Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features A Pickup with Potential?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Dec 17, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

A Pickup with Potential?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Cosmo49, jnaki, HEMI32 and 6 others like this.
  2. v8flat44

v8flat44

Actually that truck wants to reside at my place....just as it is. Well, maybe a few mods...I like the grundge. Something different under the hood like a 292 Y block....done.

mctim64 and Stogy like this.
  3. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Yeah its so badass as is. Maybe a second carb, but just as is. Deal with rust and preserve. (PIPES)

Stogy likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that’s such an odd duck looking truck. If I had to keep it and not flip it…. Hmm something to think about today

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll bet that is rare as hell... Joey, your vision sounds just like the cats meow...hopping up the vintage gear is admirable...I might adjust the stance in PS and that'd be it...thanks for sharing Ole Yeller...

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Without a doubt this!
    But seeing as how it listed at $36K I would probably be happy just getting it running and driving.
    [​IMG]

7. Curt Six

Curt Six

I'm getting concerned about you Joey...

Thor1, catdad49, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  8. I've seen ads and articles on higher compression head, dual carb intakes, and even a supercharger kit for the early post-war Jeeps in some of the little pages mags I have. I don't know if any of that stuff would fit this pre-war Willys, but that would be a cool way to go about rodding it with traditional parts but not in the traditional full drivetrain swap Willys gasser style.

jakespeed63 and Stogy like this.
  9. i think i would keep it stock, but modify the engine so it can take longer trips without issue, and attempt to make a "car hauler" with a period correct style car trailer.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sorry, but I can't agree with that yellow, that would have to go, even just flat black maybe. I could still go with leaving the rest and driving it as an old truck, but that yellow I can't hang with. You know, a nice little 283 Chevy in the engine compartment wouldn't be bad.......

hotrodjack33, Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  11. I would not go the typical nose in the air, Hemi powered "gasser" path.
    I couldn't be satisfied with original drive train, driveability too much like a farm implement feel.
    I see the oddity as something to continue..a nice rake, dropped front axle, Olds powered, 4 speed, solid color (old school, no metallics), black rolled and pleated seats/ door panels, and kick panels.
    Tire and wheel choice- black tires (no white letter, or wide whites), torque thrust wheels, or steelies.
    Cool p/u

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Still thinking. Hmmm

Stogy likes this.
  13. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Here's a couple more pictures to cloud your decision :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Kinda with Joey. Maybe later inline four of some kind to get more oomph. T5 and a good rear.

Hauler ain't bad!

Ben

15. Ratspit

Ratspit

I like the truck the yellow one is sitting on. Anybody know what it is?

Stogy likes this.
  16. I see it as having the potential to put some extra cash in my pocket to get what I'd really want.

hansboomer and Rolleiflex like this.
  17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Cool truck. Do all of it.
    Run it stock for as long as you’d like.
    Then once you get the urge, hot rod it.
    Me??
    I’d be shopping for a hemi and looking for some frame and suspension upgrades after I tire of the stock look.

Rolleiflex and Stogy like this.
  18. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I'd like to admire that truck in my neighbors driveway.
    I like the idea of keeping it mostly stock, until I think about finding brake parts and ignition points and stuff. Maybe put the cab an a C10 chassis to make it a daily driver. Maaybe you could get a C10 chassis cheap fron a retired postal truck.
    OTOH I'm glad others want to keep stuff like that rolling.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Pretty sure that’s quite a lot smaller than a c10. A buddy has a 39 and I can’t even get into the cab it’s so small.

So I think I’d add some more hood louvers. @Tuck louver dies aught to get them pretty close. Stock drive train and some belly burner exhaust pipes.

maybe some shop signage on the door.

if I could keep it long enough to pop the motor I’d go 181 cid mercruiser 4 banger with a 4 speed.

I think if I was really going to go all in I’d steal the front sheet metal and rear fenders off a 35 ford car and drop it down a fair amount. But I’m not into it enough to pull off a project like that.

a face only a mother could love but I could like it for running parts around for a while

Stogy likes this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Joey,
    Around 1982, I bought a complete stocker out of back yard for $100.00. It was the 35-36 body, titled as a 37. It had some rust, but it would be a great project today. I took it to the Portland Swap Meet, and the only way I could sell it, for the $800. I wanted, was to part it out. The green one of Wayne Harry's, was one of my favorites, as I watched it race from 1961 thru about 1965. Wayne ran a Flathead with a 180 degree Norden crank, and with Lloyd Clemans blown Flathead. Wayne, then teamed up with Slo Pok Club member Bill Lewis, and moved to A/GS with Bill's blown Olds. Around 1964, Wayne teamed up with Jack Coonrod, with Chrysler Hemi power. Wayne sold the truck to Rick Lupke, who stored it for many years, until getting it on the street, with an FE Ford with a set of Webers.

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a little more concerned about the other shit others want to do at least he's talking hopping up a vintage engine and running with on topic fare...what I'm refering too is OT shit, wtf... I hope your all joking, S10 frameswaps?...I mean this is the Hamb after all and from long tenure membership too...there are guidelines and some would benefit from reading them...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Rolleiflex likes this.
  24. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

bowie, HEMI32, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That's it, wearing the yellow paint from 1964.

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'd get it running and leave it alone. :cool:

Stogy likes this.
  27. Those wheels are 37 Willys, they are the only ones with 7 slots and a Willys 4 Hurricane F head would fit straight in with some mount mods. Willys had 16 '' 4 stud wheels from 37 to the 39 Model 48. The 5 stud ones started in 39 with the hydraulic brakes. That pick up would look great next to my stock 35 sedan. JW

ebs121781 and Stogy like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty
    I recall this being a local build and Keith Randol built the engine.

Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yes he did, he struggled to get the '60 to turn the blower. And the Champ QC robbed some power as well. That is one well built, detailed little truck.

30. I bought a 1935-36 Willy pickup truck cab in 1964. I had to go to New Hampshire in the winter to dig it out of 3 feet of snow. I wish that I still had it today.

Stogy likes this.