Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What percentage of builds on the HAMB get finished?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I think of looking at build threads like the old saying “it’s not the destination, it’s the journey “.
    But you know what amazes me? I those who can do a step by step of the whole process, pics, write ups, etc.

I couldn’t do that for a “how to” on an oil change!

Cooon likes this.
  2. hipojoe

hipojoe

IMG_1057[1863].JPG This one... DADS Hot Rod took about a 65 year detour. I plan on adding one to the completed column!

Cooon and rod1 like this.
  3. Unfortunately my project has stalled. I started in spring of 2015, then my daughter was born, then I hurt my back the next winter, then once healed I moved which cost more than planned. I've accumulated some parts and done a little since but the car has been mostly untouched for a few years now. My current hold up has been with my dad. He gave me the car, it's one he bought and never touched. He decided that he wanted me to build it. Unfortunately he is not speaking to me so every time I look at the car all it does is depress me currently.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I've taken 3 of my last 4 build threads here to the licensed, insured reliable driving state so by that measure 75%,
    but not one of those have been taken to a paint, upholstery and chrome finished state.
    So for me personally, 0%

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Over the years, especially when I had my shop, I bought (or took in trade) many cars and unfinished projects that I had a particular interest in. I had a vision for each one but it didn’t really matter if I built and finished it or not as long as I didn’t lose financially on it. Call them “rolling assets”. I admire the guys on here who acquire a project and single-mindedly work it ‘til it’s finished. That’s not me. I have several project cars and I work back and forth among them moving each forward. When one gets close to running/driving I will focus on that one. I just like working on them, solving problems and building things.

rod1 and 1oldtimer like this.
  6. carbking

carbking

When I start a build, I first produce an agenda of "milestones".

Generally, when 90 percent or so of the milestones are complete, then the build is at a "practical finish".

The last build I can remember that hit 100 percent was finished in 1971

As an example of the final "impractical milestones"; my current playtoy is done with the exception of finding someone with an English wheel that also needs some rare and expensive carburetors. ;)

I would supply the carburetors, he/she would supply bumpers, hood, and deck lid made from aluminum.

Other than that, the build is complete.

Jon.

bchctybob and rod1 like this.
  7. I am only at about 30% on my ownm personal vehicles. I usually run out of money for one reason or another and have to sell to catch up. I am not proud or ashamed of that fact it is just the may life is, no doubt it is mym own fault.

I have helped with and built a lot of cars and motors for other people since I joined the HAMB. On those my part is at 99% (I bawked on an intake that's on me:oops:). Of those 100% have been finished and driving. Even the one with the intake that I didn't finish.

rod1 and rockable like this.
  8. -Brent-

-Brent-

I really don't like this thread. Hahaha.

bchctybob, rod1, rockable and 3 others like this.
  9. jimpopper

jimpopper

Because life hits hard sometimes and family is a priority, it takes about 10 years per project. The two I’m working on in my forced retirement are a couple years out if time and finances allow.

10. Koz

Koz

Virtually all of mine get finished but I'm always hurting for cash so most get flipped to somebody and I usually get the job of getting them done, but not always. I believe all my personal cars except the Vicky I'm working on now left as at least drivers. I've sold a couple after I realized I don't fit but that's another story.

rockable likes this.
  11. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I'M old. In the last 58 or so years, I've built and finished 7 hot rods and a 57 Chevy wagon. By built, I mean I did most of the work, on some, not interior work or paint. Also I built 4 to the point of finished, complete, but no wiring, paint or upholstery. On those 4, I sold them for various reasons, mainly because life got in the way. Along the way I bought a few, just to flip. Now I don't know how this adds up in the % column, but I'm 83 and I've got ideas for 1 more. Bill Rinaldi

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:D:D

13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I think it's time for a song.
    No...Joke, I think it fits. I think it's Del's best.
    Doesn't Matter...doesn't matter what people might say-ayy ayyy .

rockable likes this.
  14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

True hotrods are never done...

But I've driven everything I have posted on here Except a touring sedan that went to South Carolina. That car was a flip...

F-ONE likes this.
  15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've got 2 (or 3 if you count one I\m trying to sell) builds going on here, and neither is done. One has been going on for over 10 years (super radical 47 Chevy). I hit the brick wall when all mechanicals were done, bodywork mostly finished, and I needed to begin the chrome plating, and upholstery. Both of which I cannot do. Lack of funds stopped this build. My newer one ( Olds-Mad) is almost at the point the Chevy one stopped, but since it's an easier build (Hahaha), I'm pushing through with it. Besides, the plating and upholstery aren't going to be nearly as expensive as the Chevy. Hoping to be on the road this summer, probably without paint, to check everything out before blowing it apart for paint.

rockable likes this.
  16. I'd say it's something like 65-40

17. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

I'd agree with most here that say that they are never truly finished. My VW drag racer has been a work in progress for 24 years. But up and running? About a year. Then it was about refinement and sorting out the weak links. With every increase in power, weal links appeared. It is a reliable and easy to maintain mid ten second car. Now, it's my son's to refine and drive, as well as find the next weakest link. While it has run in the nine second zone, to do so consistently will require another bucketful of money and time. That is for him to decide.
    Currently, I'm only 4 months into my '65 F100. Lots of progress in the first few months, and it is soooo close to running. Yet quite a ways from driving. Now that systems are becoming operational, of course, trouble follows as one would expect. Simple stuff that just need to be worked out, but takes up time.
    In 50 years, I have only really bailed on one project. A 1987 HD Sportster. It was gonna be a "bobber." Bare bones, "piss off the neighbors" type of machine for in town riding. I got close, but it was at the point where I needed to spend some big money to make it the way I wanted, so it stalled. Covered it, and then "out of sight - out of mind." After having to move it around several times, I finally gave up and sold it.
    My F100 WILL get running and driving. But I seriously doubt ever truly finished.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  18. you guys are finishing projects? i thought the whole point of a project car is a never ending battle of trying to keep her on the road :p

Wanderlust and F-ONE like this.
  19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Sold a project here on the HAMB and it was finished and flipped within a year.

Tman likes this.
  20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I look back at the posts about my projects through the years and frankly I'm embarrassed by most of them. I had big plans. Plans are just that though...plans, nothing more. The more experience I gain, the more foolish I feel.

Many get excited about a project...excited about their plans they post, and things just don't work out for countless reasons. Car guys like to talk cars. They like to talk about their big plans. They like to share what they have done, the start they have made. When it does not work out...gets stalled...gets sold...gets hauled off...in other words fails...who likes to talk about that?
    The garage to scrapyard build thread is not going to get many likes.

Many are started and lay dormant for years.

Many of the successful builds are by professionals or by people close to the industry. Take for instance the 6 year old who gas welds and beats out a 51 Chevy fender or the 16 year old who builds a Y block powered Deuce Roadster. (both examples were featured in press) Such as this is often featured in magazines and media. What they don't tell you is "Daddy or Granddaddy" owns a multi-million dollar shop and these kids grew up in it.

The pay to play club....Gotta have this...Gotta have that....If you don't...you are shamed. I'll say that most of these "gottas" fall outside the relm of this forum. You don't "gotta" have none of that. What you do have to do though, is....fix the car.

The work of a build thread...pictures...commentary....this takes a lot of time and energy. The deeper I'm into a project the less and less I'm concerned about taking photos and posting about it. Kudos to those that do a great job of this.

The issue is in doubt....
    Really the best way to do a "build thread" is to take pictures along the way. Finish it or finish a good portion of it, and post that work in a series.

Lack of interest...
    It can be disappointing when someone accomplishes a milestone...does good work....shows a method or skill that can really help others...not many likes....not many comments, yet silly stuff gets pages and pages and pages of commentary.

Be honest. What topic below is going to get the most commentary?

How I repaired and tested my Generator and Voltage Regulator...

Flat Black, Porta-Walls, green wheels and fuzzy dice on my 64 Chevy 3/4 ton Panel truck gasser...should I do it?...

Really...in a way this all about entertainment. What's more entertaining, Generator repair or the forum feeding frenzy of a 64 3/4 panel truck gasser with porta-walls and fuzzy dice?

I'll close with this...
    I believe just about all input and long as it's on topic helps and improves the brain-trust of information here. I personally have learned a lot from questions asked, questions answered, and methods shown, whether or not the project was completed.

Wanderlust likes this.
  21. lostviking

lostviking

None. When is a hot rod ever done?

22. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

If you're smart, this is what you do!

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have finished 90% of the projects I have started and all of them in the past 10-12 years. farm out paint and upholstery. Usually takes about 6 months start to finish-only do one at a time due to space. Mainly 40 Fords but a few others sprinkled in --62 Vette 57 Fuely, and a Chevelle ragtop. Never start one without funds for completion and a 20% cushion.

Bandit Billy, rockable and 40FORDPU like this.
  24. I finish my projects, several over the years.
    I consider "finished", when I reach my intended goal I set at the start of the project.
    As has been said, they never really are "finished" though.
    I do all of the work myself, by myself, with the exception of upholstery.
    I have zero patience for trades whose promises/words are meaningless.
    It would bother me, and keep me up at nights to not complete a projected goal I set for myself.

rockable likes this.
  25. If that's the criteria, then it's 100% on all my builds. If it makes my 200 mile test drive doing exactly what I expected then it's time for the teardown so the random parts can be used for the new build.

rockable likes this.
  26. SlamIam

SlamIam

It's amazing to me anyone has the time to document their build on here, and I really appreciate those that do whether they finish them on the site or not, I've learned so much through their build stories - I finished my 51 F1 last year, but it took many years working an hour at a time in a shared 2-car garage - the Model A is next - I take perverse pleasure in bringing back basket cases that look like lost causes, that's another reason they take so darn long

jimpopper and rockable like this.
  27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I started this thread for a project I started 6 years ago.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-and-a-new-build-for-my-girl-59-edsel.970434/

It's sort of funny looking at that thread now. "My girl" in that thread is now my wife, and that car started at our previous home and was moved to our current property. We have a family now and it all seems like a lifetime ago.

I've actually done a ton of work to the car, but I got wrapped up with a couple of nice Oldsmobiles in the interim and pushed this one off into the corner of the shop. I'll get to it when I get to it. I've posted a load of pictures on FB and IG of the work I was doing, but it became pretty clear that a lot of the work I was doing was no longer HAMB-appropriate, so I decided to stop posting about it.

28. I was just thinking of this ^^^^^^^

Are they ever really done. I mean to the point that general maintenance and driving is all that is left? In my mind if it is running and driving (legal) that is about as done as it is gonna get. Paint, wheels tires, drivetrain mods are all an ongoing thing for me. I may like it red with M/Ts today and want it black with Firestones next year.

Here is an example. I had (actually still legally own I have been told o_O) a '46 Coupe. It was metalic blue when I first rolled it. It is still metalic blue. Rolling on radials (Michelin X as I recall). Cad powered, lasalle tranny. I got a deal on a 351C (Clevland Hamster) 4 speed. So I swapped it in. Rode it that way for a while and did the machine work and rounded up the parts to rebuild (and upgrade) the caddy. Then the caddy went backm in. The tires wore out and I did not like thr wheels so it went to Chromies on the front and painted reverse wheels on the back. Big and little Stones.

The lady who drives it now went back to radio tires no other real changes. For me they are never really done.

29. I'm in my 47th year working on the same project. The good news: I just got the 351W block, crank, pistons, bearings and rings after six months at the machinist and have everything to put it all together. The bad news: Hernia surgery is scheduled for bright and early Monday morning, so assembly is going to have to wait until I am fully recovered in February. Know what the snail said while riding on the tortoise's back? Wheeeeeeee!

rockable and wicarnut like this.