Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1929 Model A Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jjsound, Dec 12, 2021.

1. jjsound

jjsound

Hey H.A.M.B.ers.

I picked up this roadster back in October. The seller was located northwest of Des Moines and delivered to me at Iron Invasion. I have no history on the vehicle other than the builder passed, and the widow sat on it for a few years before selling to the person I bought it from.

The car is right on as far as a 50s hot rod goes. Model A frame, '32 shell, flathead V8, twin carburetors, three-speed transmission...

The car needs a lot of love, which one doesn't?

If anyone knows anything about this classic ride please let me know.

Thanks!

Here's a photo of my first rip around the hotel parking lot before loading on the trailer and heading to the show.
    IMG_6798.JPG

2. jjsound

jjsound

There was a lot of noise coming from the driver's steer brake. It turned out to be both shoes were loose inside the drum. Lucky for me Marty had a box of shoes that he had no use for. After some quick brake service I managed to put about five miles on her.
    IMG_7833.JPG

3. jjsound

jjsound

The 97s were in need of rebuild, the wiring in poor shape, and all the shiny parts were looking pretty dull.
    IMG_7834.JPG

I took steel wool to the intake and and chrome. The 97s got a rebuild after soaking overnight in carburetor cleaner.
    IMG_7835.JPG

Ron Funkhouser, ClarkH, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. jjsound

jjsound

Here's a video from the day I got the thing home. The passenger door is classic.

hfh, Jet96, Ron Funkhouser and 4 others like this.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love it,but finish the paint job with some nice shiny,awesome buy! FUN Fun

6. jjsound

jjsound

The body paint is in great condition and is not high on the list. When the time comes it will be done properly.

7. brady1929

brady1929

Well, color me jealous. Nice roadster.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. jjsound

jjsound

Thanks, Brady, but if that coupe in your avatar is yours, there's no jealousy to be had.

Stogy likes this.
  9. jjsound

jjsound

Aluminum, chrome, and stainless has all been cleaned. Carburetors have both been rebuilt and installed.

I plan to eventually clean up the firewall area including fuel pump/regulator and ignition components.

My next step is to procure proper stainless fasteners for the headers as the ones provided aren’t the correct size.

8F471388-4B0B-40FD-BC43-D8F13B7A245C.jpeg

10. jjsound

jjsound

I need to shorten the rear header bolts but otherwise it’s coming along nicely. All threads chased before headers went on. Anyone else come across larger diameter bolt holes on the forward exhaust port?

BFD33C3D-2B50-46C9-95FE-CC444F7D39BC.jpeg

11. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Nice looking roadster!

Stogy likes this.
  12. jjsound

jjsound

Thanks! I've gone through a lot of less-than interesting vehicles to finally get something I'm excited about wrenching on and driving.

Stogy likes this.
  13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Awesome little car!!

It was probably a snapped bolt that got drilled out and tapped oversize. Never seen it on a flathead but other engines yes. I know the thermostat housing mounts on my Edelbrock CH4B on my 283 has two different size holes and they didn't come that way.

Stogy and jjsound like this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great looking roadster! I agree that the paint is just fine as is. Have fun with it!

Stogy and jjsound like this.
  16. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

The front bolt is larger than the others. It was made that way. Watch your bolt length so they hold but don't bottom out. Headers can take a little longer or shorter bolt than manifolds. If you run into problems just send it to me and I'll store it for you. No charge. Kidding aside, that is a cool car.

17. jjsound

jjsound

Yeah, I purchased shorter bolts as the manifold bolts bottomed-out before contacting the header flange. Plus, new stainless just looks better.

Thanks for the bolt diameter information. I didn’t take a real close look but it didn’t appear to be any sort of repair.

Stogy likes this.
  18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

never had a flat head that did not have the front 2 bolts bigger diameter...

dmar836, Carter, wheeldog57 and 2 others like this.
  19. Ducbsa

Ducbsa
    from Virginia

The generator bracket looks lonely!

Stogy likes this.
  20. jjsound

jjsound

Ugh, it houses a hideous GM alternator, for now.

Stogy likes this.
  21. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 50 flathead has larger bolts on the front flanges too. I thought they came that way!

dmar836, jjsound and Stogy like this.
  22. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its a fact that Ford different size bolts on the exhaust manifolds. I've known that for years but I never knew why. Someone on here must know the answer.

jjsound likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on the new acquisition...have fun with it and it seems you already are....

jjsound likes this.
  24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Neat ride! Are you going to keep the deuce shell on it? I always liked the look of the stock shell on 28/9 and the deuce on 30/1. Just my opinion though.

25. jjsound

jjsound

I wondered if it had something to do with the fact the exhaust pipe attaches to the manifold up front. Maybe the heavier bolts are for exhaust system support?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  26. jjsound

jjsound

I really like the original grill as well. If I had it I could run it and the hood top which I really like.

Stogy likes this.
  27. jjsound

jjsound

I’m looking for ID information on this steering arrangement. What is it, and what has your experience been with it?

Excuse the moisture. It’s oddly 65° in Wisconsin. Last week was slightly below zero.

AF88C3C1-F44E-4A2A-9700-97F4334450BA.jpeg 05EA7B27-509E-4832-A9A1-3FBC80F0F2DB.jpeg

Stogy likes this.
  28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the fill plug was drilled for a zerk fitting so the box could be filled with corn head grease. But that's jus a guess.

Stogy likes this.
  29. ratreo

ratreo

Yeah, I purchased shorter bolts as the manifold bolts bottomed-out before contacting the header flange. Plus, new stainless just looks better.

I love the car. Just a suggestion though, if you purchased the “stainless” header bolts from a conventional hardware store or from epay you may run into problems. Most hardware store stainless is grade 2 strength. Snapping a stainless bolt off flush with the head will ruin your day

For that application I would look at the “High Strength Stainless” company for parts

just saying…

barrnone50 likes this.
  30. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

All of my flatheads have had 7/16 bolts in the front holes and 3/8 in the other holes. If using stainless bolts pay the extra money for the better grade and make sure you use "Never Sieze" so the threads don't gall. Hardware store grade stainless shouldn't be used on anything requiring high strength. They really like to strip or gall threads, then they are a real bitch to remove. Learned that one the hard way.

Jet96 and Carter like this.