Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a Brookville roadster pickup? Update: NO. Now building 1929 roadbriolet/cabrioster pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Here is a panhard bar kit, which could also be fabricated.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933950637...kJKIyBJ_rOgOBE1_vvT_uJgDl0zeiacIaAsRLEALw_wcB

The kit includes a bracket to bolt to the right hairpin batwing (shown on left side of photo 1). If the bolt ears were cut off, the U bracket could be welded to the inside of the right side split bone, I think.
    The other bracket welds to bottom of left side frame rail. The panhard bar should be approximately parallel to the ground.

There are guys who say a panhard is not needed. I could search for their rationale, not sure I agree with them.

hotrodjack33, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  2. Do you need a number for the inside front wheel bearing seal?
    I have a number for Superbell hubs. I'd guess they are the same as other "Ford" hubs.

3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Phil,
    You are a real treasure in finding stuff!! Thanks. My helper is already at work locating the seal at a local parts house.
    I'll holler if that doesn't pan out. I'm also grateful for a PM about an option for addressing the panhard bar. I'm not going to worry too much about the panhard bar until the pickup is back together and I can go back by the ice cream parlor:D on the way home and get it on my lift for easier access and more precise measuring.;)
    Thanks again to you, and many others, for your interest, help, and suggestions with our cabrioster:D pickup.:)
    Al

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Looks like a months worth of opportunities you got there Al. Good thing you are taking things apart and finding them!
    This would be a good time to get those chrome lugnuts.:rolleyes::D

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Priceless!!
    I love a guy that is consistent.:D
    When ya coming for some ice cream? You can bring some chrome lugnuts so we can try them.;):D

6. Annnddd, my buddy is digging through his stuff for a 3.00 ratio traction-lok 9 inch. Will update you.
    Opportunities and ice cream!!!

7. Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Traction-lok!!!:)
    He gets ice cream, too!!:D
    They still have deep dish apple.;):D

Thanks again, Phil, for the added help with part numbers.;)
    I'll check on progress tomorrow.

On a different note, I took the 36 Fordy for a quick spin today while I was shuffling the hot rods around... love that truck!:) IMG_6460.JPG

9. dwollam

dwollam

As much as I love '40 Fords of any kind and I also don't care that much for '35-37 Ford pickups, The '36 Fordy is perfect!

Dave

10. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Henry should have made those!

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7079.JPG
    Called Summit with Wilwood hub number to get correct seals. Also noted a few other opportunities to address!:eek::D
    Also located 2X3 inch tubing to make cab mounts... should be much easier to fabricate than 3" channel.;)
    My shop is lonesome without the little Ford.:(:D
    Hopefully we'll be riding by end of week... if the dang parts get here!:rolleyes::D

loudbang, brEad, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  12. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Looking for parts tomorrow!!
    I'm starting to go into withdrawal!!

Thanks for your interest.

14. ................I tend to do the same thing when cold weather really sets in. Not that I have even half of the talent, skills or resolution as you, Al, but once Winter gets here, I seem to go into "survival" mode, my motivation diminishes and I just try to stay warm!:(

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7084.JPG
    IMG_7085.JPG
    IMG_7086.JPG
    I said paint everything black and he is sure trying!;):D
    Now, if we can just get it all back together!:eek::D

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7091 (1).JPG
    You can't tell from the picture, but the new body mounts are fabricated and welded to the frame.;) The cab was not level on the chassis before!:eek::D
    We decided to add an additional mount at the rear of the cab to aid in supporting the back of the cab and to have another option in dialing in the fitment of the doors to the back of the door opening... the gaps!;):)
    Also got the cab centered and square with the chassis.:) Front end is now repaired and all nuts tightened which got rid of nearly all of the play in the steering wheel.:)
    Going to do some painting while we have it all apart. Rust Reformer on any remaining red primered spots and then sand and paint with gloss black. It is coming right along! I miss not getting to do more of the work myself but hope to have it back home soon. We still have to resolve and fix that dang dripping rear end!:eek::D
    I promised to take my helper for ice cream when he gets finished.;):D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    brEad, kidcampbell71, dwollam and 5 others like this.
  17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7123.JPG
    IMG_7124.JPG
    IMG_7125.JPG
    IMG_7126.JPG
    Now, fellas, this is what you call a "high boy!":D:D
    Final mounting points are established and should come back together shortly... as soon as the paint dries!:D
    IMG_7127.JPG
    The driveshaft is out so the rearend drip is being addressed... I hope!;):D
    Stay tuned.;):)

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The rearend drip is fixed! That's the good news. The bad news is that the young fellow helping me saw the extra plug on the back of the third member and figured it was there to fill the rearend.:eek: He said it took quite a bit of rearend grease. I told him that was because that was not the correct fill point.:eek::rolleyes::D I asked him to remove the correct fill point on the front side of the third member and drain out the excess grease.;)
    I told him not to feel bad; like a dummy, I did the same thing on another day when my mind wasn't quite engaged!:D:D
    He also painted the back of the cab.:) I think we've got all of the chassis painted now... or dang close!;):D
    I'm hoping to bring it home by the weekend... I might want to use the pickup to play Santa Claus!:)
    Imagine; the doors should open and close more easily as they should be correctly aligned for the first time ever.;):) We are also going to weld tabs about an inch long on each nut used to mount the cab. That way we will not have to put a wrench on the nut in order to tighten or loosen the bolt.;) The tab will stop the nut from turning after about a quarter turn because the tab will hit the fabricated mount welded on top of the frame.;) I'm going to slice a notch in any big washers used for alignment purposes so that the washers will become shims and we will not have to take out the mounting bolt out each time we want to make an adjustment.;) That should make life much easier in the future as things settle... at least that is the plan!:D
    I'll have to find some knobs to use for inside door handles... cabinet drawer knobs are traditional ain't they:eek::D?
    I'm thinking of putting the top back on but it won't help much with the cold as it doesn't have any top material on it,:eek::D
    I need to put the frame for the top on it so I can correctly align the windshield at the connecting points before we do the final sealing around the windshield frame.;) The top fit when I got it but not so much now that I removed the windshield to do body work and then bought and used the correct bolts to mount the windshield.:eek::D I'm glad we found that the alignment was off before we sealed the windshield to the body.
    I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good!:D

I thought about trying to keep the big wooden block spacers so we could win the "highest high boy" award!!:D:D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  19. loudbang likes this.
  20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Phil, thanks once again for your help! It has bear claw latches with two options to locate just a knob I think.
    I like the look of your find much better than just a knob.
    Regrettably... (I'm still fighting withdrawal!:eek::D) the pickup isn't here:( so no pictures.:eek:
    Tomorrow is another day.;):D I'll see what I can do.;)
    Thanks again.

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heya Al, I've seen older pics of you, and current pics. You have slimmed down a lot:D (good for you, wish I could say the same:(). Anyway, you better get a BUNCH of padding for that Santa suit...no body likes a skinny-ass Santa Claus:eek:;)

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Finding padding shouldn't be that hard but I'm a bit concerned about making my black on black on black into one of them being red!:eek:!:D:D

23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^great options!
    Thanks

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Traditionally Christmas colors are red and/or GREEN...ya see where I'm going with this...;)

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

green 29 rpu.jpg
    Here's a green one for you Jack; even has some red in the interior!:) I found it over on the traditional thread with no explanation. It even has fenders!:eek::D Bumpers, too.;):D
    IMG_7066.JPG
    I prefer my black on black on black sinister look... maybe not so sinister with my handmade quilt upholstery!:D:D

26. Man, that green one is nice…took me a minute to find the truck in the first picture though.:D

27. Bet the green one doesn't have a nailhead!

hotrodjack33, Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7133.JPG
    The body is down on the mounts.
    IMG_7134.JPG
    The driveshaft is back in.
    IMG_7135.JPG
    No drips from the rearend.
    IMG_7136.JPG
    The firewall is painted.
    IMG_7137.JPG
    It is great to see it coming back together. Hope to get cab bolted down soon.
    Stay tuned!

brEad, hotrodjack33, loudbang and 5 others like this.