Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brookville 1932 Ford Roadster body

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Dec 29, 2020.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

All panels fit very good => he/they who put together this body has/have good JIG.
    Brookville bodypanels are best. I have seen those swedish 1932 roadster body panels, those are not so good than these brookville. Brookville = Top quality metal and top quality panels.

I have seen 10-12pc those ready 1932 brookville roadster bodies. This and my ex. roadster body looks same.
    I bought this complete car from Upland CA, as somebody knew that.
    I can reweld all, that is not big job for me. I spend 5-7hours every day in my garage, so no problem.

I was think those who can´t fix all or not realize to check all... they just leave new body direct to painting company.

I send email to Brookville + 1 week ago. They are too hurry to answer.

Im 99% sure this body is put together brookville or their contractor. They use rivets when they install floor panel.
    Everytime that panel is not fit there (my ex. roadster had same problem). Floorpanel is "too long" and after they have installed rivets, there is "pocket" between two rivet. Sorry my english. I do not know how to explain that.

Aulis

shortypu and Irish Mike like this.
  2. patsurf

patsurf

believe me-you are COMPLETELY understood!-great work on your part

5window and Irish Mike like this.
  3. Maybe the body was assembled in China by the Wong brothers & the 2 Wongs could not get it right ?

4. patterg2003

patterg2003

I can empathize with you on this 32 roadster body. It is frustrating when one buys something that they believe and may have been told was very well built. Its a kick in the nuts when it is far from what was expected. Yes you can fix it but it was not what you really wanted to do with your time. Fixing it hurts as it feels like being punished for something that you did not do. I have been there a couple times working on houses where a job should be straight forward and once I got started to find the work done was a good cover up. I spent countless hours this summer to now doing a major rebuild that I was forced into. It had to be done, did not want to do it, had the knowledge & skills to do it, could maybe find a contractor, did not have it in me to pay someone to do it for the high cost or want to watch to see that it was done right. Whew a long sentence. I have a couple hours left but it has been a hard zombie walk last couple months. The repairs are well done and the house will be good for another 70 years. The work on the house looks great but no one else will appreciate the effort that it took to make it is as it should be. You are in the same boat where you will make it all look perfect so no one knows except you will now what went into it.
    My friend decided to paint his 70 Ford Econoline van but it had some good rust outs. I mabe patch panels and we had a welder friend weld them in. When we were done with the body work the mud over the patches was paper thin and he painted the van himself to perfection. He was having coffee with a bunch of buddies and was telling them all the patch work we did. One of them said bullshit & did not believe we did the work ourselves. My friend was mad. I told him that it was a compliment that they could not see any of our work & his paint was amazing. It was his time first painting a vehicle but he had done some industrial painting. My friends brother had the same van and wanted a makeover so we did it to. The irony is that there is a satisfaction in that your work will be so good that know one know or appreciate the effort.

Stogy and clem like this.
  5. clem

clem

^^^^^ well said......( I am currently working through the same thing on my house.......15 years old now , and not as well built as I thought when we bought it at 2 years old........).

Stogy likes this.
  6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

they will also sell a assembled floor or other stuff assembled or not , unless you yourself bought that body from brookville it’s kinda unfair to drag their name through the mud on the internet, based on speculation I have never seen anything come from them that looks that rough , frankly I believe someone assembled it themselves , technically it would still be a brookville body and that’s what they sold it as to unsuspecting you

dirt t, Cyclone Kevin, Carter and 3 others like this.
  7. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

I AGREE !!
    Ive bought brookville.
    I hope no one slanders YOU , like you have them. Damn shame.

8. Years ago I built an OT muscle car with OE parts. NOS qtrs, doors, hood, valances.
    The original stuff fit better than aftermarket but worse than I think most of us expect.
    Another thing to consider on fitment is how much stress was needed or engineered into the part to fit. For decades Mercedes qtrs had to be “stressed” to fit. We had an OE fixture that pushed outward on the qtr for alignment during the installation.
    Another issue, especially early Fords, is the fact that both sides are not symmetrical. A pattern from one side usually doesn’t fit the other side.
    So I guess the guys at brookville did the best they could with copying an imperfect body.
    I have assembled bodies from them, they need stress in places for pieces to line up
    The pieces were not just simply thrown together.
    The pics from this particular body in question look like an amateur attempt. Pieces cut and corners welded on in an attempt to fit pieces they were not familiar with.
    I have installed a brookville deck on an original body. Just like the NOS parts I have used, the deck needed tweaked to fit.
    We also expect perfect gaps from a car that was engineered with flawed gaps. We build hot rods from the cheapest US cars made and expect them to fit like a new car today.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  9. I have to chime in.. I picked up my 30-31 roadster body from Kenny at Brookville September 2020. Those guys knocked it out of the park. The doors latch nice. Fitment and gaps are good. The guys that assemble the bodies are very skilled. Some of us can't find decent original bodies or afford to fix a pile of rust, so Brookville being an American made body is as close to the real thing as some of us can get. I hope to buy a 28-29 roadster pickup from them in the future. Now, these bodies are raw, and need some body work on the quarters and metal prep before paint. Brookville makes a very nice alternative to the real thing, but it's up to you the enthusiast to make her pretty. None of the welds on my body look like the one in question. The folks at Brookville helped me make my dream come true.

A Boner, m.ralph, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sorry...military for area of operation.
    "LT, UNASS MY A/O!"

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

5window likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two or three years ago there were comments made in some group that I frequent on the net on the idea that you could save a ton of money buying the panels from Brookville and assembling the body yourself. I'd say that body was done by someone with poor welding skills who bought into that idea.

Stogy and 30tudor like this.
  13. I bought a Brockville body assembled on a rolling chassis. None of the issues that the original poster has. Only issue is floorboard. It was no installed properly the first time. I’m in process of cleaning that up. Don’t think Brookville did 5he floor install.

Stogy likes this.
  14. 5window

5window

I get your point, but, technically this is as the OP stated-a 1932 Brookville body. Maybe not assembled by Brookville, or anybody competent, but still all made by Brookville.If I were Brookville, I'd have some way to identify which bodies were assembled in house and which panels or kits were sold as pieces. That would quickly exclude the wheat from the chaff and clear up responsibility issues.

15. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I have a brookville 32 body , and there’s some ugly welds for sure, and just plain awful door gaps. the door openings are not large enough to have correct gaps but yours probably didn’t leave there like that, they would have finished the welds on the door posts .

Stogy likes this.
  16. Mike

Mike

The problem areas in your pictures appear to have been altered / modified (heavy grinder marks, poorly dressed edges, misshaped holes, etc.) . As you said, you bought this as a complete car, who knows what kind of nonsense the previous owner subjected it to.

A few weeks ago, I helped a friend load a brand new Brookville '32 roadster body on a trailer. I didn't see anything on that body that looks like the pictures you have posted.

Stogy and Beanscoot like this.
  17. m.ralph

m.ralph

I think what you have is an unassembled body that I see advertised on Ebay all the time. I just pull an ad on Ebay for an unassemblied roadster listed at $9525. versus an assembled one for $11,500, almost saving $2000. But a person needs the skill to weld it together. If a person that just bought a welder and tried to weld it together, this could be what happened here. I've built around 10 Brookville Roadster bodies and have never seen welding like this on any of them. Good luck with it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  18. Grant Clemens

Grant Clemens
    from Montana

These comments about Brookville bodies are very informative and interesting. I've taken a good look at a couple of new Brookfield bodies and they are very nice. I own an original 1930 Roadster and I noticed that the new bodies don't have the same definition around the trunk moldings. They aren't stamped as deep and defined as well as the original.

Attached Files:

nunattax likes this.
  19. golferforpar

golferforpar
    from Wisc

It would be interesting if the body in question has a serial number.
    Brookville does stamp a serial number on bodies they assembl in house.
    Star
    position numbers 1-6, 2 digit month, day, year assembled
    position numbers 7-10, sequential body serial number by body style
    position numbers 11-12, 2 letter code designating body style
    Star
    Partial bodies or complete knock-down bodies were not stamped
    by Brookvill

lucky ink and Kiwi 4d like this.
  20. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OP, where did you buy the body from?

21. m.ralph

m.ralph

Here's what he stated:
    According to a previous post he made a few months ago he bought the rolling '32 roadster project(?) from Stokers Hot Rods in Upland,CA.Maybe they were brokering the car for someone since they consign cars.