Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical rebuilding chevy 235

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Motoriac, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Motoriac

Motoriac

Dear hot rodders,
    my name is Torsten and i am living in Germany.
    Some years ago,i swept a 235 from 57 in my 31 chevy roadster. Now it needs more oil than gas, so i want to rebuilt it and hop it up. I hope you can help me with your experiance.
    Here are my questions:
    Where can i get a cam for street and strip? And do i have to make pockets in the pistons for the inletvalves ?
    What valvesprings can i use? Does something from other cars fits?
    In the books i read about tubular pushrods, but can´t find any.
    what compressionrate can I go with pompgas 95 octan. Has someoen weldet domepistons by him selfe? I think there is nothing availible nowerdays.
    thanks for your help Headbanging+2016%2C+ponyfotos_078.jpg

2. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yep . The world is your oyster on those engines.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. 50John

50John
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's been quite a few years since I bought one but I had good luck with cam kits from Clifford Research. Most of their other stuff isn't too traditional though.

Napa replacement push rods used to be tubular but again it's been a while since I bought any. You can also get them custom made for not too much money.

I did have to notch my pistons but that is with a pretty healthy cam and milled head.

Again, it's been a number of years and I'd have to dig it out, but pm me if you want more info.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Smith in Oregon USA will make proper push rods, get 5/16”. They need length. Manton in California too. Both on the net. Isky has cams for a 235/261. For oil burning, only a bore and pistons may be needed if there is too much taper. Your crank my be fine with a clean up/polish and bearings. Use “Best” brand gasket set, they have the best vintage gaskets. Check your valve guides closely as they may be an oil burn problem too. I’d advise positive seals on the intakes.
    For an intake Clifford has a nice 4-barrel that can also be used as a 2 barrel too with their adapter. Might be enough for you. Keep the 4 barrel at 500 cfm or under for best drivability. There are 2-3 Holleys and the Summit which is better than most will ever know. Good luck.

6. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I shaved the head .100, sunk the valves .125, removed the valve guile in the intake runner, installed Powerglide intake valves, three faced the valves, installed Buick 455 valve springs, opened the shrouding around the exhaust valves, milled the intake valve stems .125, did a little cleaning in the runners and installed Smith pushrods. I sent them an old one and the used it for length to make the 5/16" rods. I have built several intake setups including Offy triples, Fenton duals and am currently building a ram induction setup with Carter side drafts. I am currently running a McGurk roller cam which works OK, but I'm sure there are better grinds out there. I installed a grommet in the draft tube hole to hold a PCV valve and routed it to a fitting in the exhaust and I installed an HEI distributor from https://swapmeetparts.com/ . I have bought 6 HEI units from them and am a happy customer. I am running a 261 with an 848 head. The head work cost me less then $1000 CDN.

7. Motoriac

Motoriac

Yes! These are the informations i need:) thanks a lot
    But i don´t find the parts in the web shops.Only parts for late 6´s after 63.
    I will contact them next week.
    @ wuga, did you installed the Hei for the late models in a 235? And do you have a partnumber from the buick valvesprings or the year of the model . just tried to find them at rockauto with no result.

Clifford and Tom Langdon has no cam instock. I hope Isky can help me. In their shop i only find V8 parts.
    I found a camgrinder near by, but he has no expereance with this cars. But if he would get the specs, he could regrind my old one

8. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

11. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve run 90# springs at 5500 for more years than I can remember in my LSR engines and every cam manufacturer want at least 130’s for their flat tappet cams. The 283 Corvette specs in a motors manual changed my opinion as 270’s and FI’s all called for less than 80 and guys turned them 6000 plus rpm.
    In the Competion Products sales catalog spring are listed by installed height and diameter. Many many available and bee hives for LS are really close. Don’t go nuts unless your all out racing.

13. 6sally6

6sally6

I always recommend Delta Cams in Tacoma Wash. They have always treated me right and do good work.
    Re-grinding cams is their main work.
    They made me a custom roller for my "M-word" SBF and it is JUST what I was wanting!
    Ask for Ken.
    6sally6

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Torsten , I think I saw your beautiful roadster at the Hindenberg Dirttrack Races a few years ago. I´ve ( re)built a couple of 235s myself and I´m just building a 261, so if I can help you out with anything , just let me know.I have quite a few leftover parts. Where are you located? I´m about 100km east of Munich.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    tractorguy and Cosmo49 like this.
  15. belair

belair

16. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

Fleabay purchase. It had a three pot Offenhauser. The Thickstun isn't an exact copy of the original, but it is a well made piece.

17. Motoriac

Motoriac

Yes it was me in Hindenberg. I would like to get in contact with you, but don`t know how to write a PM here.

18. Motoriac

Motoriac

@wuga, yes i find the ignition i like;). i will order the smallcap with external coil for classic look.
    thank you. And i mailed to Howard´s and Crane just wait for an an arnswere

19. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´ll send you one with my ph# in it.

20. Motoriac

Motoriac

[​IMG]

What do you thing about these specs?
    Til now, only clifford arnswered my questions, but he will grind in march but i would like to build now.:(

21. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think 3 month on a custom grind is pretty good. I think you should contact Delta. They are smaller and might be able to fit you in sooner and I think they know grinds for the 235 better.
    Warren

22. 6sally6

6sally6

I don't know 'diddly-doo' about sic cylinders except they sound funny (at most all RPM's)
    Don't mean to sound ugly......just a V-8 sorta guy.:cool:

Anyhow....206* intake & 212* exhaust is a pretty good spread but not excessive IMHO
    462intake lift & 503 exhaust lift DOES sound like too large a spread especially when coupled with the 6* spread on the duration!
    I can appreciate the exhaust needing more time to 'clear' the cylinder. That's why you give it 6* longer exhaust duration OR........even 41 more exhaust lift than the intake....BUT BOTH??! Maybe if the exhaust is a 1" water pipe with an old peach can for a muffler!!!
    I would definitely get another opinion from another cam grinder. (I could be wayyy off base because its a 6!?)
    I do like the 108* LSA(Lobe Separation) Good/quick bottom end and finished by 5500RPM or so. About the max for a souped-up 6.
    NOW......if that were a cam for a nitrous set-up, well that would work pretty good but the LSA would be worng.

23. Motoriac

Motoriac

Wont ship to Germany:mad:
    the other guy you supost dont answere, perhaps because of christmastime?

24. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just talked to Delta cams regarding building me a full race cam for my 261. Several points came up. If I want another roller cam, I need a roller cam core which means I may have to sacrifice my McGurk roller. If I want a 235/261 performance cam, I have to supply a 261 core identified by three dots on the end. Delta currently has no cores. Being from Canada, I can probably come up with a few. Millions of 261s were sold here in Pontiacs from 1955 until 1962. I told him of your quest and he said to send him an email since they cannot always answer the phone, Check their website deltacams.com for contact info. If it would help, I can probably supply him with a 261 cam for your project. This will not happen over night, but these guys are in the northwest, home of 6 cylinder racing and know more about 235/261 grinds then all the others put together.
    Warren

25. Motoriac

Motoriac

just opend the engine. Warn and knurled velveguides, Warn cilynders. But already bore to 0.06"
    Will it funktion when i overbore it to 0.08"? Or will the sleeves get too week?
    Found pistons with 0.08 Oversize but i can´t find pistonrings

26. Motoriac

Motoriac

tried to contact delta, but still no arnswere, perhaps winterholidays.
    will wait and disasamble my motor and clean the useable parts.

27. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

28. D Newcomb

D Newcomb

Inliners International Club-All the pros there- Nothing but inline engines. Also in Europe MVPA is huge. Military Vehicle Preservation Assoc. Lots of Chev and GMC trucks left in Europe. Newc is in Lebanon, Or Home of the Filling Station. Also the VCCA Vintage Chevrolet Club of America contact them. Newc

tractorguy likes this.
  29. Motoriac

Motoriac

Thank you for your great Help and tectips,
    I just ordered the most parts for my engine. I try a camgrinder near my village, because there is much trouble (and money)with shipping parts from and to europe.No stock parts availabel. He has long exerience . We will see. I tell you when it runs.
    The only problem are the pushrods. Actually tubular pushrods are out of stock at napa, falcon, cleggs...
    Smith and Montan dont answere my males.