Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration New here How I got started in the hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldskool96, Dec 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

Hi I'm sheldon I'm 25 I'm new here figured I'd post a few pictures of some of my hamb friendly memorabilia (as I don't have a hamb friendly car yet I have several old cars but all are post 1960) planning on finding another old car this summer pre 1960 here's just IMG_20211217_102422.jpg IMG_20211217_102658.jpg IMG_20211217_102214.jpg IMG_20211217_102302.jpg IMG_20211217_102122.jpg IMG_20211217_102525.jpg IMG_20211217_102840.jpg IMG_20211217_102154.jpg IMG_20211217_102721.jpg IMG_20211217_102347.jpg IMG_20211217_102243.jpg some of my collection been collecting emblems and memorabilia since I was 6 years old so I've got 3 sheds and a camper full of collectibles (or junk as some might call it lol) anyone else collect emblems?

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Welcome to the HAMB! My mother used to get so mad at me when I was a young teenager. I would drag home anything car related I could find, old hubcaps, fender badges, steering wheels, just about anything and hang it on the walls in my bedroom. Wish I still had some of that stuff! Looks like you get it, and have a great collection! Keep going!

3. Didn't collect emblems, hood ornaments, but I can see where it could lead into full on old car addiction..not a bad thing.
    Search all car ads available to you, and get yourself that first "hamb friendly car", sometimes someones neglected project can be a good place to start.
    Welcome

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Welcome to the HAMB @Oldskool96 I like your collection.

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes welcome . Hamb friendly is 1965 and older not 1960. So, you have a wide choice. Location?

6. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

Yes! I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to old car parts lol I don't sell anything my collection just keeps getting larger its a bit of addiction I also do life sized chainsaw carvings of hood ornaments and emblems hoping to sell a few of them im a art student at nscad.i see old cars as rolling art (new ones not so much)

VANDENPLAS, scotty t, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

T
    Thanks!! If anyone knows what the brass chevy emblem is from let me know I was thinking 20s or early 30s but I could be wrong

Stogy likes this.
  8. Welcome, Hmm getting started what to do. That's a tough in today's world. I'm on the other end at post 70 and letting go. For me Old cars weren't old yet, just broken down. You found something you thought you could fix if you had the interest, and that simple thing started the obsession. At least for me looking back that seems to be how I got here. With a Dad coming out of the Depression fixing things was just normal and I caught on. I was fortunate to get a few good jobs and became self-employed at an early age. Hot Rods at the time were turned away from the Open Door repair shops so I side lined, and it blossomed. For you young guys it seems you either buy into a built car for Large $$$ or you start with what I classify as Scrap Iron. Now don't get me wrong, I promote bringing them back. I'm well rounded at full Chassis construction, Rust repair, Hand formed panel beating and Motor work. I know what it really costs. For a Young guy buying a House and raising a couple Kids, it generally falls into the uncompleted pile of life.
    My advice would be to spend more going in and start with something solid if you really want to build. Next, don't just settle for something you can afford. Decide what you really like and do it first. Life is short and time passes faster than you think so if you want to drive it don't start over your head. Tools and equipment and workspace are mandatory to build in and with.
    Now, that all said I have several good builders tucked away I planned to do that I never will get to. Who knows, I may just have exactly what you want. You never find the Good Stuff advertised.
    What part of the country are you in?

9. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

im from middle musqoudoboit nova scotia Canada, right on I thought 1960 for some reason, oldest car I have right no is a 77 nova 2 dr I'm doing up on the cheap (It doesn't belong here as it's too new) I've been searching for a late 50s or older car for awhile hard to find in nova scotia as I live in the road Salt belt so is hard to find something that old in my price range that isn't a complete heap of rust ( even my nova has lots of rot welding a floor in it over the winter and rear frame rails and a trunk pan) eventually ill find a car I hope.. I'd really love to own a mid 50s pontiac chieftain as I can't afford a tri 5 chevy yet, or a 60 biscayne I know where there's one but they won't sell its covered in garbage and recyclables in a shed cars really rough though

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome to the Hamb Sheldon...I did exactly the same thing starting when I was around 12 or so...I used to go to Grandmas for summer holidays off school and there was lots of vintage tin everywhere you turned. Like you I collected emblems radios and other small pieces...and then came the magazines and a complete car...a 39 Chevy 2 door sedan...never finished that car but others I did get on the road...I sold most of the small pieces I got over the years and The Hamb now fills my itch for vintage everything these days...Have a look around and continue dreaming and enjoying and perhaps the classified is where you will find THAT Hotrod, Custom or Stocker with possibilities...

11. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

Hi
    Thanks for the reply!Im actually in nova scotia Canada I'm super lucky I have a dad that's been a red seal mechanic for 40 years learned every thing I know from him we have a large garage with lots of tools equipment and welding gear, yeah getting started in today's world sucks in some ways, my biggest challenge is finding other people in my age group interested ( no disrespect to you older guys! You guys are a wealth of knowledge and inspiration to me , I love to listen to storys of the good old days of hotrodding and learn new things!. Most people in my age group unfortunately have no idea how to even a wheel, meanwhile here I am changing engines, messing with quadrajet carburetors, doing bodywork ect, so I feel like kind of a lone wolf, I started a facebook for younger people involved in the hobby its not very big yet I only have 5 people in it.

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

13. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

Yes my collection will keep growing!most of the stuff I had came off old cars dumped in the woods I'm in nova scotia Canada I search kijiji and market place all the time I was offered a 52 chevy styleline for a reasonable price but the guy give it to his grandson instead I keep looking but so far all I've found is really rusty for huge amounts of money im gonna keep looking though

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Cool stuff.
    Now you need to take it all off the wall and attach it to a pre 65 Hotrod.
    Welcome to the hamb.

VANDENPLAS and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

16. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

Thanks!!! Yes definitely going to find car! Probably more than one eventually I live and breathe this stuff!

17. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

Thanks!!

18. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

Thanks! For some reason I thought 1960...oops I'm in middle musqoudoboit nova scotia Canada

19. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

Thanks! For some reason I thought 1960...oops I'm in middle musqoudoboit nova scotia Canada

20. williebill

williebill

Welcome! You're off to a good start! Good luck!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  21. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

Yes it has lol!! Yes I browse them every day I just want find something reasonably solid for a decent price here in nova scotia people want $4000 for something that needs major rust repairs where in the US I could find a car with alot less rust for the same money I don't expect people to give their stuff away I just would like something reasonably solid for 4 k I went and looked a 54 buick special 4 dr guy want $4200 for it it had no windshield missing 2 door handles, and a lot of the trim needed 2 floor pans (probably more rust hidden) front bumper was missing as well as the seats and the drivers quarter was rotted pretty bad, engine wasn't there either I think it was a nailhead I passed on the car. I'm keeping looking

22. Sounds like you have the foundation to build from. Good luck on your quest.

23. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

24. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Sheldon, welcome to the Hamb. Lots of great guys/gals and info. here, 24/7. Here is a site you might like to find
    where you emblem came from.....Bob

American Auto Emblems: CHEVROLET

25. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Welcome
    It's exciting to have new young members on the HAMB. It's going to be few years before your a crusty old puter bum. Lol
    You have a nice collection there.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  26. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Welcome aboard ..

27. mickeyc

mickeyc

Damn Son, looks like it too late to save you!
    You appear to have already acquired the addiction!
    Welcome, its pleasing to see some young enthusiastic
    person coming into the fold. Be warned you will
    acquire many much older acquaintances and hopefully
    friends. Of course most of your buddies will not get it
    and think you have lost your grasp on relativity. Hamb
    friendly as well as all old vehicles are labor, money, and
    cost intensive to say the least. The gratification can be
    immense and well worth the effort! The information
    and advice to be gleaned here will be beyond what
    you may imagine.

28. He's one of us! He's one of us! He's one of us! 390.jpg I got this disease at 14 , and they never found a cure. Welcome Sheldon

alanp561, VANDENPLAS and Petejoe like this.
  29. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

Thanks! I would say so haha Hopefully there's more young fellas out there with the same interests as me I've got 1 good freind my age that lives 5 minutes away from me that likes the same stuff as me we just put 350 in a old 77 cutlass we just tested it last night 3000 stall converter and open long tube headers and some other goodies the apparently the neighbors didn't enjoy the sound as much as we did they threatened to call the police it was only 5 pm out in the country he's got a few hamb friendly projects a 55 chevy panel truck

kadillackid and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  30. Oldskool96

Oldskool96

yep!!! It's never gonna leave me I don't think cool picture what year was it taken?

Petejoe and Ron Funkhouser like this.