Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Car hauler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdsmith33, Dec 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. sdsmith33

sdsmith33
    from kansas

I am buying a car in Portland but live in central kansas. Can anybody recommend a reputable/affordable hauler. Reliable is a good company but they are 2 to 3 times higher than other quotes I have received.

Thanks
    D

2. atch

atch

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hamb o’dex.

4. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

I've shipped two cars from the west coast to the east coast, and used a broker (4 Corners Auto Transport) both times. Once from San Diego to Baltimore, once from LA to VT. This was uncovered / open transport, 1 car so no "volume discount" (if such a thing exists for mere mortals). 1 car didn't run, the other did. Price was between $1200 and $1500 for each, I don't recall.

4 Corners was okay to deal with, although they can be a bit gruff over the phone. If I was moving more HAMB-friendly vehicles, I'd likely stick with the Hamb-o-dex as suggested above.

Good luck!

5. sdsmith33

sdsmith33
    from kansas

Thanks for the speedy replies. Any first hand experiences.
    Thanks
    D

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

BenD has been moving Hamber cars for decades. I used him once. Great reputable guy.

7. DreamerJ

DreamerJ

I called 12 diff haulers and their broker games are pure shenanigans.

I just shipped a car from WI to CA using a private hauler, no broker, no BS, through a HAMB referral. Super affordable and private enclosed trailer.

Ive got his number in the garage, PM me if you want it and I'll dig it up.

ratrodrodder and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. I used PDQ Auto Movers for my Ford transport. See if Missy still answers the phones. She kept me informed all the way on the move and no parlor-game tricks either.

9. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

If my old memory is working correctly, most of the HAMB haulers are one man company's. They shut down for the winter months. Your luck might vary...

Russ

5window likes this.
  10. I have used Reliable a few times; excellent all the way and you do get what you pay for. Many times, broker quotes are just to get the booking fee and will never get picked up at a low price.

11. 5window

5window

I'd strongly recommend Bill's Auto Works, another HAMB hauler, but Bill's laying low for a bit, I believe. You could reach out to him for recommendations. I'm pretty sure you'll have a hard time to find a hauler who wants to take a chance on that route in winter weather. If you do, you'll pay for the privilege. Make sure the car is fully insured. Happy Holidays.

12. Thank You Jeff,

Yes you are correct, I have taken a leave from the road till March to help my elderly Parents (81 & 82). After a health scare with Mom a while back, I thought it would be a good idea to stay in town for them as the winter is tough on older folks out here in the country & I am an only child, so there is nobody else around.

There are 2 other QUALITY Transporters in the Hamb O Dex section : BenD & David Robert Phelps! I am pretty sure Ben will not go up to the Northwest this time of year, but Dave might! I am always available to speak with fellow Hambers who need some advice or opinions on transporting. As well as who I trust enough to put my reputation on the line recommending & who I would not trust to haul a shell to the crusher!

God Bless & Merry Christmas
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  13. 5window

5window

Merry Christmas,Bill. Always the gentleman.

14. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used Reliable twice. Good service but needed to be resleeved after each.

15. You're in luck, the Phelps guy just posted that he's available to haul out of the northwest in January. It's in the hambodex, coincidence?

16. Ben D and Bill both do a excellent job and both are hamber's.

These guys are dependable & trustworthy, I've used them both and would again if I needed there service tomorrow.

I know these guys and they both have stellar reputations, I know there are a lot of guys that have added their names to the hauling service and they may be fantastic but I am a creature of habit and I know what to expect from these 2 members. HRP

BenD has been delivering cars for the hamb for more years than I can remember.

Bill has been at it for almost 11 years.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to say that the Hamb haulers usually stay in contact with each other and Bill attested to that.

18. I had put in for a quote from DAS, Dependable Auto Shippers... what a MISTAKE. I was swamped with emails and phone calls, which gets whored out to every shipper and scam artist on the planet.

No HAMB shipper would ship to Long Island, that is where I started. Best bet is to find one like Reliable or another with a proven track record and stick with them. I have another local guy in Nassau County I would call the next time I need a car shipped.

19. sdsmith33

sdsmith33
    from kansas

Thank you guys for the info and recommendations.

20. 4ty

4ty

Truly Vintage..........................he posts here and on the "Barn".

Excellent IMO>

Paul in CT

trulyvintage likes this.
  21. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for you for having your priorities straight. I am going through the same thing with my dad (now gone) and my mom. You miss out on a lot of things by sticking around to take care of them but it is the right thing to do. Its hard watching your parents get old.

22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

had good luck with Uship.....in case hambers are shut down for the winter...

23. puller

puller
    from arkansas

BenD hauled my ‘55 Chevy about 500 miles last year and did a great job. No problems at all!

24. Hi Paul

Last Wednesday in Dunsmuir, California …

EEFB0310-704F-44B4-A4D8-09EB22B66EA5.jpeg

No plows were running north of Redding, CA
    even though I-5 was open - I had personal business
    in Southern Oregon so I left my trailer in Visalia, CA.

Oregon to Kansas is not a run I would schedule in Winter due to road conditions.

Picked up this 1950 Shoebox Ford Fire Captain Car this afternoon in Sacramento, CA along with some
    display cases - headed to Houston, Texas to drop
    off this full load after celebrating the Holidays
    with family & friends in Arizona and New Mexico.

5B0EFCE8-B3E7-4A68-88AE-B9311E59411F.jpeg

My next availability for direct enclosed transport
    is around January 15th, 2022 …

I am available from the Houston, TX area to anywhere in the lower 48 states that safe travel permits - I want to fill my 30 foot custom car hauler enclosed trailer ….

48A0606D-DD80-4ABD-BFBA-3EC87241AADB.jpeg

Jim

Click Here To See Where I Am Today
    What My Actual Customers Say Click Here
    Click Here To See Vehicles I Have Hauled

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My son is running I 84 from Umitilla Oregon to Jerome Idaho every other week to the plant the company he is working for is building there and I worry every time he makes a trip. The stretch from Pendleton to the Idaho border is nasty from November to April.