Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fixing Front seamed fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Sonnenberg, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Do you guys re enforce your 2 piece seamed front fenders? Do you weld down the seam? Or just leave as is if they are in good shape. I have to fix the seam on a section of my front fender on my 29 chrysler roadster but im wondering if i should also put some stitch welds along the inside of the fender the whole length 20211218_173323.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  2. rusty valley

rusty valley

Ford? I can't think of any 29 model car that has a seam at the front. are you sure that hasnt been "fixed" already

3. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Sorry ill edit my post. Its a 29 chrysler roadster

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've had luck separating the seam and strating both parts then reattaching them together with the spot welds on the flange.

anthony myrick likes this.

5. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

So its hard to tell on mine but is that how they are normally attached is by spot welding the seam together?

6. indyjps

indyjps

Most preferable is to cut the seam out and fully weld, metal finish. If you do weld the seam and leave the flanges in place, it needs to be solid, if you just spot weld you'll get enough moisture behind the filler that it will pop over time.

7. BJR

BJR

After spot welding I have had good luck using paintable seam sealer in the seam.

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

The seem on one fender was messed up, so I cut it out and welded it together, then metal finished. The other fender still looked good, so I tack welded and seam sealed. 10 years later, the spot welded seem is showing.

Cut it out and weld it together, then metal finish. Gene

rusty valley and Doug Sonnenberg like this.
  9. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

What if i weld the seam solid on the top of the fender and stitch weld the seam under the fender. Then seam seal it all. I like the idea of leaving that flange in there for the extra metal while welding. Im also tossing the idea of welding in a 1/8 or bigger rod along the top seam to have a raised edge look on the fender

10. rusty valley

rusty valley

If you do it that way, I would grind the flange off after you weld the top

11. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

You mean grind the flange off from under the fender?

12. pitman

pitman

Flange adds strength.
    Tacks spaced secure, 4"- 6"?
    Sealants applied to clean metal
    Preserve. ;)

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Nothing to do with seams, but check out Carter Auto Restyling on Youtube. The guy is doing great work on fenders and he is Canadian.

Doug Sonnenberg likes this.
  14. rusty valley

rusty valley

Yeah, grind off the bottom flange, and you then could see if your welds look good underneath, and fix em up as required, then finish grind top and bottom like a regular patch. That flange only has the purpose of holding dirt and moisture after you have welded the top, so get rid of it...my thoughts anyway