained a frame set up for a V-8, later transmission, disc brakes, parking brake in rear brakes and more. I channeled the body 4 inches over the frame to get it a little lower.

It might be easier narrowing and shortening the chassis than starting from scratch making one.

Plymouth.jpg

Smiffy, rockable and Tman like this.
  14. An OT set up is available for a metropolitan
    Price seems reasonable . A google search will locate it.
    But not discussed here

Gremlinguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. wvenfield

wvenfield

While that may seem a lot of work, I'm not sure that wouldn't be the easiest solution.

16. @anthony myrick , could you send OP a private message with info you found?
    Thanks

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The Hamb is no place for a mustang 2 IFS discussion. I cleaned this up (again)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. evintho

evintho

Moriarity is right! Take a look at the 'Frame Swap Faction' group over on FB. Lots of ideas over there!

19. Gofannon

Gofannon

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Possibly you don't understand how freaking small a Metropolitan actually is. Frame swap means tube frame built from scratch. With an 85 inch wheelbase and 45.3 inch tread with nothing fits. Even the Corvair crossmember has to be narrowed 10 and maybe more inches. I don't think even those mid 60's Japanese mini trucks are narrow enough without making them narrower.

21. A Chevy II 4 cylinder would be a cool swap into one of those little cars.

anthony myrick likes this.
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

2000 cc Ford 4 banger , this maybe too late on an engine for the forum . But it’s a good engine

23. An early Buick v6 is cool.
    Looks like a mini nail head

chevy57dude likes this.
  24. goldmountain

goldmountain

A Metropolitan is a stretch limo compared to my '34 Austin Ruby. My latest front suspension idea is to use go kart- ATV parts. So far, it doesn't look that promising. Have a huge pile of parts, however.

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That would be my choice. Box tube frame, Jeep Cherokee tube axle narrowed to fit, narrowed rear of your favorite flavor, V6 or V8 engine of your choice. Open those wheel wells up so it doesn't look so dorky, stuff the rear full of some cheater slicks.

26. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Take a look at a few of the Morris Minor builds here on the H.A.M.B. I know they were built as a Gasser but that would be a starting point.