Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do it your self Trim Clips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charleyw, Dec 17, 2021.

1. After my F-1 was painted I started to install the hood trim using reproduction stock type formed wire clips. Evidently I have no skills for that sort of thing and had real difficulty inserting the clips into the trim in the right position and managing to get them in the holes without wrecking the paint. I think the repro's are of a thicker material than oem, hence the drama.
    So, being from the south, I came up with the following attachment method. Using box store strip aluminum, McMaster-Carr sourced serrated studs and plastic nuts. Cut the strip to size, drill a small hole, bang the stud in with a hammer, done.
    This allowed me to position the clips in the proper position without undue force and adjust the overall trim position easily. The aluminum has enough rigidity to hold in place but still have a little spring tension. I used plastic nuts (double nutted) to keep me from overtightening. In three years I yet to have one loosen.
    That's the backstory, hopefully the pictures will suffice. This method should work for those hard to find oem clips too.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      68.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Genius idea:cool::)

Jeff Norwell and charleyw like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Interesting. May have to use that . Thanks .

4. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

An old machinist friend taught me that trick, all of the trim on my 40 and some on my 55 use that trick. Much better than the old clips for sure.

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

It makes total sense. They would have probably done that from the get-go, but it was probably cheaper to do the wire clips.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That’s tits. Just love the do it yourself attitude on this site.
    Great idea

7. I refuse to use the original equipment style clips, I prefer to use the universal trim clips available at most shops that sell automotive paint, tape, ect, many different sizes.

I attached every piece of trim on the wagon with them. HRP

[​IMG]

8. Don't forget about windshield urethane, in those spots where you can't get to the back side, a dot of urethane on the back of the trim, pressed in place, piece of masking tape to secure it overnight, and the bond is stronger than you'll ever imagine.

9. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Magnifique!!!

charleyw likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Two words - Galvanic Corrosion.

charleyw likes this.
  11. 3 words "74 years old" lol

12. Good job! You can buy this style ready-made, they look about the same size. If the flat part is too big to fit, they can be given a quick haircut. If you use these, make sure the corners are radiused a bit, if they are left "sharp", they can deform the strip when you start to tighten them up and the corners dig into the edge.

Carter, olscrounger and charleyw like this.
  13. clem

clem

For those younger than 74 :
    You could use all stainless steel components then, - s/s nut, bolt and strip behind, - problem solved…….

LOST ANGEL, olscrounger and charleyw like this.
  14. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Great idea will use that idea for my chop top trim.

charleyw likes this.
  15. on my F-1 hood side trim, I just used a 1/4'" bolt with a flat washer slid into the trim, then slide them to fit the hood holes, worked super easy....mite not work on all trim.

charleyw likes this.
  16. 5window

5window

Nice job! It amazes me how much time and money was wasted on every car manufacturer designing proprietary clips for almost every use. Thousands of them. How much money could a company make by selling you replacement clips?

17. My younger brother ran a body shop years ago until he developed a severe allergy to isocyanates. Windshield Urethane was his go to for a lot of things. I remember him repairing his tennis shoes with it. I tend to get it all over everything, kinda like Never Seize.

18. [QUOTE="charleyw, post: 14314967, member: 17856"I tend to get it all over everything, kinda like Never Seize.[/QUOTE]
    Plus you can't get off your fingers with any commonly used chemicals :(

charleyw likes this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They make the fastener you made. It is the same thing. The flat piece is a bit wider (an inch?) with groves in it so you can trim to the width you need. No need to make the part from scratch. Good idea thou.

charleyw likes this.
  20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Zinc Chromate for the clips and the heads of the bolts prior to inserting the bolts through the clips. Worked for fastening dissimilar metals on aircraft.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Excellent creativity and problem solving.

charleyw likes this.
  22. Those can be modified too. eBay has them in small batch lots, body supply places want to sell you a box of 50.

fauj and charleyw like this.
  23. Know of a 57 210 Chevy changed to Belair trim. Hard moldings around the windows were installed with urethane. Some 20+ years ago. The wipes you get for hand cleaning will remove the urethane if you don let it dry.

charleyw likes this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Great Tech Tip Thread

bobss396 and charleyw like this.
  25. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Trim to width required to fit your particular trim. To be clear, I like the tech tip, just showing an alternative.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    kidcampbell71, alanp561 and charleyw like this.
  26. hotrod428

hotrod428

I wish I would of thought of that, I drilled the holes a little bigger so the heavier clips would go in.

charleyw likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice, great enginuity, but hard to remove the trim if needed behind upholstery. There are places for both. The ends of my stainless all have nuts with star washers attached. I’ve used the universal type with and without a spring just to secure with nuts.

charleyw and alanp561 like this.
  28. Nice.....thanks for sharing !

charleyw likes this.
  29. When I did my hood trim on my 50 half ton- you can see it in my avatar, I was able to put together enough useable originals. The trim sort of floats in the mounting holes, not sure that the new fasteners would work that way, but it is ingenious.

charleyw likes this.
  30. I've been fooling with F-1's since I was 14, saving parts and piecing together Trucks. But, as luck would have it, when it came time to do this one I couldn't come up with a good set of oem clips. As far as orienting trim, the home made clips allowed me to position them without problems. I'm not quite sure what you mean by floating. Thanks for commenting.
    upload_2021-12-18_20-39-35.jpeg