Register now to get rid of these ads!

History For Sale: 1957 Kellison J5

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 1, 2019.

1. Hi. I am currently writing a big article for Gasoline Magazine on the history of Kellison. Any chance i can use any of the many pictures you have? Would be highly appreciated / Hank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. I will own a Kellison one day! I saw Clarks wife bought him one recently

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. That orange car sold out of Florida for $5k originally before going up north then being offered at a substantial increase.

kidcampbell71, Sancho and loudbang like this.
  4. loudbang likes this.
  5. bchctybob

bchctybob

I had a J6 body that I found in a backyard in Stockton, Ca about 20 years ago. My Dad and I had looked at the Kellison ads in HRM for years dreaming of building one. I bought it and held onto it hoping to build it when I retired. With too many projects and too little time, I sold it a couple years ago to the owner of Eagle Field. He made it into a roller and I believe it went overseas to Norway or Sweden.
    Mine had a full floor and at 5’11” I fit just fine in there. Hnstray is right, they were very basic kit cars with an enormous amount of work required to make them into a decent street car. Definitely not Factory Five level. There is a Kellison registry online with lots of pictures and information.
    A real nice running, driving one showed up locally on Craigslist or Cruising News a few months back for 16k and I really had to summon all my self control not to go look at it with cash in hand.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Clark

Clark

Ha ha...my new trick is to say my wife bought it for me. That way she cant yell at me for buying it
    The car didnt have doors and a pair showed up on here. Luck is on my side

The37Kid, kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  7. PackardV8

PackardV8

I was one of those who saw the 1" x 2" b&w ad in '62 HRM and sent away for the brochure. Was certain I'd own a Kellison eventually. Saw one for sale, went with cash in hand. Couldn't get in, couldn't work the pedals, couldn't get out. So many things are better admired from afar. Often reality sucks!

jack vines

Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Someday might come.

Tman likes this.
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How tall you need to be to fit into one of those? About 3 feet tall?

10. I understand that they don’t fit 6 foot+ very well. All the cool cars were built for smaller men. My life’s work has been correcting those mistakes.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. I think 1/4 mile times of 190 in 8.65 seconds qualifies Roger Hardcastle's Kellison as the most badass ever. In the mid 60's, with Pat Akins blown fuel 392, driver Gary Southern ran these times with a high gear only drive train. Way ahead of it's time, "The Stinger II" sat on a owner built titanium frame.

The Stinger.jpg

12. Today might be the day....J5 coupe

13. Didn’t happen. Went over my budget at a local auction. It was a “new” old stock body in pretty nice shape but never built. Sold for $2250. It was a J6.

kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  14. Bummer

15. the flatlander

the flatlander

where did u say the Devin is ?

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Right before Covid hit, I gotta call...

"There's a Kellison J6 here. Originally built in 1965, but never finished. Current owner put huge wheels on it and that's it... He wants $15k for it."

I was out of town at the time, but headed over as soon as I got home. It was already sold and gone. From what I understand it had an original injected 283 in it and a muncie. If someone runs into this thing, please contact me. I think I know something about it.

Sadly though, I'm not a buyer.... I've tried like hell - I just don't fit in one.

17. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

18. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10 years ago I helped a friend dig a lost Kellison out of a dilapidated garage. Last driven in the late 60's.
    I'll try to dig up some photos. We had to move part of a wall to get it out.

19. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang, what pops up 182 miles from the house when you didn't have a winning lotto ticket.
    Those have been on my short list since I drooled over the bodys for sale in the back of Hot Rod in the 60's. I went out to check on the body shell for one a few years ago and someone had pushed it into a brush pile with a front end loader. It had sat out in the open for years and as far as I know never got set on a chassis. That was the very bare body shell that most racers stuck on another chassis.
    I had a Deven body in the early 80's that was still in the raw fiberglass (all chopper gun no hand laid) when I got it. A friend's son has it now and is supposed to have it pretty well finished.

Rolleiflex and kidcampbell71 like this.