Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on the 1932 Ford 5W drivers door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MERCURYGUY, Dec 16, 2021.

1. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

I have been told that the drivers door on a 1932 Ford 5W is very close to the 32 Drivers door on a 32 4 door Sedan. It this correct ? if so can some one out there tell me how the latter can be adapted as the aftermarket doors are way up there. Thanks Tom

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I think they're the same length or very close but the top is shaped different?

maneri likes this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

I measured two Fordor doors, one was 27 1/2” at the top of the belt line and the other was 27 5/8”. That 1/8” is probably typical for manufacturing tolerances BITD. My 5W door is wider, 27 13/16”.
    The height at the very rear (the top of the door slants upward toward the rear) on a Fordor door is 44 11/16”, the 5W is only 44”.
    Reworking a Fordor door has been done before, but to me the big tell is the shape of the top of the window opening. The Coupe is straight but the Fordor has an arch to it.

pprather likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Also, I think the inner jamb is slanted a bit differently. A coupe is narrower at the B pillar, so the doors are closer together in the back. I think the fordor inner jamb where the hinges mount is angled a bit more, making the doors hit the cowl jamb before closing all the way.

I've been working on an old hotrod chopped 5-window, with a pair of fordor doors replacing the long-lost originals. Along with the arched tops as mentioned before, I had to modify the front jambs to let them fit correctly.

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

irishsteve likes this.

5. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Did this very thing some time back & since it wasn't on a show car I didn't fret the wider gap at the 'B" pillar, as I recall about 5/8" chop on the vertical & a partial diagonal cut at the 10 o'clock position or so in the top front window opening about the width of a hack saw blade or two allows the top section to be pulled down to butt up to the modified vertical, this will cause the top right corner to kick out at an angle which in turn will necessitate another chop to shorten the top frame only enough & at the proper angle to align the corner. As I recall another partial diagonal cut at the 2 o'clock position will square the corner. Careful measuring to each body is required as not all are consistent. The slight curve as mentioned on previous posting is negated by the horizonal modification, although the upper inside corner will remain slightly different but will work & this too can be modified or fitted with 4 door upper door tins if available. The door gap is limited to slight fore/aft with flat washers on the 'A' pillar screws or drilling the door side rivets out & adding flat washers & nutserts for reattachment. This will permit only an equal gap on front & back of the door but something the individual needs to assess themselves.... I left well enough alone. The power of the H.A.M.B. might provide additional suggestions...Stand by ..... Ron

irishsteve likes this.
  6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Several years ago I parted out a 4 door body and had a guy buy the doors, said he was going to fit them to a 5 window. Never heard back from him.

7. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

Many thanks guys for the tech info Tom

8. Try your question on fordbarn.com. The guy that "wrote the book" on '32's hangs out there. Be sure to place a couple of ads for swaping before you start cutting.

Charlie Stephens