Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features A Pickup with Potential?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Dec 17, 2021.

1. The best way to tell a 35 from a 36 is the windshield. 35 is hinged and the 36 is fixed with screws through the frame. JW

Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  2. indyjps

indyjps

I like it.
    Drive as is, or some upgrades. A 5 speed would probably help it a lot. Any V8 would be plenty of fun for that little truck.

3. totally agree a mild little one of a kind shop truck, with an upgraded interior, would be my vote.
    And I too wanna know about that killer flat-bed hauler, it's perched on top off. Wow!!

Stogy likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Ricks Garage Willys was wearing the same paint in 2012 at the Portland Roadster show.
    [​IMG]

5. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone know where this yellow truck is now? I would love to see what, if anything, has been done to it.o_O

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

make a nice little drive around truck.
    There is one I saw at Columbus this year, super nice clean truck. I think it had a v6

7. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

It's kind of funny how the caption for the Portland Roadster Show says that the paint is yellow and then they have a picture from when it was green.

Thor1 likes this.
  8. Reading comprehension is a good thing....they said C-10 and then you get your panties in a wad about S-10. Clean off your glasses friend.

Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Noted Jrs...My apologies to @Curt Six, @hansboomer and anyone else I offended...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    Thor1 and Jrs50 like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-20_4-46-14.png

Hello,

We have always liked old pickup trucks. We lived in an area where they were in the workforce and we saw all different kinds of them from old, beat up ones, all the way to a cool, full custom Ford f100 Candy Red/Tahitian Red pickup daily driver. The old ones were definitely in the workforce.

Most were in great condition for the daily drivers, whether it was using the truck as a work truck or just because they liked trucks. The full custom one was also a definite daily driver as my brother and I saw it almost daily, parked in front of the owner’s shop. So, an early influence was good, as it was something different than what our dad always had in the garage, a giant Buick sedan.

The 1936 Willys Truck width is narrow, so the occupant has to be somewhat thin and shorter, although the angle of the roof may give some odd looks, but allow a little more room for taller folks.

Of course, the coupes were first on the scene in the early 50s in So Cal. But we never saw any on the road. One was photographed winning several races at the old Santa Ana Dragstrip, but it was not a truck.

Jnaki

My brother and I eventually bought a 1940 Willys Coupe and compared to the 36’s narrower track, I don’t know how comfortable it is for cruising around. Our 40 Willys Coupe was tight for two teenagers with the small sporty car seats pushed back. But, or 12 second drag runs, one could survive it, even in the 1936 Willys 77 pickup.
    upload_2021-12-20_4-48-48.png A custom, modified, Willys Truck, SBC, 15 inch mag wheels, big/littles, updated driveline, and a slightly lowered rake...

This body style has the potential to be a good comfortable cruiser. We don’t all have to have those “up in the air” fake gas class trucks. With a lowered rake, cool rims and a nice glossy or frost black paint, it could be a cool cruiser.
    upload_2021-12-20_4-52-17.png
    What is not to like about this coming down the road or in your rear view mirror? Nice grille, huge headlights, smooth flowing fenders… all steel and cool.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  11. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I like the yellow, gives it a worn, Nylint toy truck look! I agree with hopping up stock four/ or going to jeep V6, upgrade brakes, get those funky Willy's caps, and enjoy!

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I would bet it still had the Olds in it as well ! Jack Coonrod's race cars were always yellow.

Hamtown Al and Thor1 like this.
  13. El Mirage Garage

El Mirage Garage

I think I ,too, would leave it pretty much alone.. Maybe try to get the front down a little bit, pop on some stock hub caps (ha ha, probably like hens teeth), maybe swap the wide whites for black walls. That's about it.. Just enjoy it as is.

Thor1 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  14. 33-36 caps are the same, those wheels need 37 onward, i have both. They are out there as Gassers don't need them. JW

Thor1 and 38 2 DR Sedan like this.
  15. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Thought the dude’s name was Keith Krandell according to Tom Maples. Inside joke…