Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods retirement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Dec 3, 2021.

1. primed34

primed34

Good for you!

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Not so much what you retire from, it’s about what you retire to. Enjoy!:D

clem, 41 GMC K-18 and Slow down like this.
  3. Good going. I was with one place for almost 39 years. I worked in 4 facilities, started in the machine shop in 1981 for $5.75 an hour. I still have most of my old pay stubs from the shop years. The name changed on the sign out front about 12 times. Internally I had moved 19 times, I kept count.

You will have a lot less stress, that's for sure. Have fun!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Enjoy retirement! Stay healthy! Do the stuff on your bucket list ASAP so your health doesn’t derail those dreams. Some days I get up with nothing to do and by bedtime it’s only half done!

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

East of Omaha. Go down I-29 and go east on H-way 34 past Glenwood. The Cafe has been torn down. Storage units are sitting on the property now. A good road trip in your retirement.

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. CruZer

CruZer

Congratulations ! I met my friend Ridge Runner when I posted my retirement on here many years ago. We've been friends and had many adventures since then. I hope you have a long,healthy and happy retirement. You earned it !

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Congratulations and welcome to the retired club. I've been retired for almost 13 years and I finally got around to a project that I had sitting in my garage for 30+ years.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  8. CruZer

CruZer

Too true. Tequila has become my drink of choice.

9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Just a msg. I had always tried to avoid stress. The plant had some leadership rolls open. usually goes to folks with degrees. I barley made it out of high school. Job was posted, i was walking out of plant one day said what the heck. I'll apply . Had no idea. 7 years later stress was terrible in todays culture. Wont go into details, just felt like the stress was going to kill me. Monday Morning, I ll see how i feel. I THINK its gonna be ok!! I have plenty of projects, one of those is my high school car 56 2dht. it is now rough. I will drive that car again.Stay tuned. the other is a very rough 32 3w. I don't know all i need to know about early ford stuff. what will fit what. Don't need to buy a lot of stuff i don't need. I'll be asking lots of questions. Be patient!!!:D:D

10. Congratulations. I retired 25 years ago, when too young to retire; but the job stress made it an easy decision. Getting away from job stress will add years to your life. After retiring, I had 20 busy years before I felt mostly retired, and I am still busy at 75 just with a lot less energy than I had at 70. Throwing off the stress will give you a lot more energy; you might work 80 hours a week and still not feel tired.

11. Mine is either a good rye shine or peach. Just sippin drinkin not guzzling but just enough to relax and warm the innards.;)

210superair and oldsjoe like this.
  12. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Retirement: Highly recommended! (and single malt scotch)

13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Congratulations!! Well deserved and earned. It's been just about one week for me. Loving every second of it so far. A friend and I already took a road trip to pick up this little jewel. IMG_4102.jpg IMG_4101.jpg

14. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

Congratulations
    I do not know how I got anything done when I worked. I have been retired a little over
    a year and I have not gotten to any of my projects. Maybe I need a job for time management.
    Just like Hemiman I too worked for AA for 32yrs. Also spent several years working for TWU (union)
    good luck

15. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy every day.... 2-2-2022 will be 2yr for me.

16. outagas1961

outagas1961

been working steady since i was 15 (im 60 now) just retired in april after 31 yrs as a union carpenter. i can say that i highly recommend retirement , but it is easy to slip into laziness so plan a way to keep busy. congrats on yours

17. Congratulations, Bruce! I'll be retired six years at the end of this coming February. The first six months of retirement I went after everything I'd put off as hard as I could, then throttled back after a few unfortunate episodes drew me back from my euphoria, but all along I've been chipping away at my hotrod. Then nearly two years ago I had a very scary health threat that I can now say is totally behind me. I'm celebrating by going hammer and tong back on the hotrod, and got great news today that my machinist is done with the 351W short block (bored, crank turned, balanced and ready for pick up and assembly). I'll pick it up in the next few days and finish assembly this winter - after the latest setback, hernia surgery scheduled just before Christmas.
    GO for it, man! Get a build thread started and we'll root you on, whatever you're wrenching on in your garage.

charleyw, chryslerfan55 and oldsjoe like this.
  18. beegator

beegator

Congratulations on your retirement. I FINALLY retired in 2016 :D. I started working in medical and veterinary research labs at the University of Florida in 1975 ugh. Saw things most people should never have to see in a lifetime :(. I learned on day one, working in veterinary research would be graphic. I also learned I had to put my big girl panties on if I wanted to work in research. Now I enjoy each day in peace. :)

chryslerfan55, hfh, lemondana and 3 others like this.
  19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Now you can get the 56 off the trailer and get after it. I retired in June. Have been living the dream building a Willys / Prefect /Opel Kadet/ and the 57 210 I bought when you bought my 56. After 33 1/4 years It seemed to be the right time.
    The irony - They have offered an unbelievable amount ( way more than what I made before ) for me to come back AND ( keep my retirement/ insurance / benefits etc as it is now ) and that's only from Jan to May. Ill probably do it - but not past May. I am still/ and will be officially retired- this is kinda like a going away gig. At their expense.
    I understand the stress / and other issues- live while your health is still well enough to enjoy it.Build all you can while you can before they make that illegal too Lol.

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Welcome to the club, now git off my damn lawn

Slow down and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  21. cfmvw

cfmvw

I still have 7+ years to go, but my bs threshold is pretty low these days...

fauj likes this.
  22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I still have 7+ years to go, but my bs threshold is pretty low these days...

Yeah that played a part also................................

23. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just need to work with Millennials that dont work Fr, Sa and start in morning at 8:30, because they like to excercise in morning, ... I explained gym is open at 5am.... customers.. not their problem.

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

One thing I have always had was the ability to sleep anytime, anywhere. The floor of the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, on top of a surfboard on the beach, on a redwood backyard table or benches, there was nowhere I could not sleep. The sedan delivery parked on the Highway 1 at Rincon, Santa Barbara with all of the cars screaming by, after a rousing morning of surf/paddle out/surf, by lunch, was tiring, but someone had to do it.
    upload_2021-12-16_4-13-16.png
    So, the hard surface of the rear sedan delivery floor was as comfy as a down feather bed. Noise, stiffness or people walking by could disturb this tired, sleepy teenager. Teenage activity was always tiring without inclination to slow down. It just happened, sitting reading a magazine and then the plop of the magazine on my face, then I was out. Watching the waves coming in and the next thing, I was on the floor of the rear of the sedan delivery. It was a good thing I was not sitting on the big boulders along the beach.

One day my mom told me that after coming home from surfing and having a big lunch, I had slept from 2 pm, through dinner, the normal nighttime hours and woke up at 9 am one summer day. Luckily, my parents went out that night after dinner and I had no idea where I was when I woke up. That is called deep sleep. But, it started as a short nap.

So, when retirement came along, we vowed to be the best grandparents available 24 hours of the day for our infant granddaughter. It was the most fun we both had in our grown up lives. A granddaughter brings a different outlook to the family and future activities.

Jnaki

One thing that was renewed was the ability to take a nap during the time our granddaughter slept. At first, it was twice a day, then as she got older, it was once. Finally, as she outgrew taking naps, it hit home like a ton of bricks. What? Where was that quiet solitude and rest?
    Now, it was constant on the go, until my wife figured out one of us could take a short nap while the other was playing or going for a walk with our rambunctious granddaughter. Wonderful idea...

But, it was all worth it as being retired. We are as active as possible and have been supporting our granddaughter from birth to being a 16 year old teenager. Another life that gave us a different reason and outlook for our family. Being retired… the slogan is “what else were/are we doing?” Plus, we get to drive daily, wherever we want to go for a short break from the craziness, these days.

Enjoy your retirement and stay healthy. You are getting paid to do nothing… which we all deserve at one time or another. YRMV

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and hfh like this.
  25. Congratulations from here in South Alabama

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Congratulations! You'll really wonder where the days and years went to now! I retired 11 years ago, and it feels like maybe 2-3 years since I did so! The time just flies by, and I'm busier than I was when I worked full time!

27. Slopok

Slopok

Didn't anyone tell you the problem with retirement??? o_O
    There are NO DAYS OFF!!! :cool:
    Enjoy

chryslerfan55 and i.rant like this.
  28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Congratulations!

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Congrats!!!!!! What was that Johnny Cash song? "Ony" Hey Ony!!! LOL.

30. Congrat's on your Retirement & have a lot of FUN & Live.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool