Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 Pickup Interior for Pennies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I decide to tame the shrew alittle, Maybe even make the opened piped flathead alittle more user friendly.
    This engine sounds like no other I have heard. My wife hates it.
    Too loud she says. After trying to explain hotrods are suppose to be loud I conceded and decided to install insulation and interior panels.

The cost of this interior was a total of 55.00 or so.
    I used what most do for insulation the silver duct insulation that has the bubble core. After installing weatherstripping on all the door openings. I began looking for some type of panel that is workable, easy to cut and most importantly bends into shapes that will not break like a wood or masonite. the interior of these cabs have alot of bends and in order to make it work, I need something that would follow these contours.
    I made a trip to a artist supply and hobby store and found a panel that comes in large sheets. 60 x 48 x 3/8.
    These are the foam core panels that have a plasticized coating on them.
    After making a cardboard template that fit into the kick panels, back panel and roof. I cut these to fit. These panels are plenty stout and can be glued screwed or tattoed to get them attached.
    The coolest thing about them is you can bend them aplenty without breaking them. Even with a 90 degree bend it was a simple as taking a shallow cut on the back side, similar to a drywall cut and bend it to shape. After I made this cut and bent it to shape, I used a heavy type of tape and taped the backside. this helps re stiffen this area.
    These panels can be found in colors too. You can easily glue a material on them if thats what you desire.
    I wanted to follow the same style as my door on this truck and just went for the stark look with a few screws holding it in place.
    I installed a upholtstry piping long the edges of the doors for wind and to cover the edges of the panels.
    For a cheap solution to something that came out fairly well, i decided to share this with you guys.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alanp561 likes this.
  2. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I'll be damned that is really cool and low buck.

4. Nice, give's me some great idea's for my own 34 pickup.

CBB

5. Sticher1

Sticher1
    from Ct

Hey nice job that stuff is easy to work with I use it on airplane interiors all the time ya can do just about anything ya wanna do with it

6. Sounds like good stuff for an open car.

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thanks!
    Whats nice about this stuff is it's tough. It can easily withstand any knock or puncture without damage. Its easily removable after application because its so pliable. Just in case you may want to install a material over it. For the cost, you can easily make alot of mistakes and redo it. The material is stout but very light. Good for a roof application and light enough to glue or better yet velcro in place if you want to cover the material without any visible hardware.
    Probably not a new idea as alot of interior guys probably use it for certain applications. But as cheap as it was and easy to work with, I thought I'd shoot a couple of pics of my application.
    I'm pretty happy with this stuff.

TA DAD and alanp561 like this.
  8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

What is this stuff called?

9. bigken

bigken

Hey Russco, how's it goin'. Met ya at Chuck-a-Burger, a year or two ago.
    I think they refer to that stuff as Foam-Board..... You can get it at major hobby/crafts stores.

10. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Very creative! Great idea to copy.

11. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I like it! There is a Michael’s craft store near me. I’ll check it out. Thank you!

Petejoe likes this.
  12. Not unlike the tag board liner that I have seen in restored 32-34"s cabs.Insulating the fire wall makes a big difference in those years. In the summer so much engine heat radiated from the engine it was like riding in a oven.

Petejoe likes this.