Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What heater is in YOUR hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Here you go. A Rodders Digest how to from Lane Anderson along with a list of NAPA part numbers

Attached Files:

2. I bought a vintage air/heat unit and really didn't plan on using the air but since it was there I hooked it up also.

I drove my old beater for almost 30 years without heat and I drove my car year round, I got to admit heat and aid feels pretty good on these old bones, I do dislike the look of the plumbing under the hood so I just leave it closed. HRP

Elcohaulic and lostone like this.
  3. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

In my '42 Ford I put in one like the one TomT has. In my Model A I put in a "Zesto" heater from the Jurassic period. (Thanks, Roger F.) Try to find one of those some time. :) For running a 6 volt fan on 12 volts I use a Mopar ignition resistor. It has 2 resistors in one ceramic little block. One side of the thing resists too much. The other runs the fan a little faster than at 6 volts but I haven't had any problems with it.

5window likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I managed to cram a Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum AC/heat unit under the dash of my '60 Falcon.

Not sure what is going to go in the Model A. That will depend on what space is left over.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Vintage Air for my 66 Suburban, seat heaters in the bucket seats in my roadster.

Lil32 likes this.
  6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Right now the only heat I have is through the hole in the floor I cut to put the 4 speed through. Once warmed up there is a decent amount. Once I finish the interior there will be none.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

A number of years ago I picked up a vintage NOS heater for my ‘42 FARGO. Not sure if it’s Mopar or not but it is interesting. Exhaust gasses heats up a little chamber with air which then enters the cabin. Don’t think I described it as well as I should but it will be great when I actually install it...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  8. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

DSCF2762.JPG
    This Tropic Aire heater was in my truck cab when I got it. The core was junk so I made one out of copper tubes and aluminum flashing material. I used a 12 volt computer fan and it works pretty good. I think it would get pretty toasty in there if I had door glass.

Gary

kadillackid, Elcohaulic and jim snow like this.
  9. speedshifter

speedshifter

Cab heater in Massey grain combine works great. It's 12volt, a square box aprox 7' x 7" x 7" I have installed them in 2 hot rods. I covered one with stainless steel sheeting which I engine turned. They are usually in good shape as they are only used a couple weeks a year. Greg White

10. in the 33 I have an uninsulated firewall, lol. Great for winter and terrible in the summer.

11. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

The original, had it cooked and cleaned by a radiator shop in Lampasas, Tx. I still use the original switch that lights up when turned on. Heats and defrosts like it did when it was new!!! IMG_0988[2312].jpg

kadillackid, jim snow and hotdamn like this.
  12. Blake 27

Blake 27

DSC067781 (2).JPG Arvin heater with a 7" Spal fan and a two speed Ron Francis switch.

13. hotdamn

hotdamn

I daily drive my 32 year round plus I travel in it up to 8 hrs one way to see family and I’m tired of freezing my ass off

14. hotdamn

hotdamn

I’ve got an Arvin like that one, I also found a Hadee’s in a buddys stash last night, I think I may send that one out to the chromer this afternoon to get a freshen up!!!

thanks for sharing guys!!

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A heater would be nice, but I'm already cramped for space, and not sure where it would even fit?

16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Nice 7 year old revival on the thread, anyone using an off the shelf, current production heater/defroster?
    Looking for something for a 1952 Pontiac Catalina build. all the original was gone when I got it, to make room for a 350 and power disk brakes :cool:

17. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I know this an old thread but some of buddies some heated seat kits. They're about 50 bucks or so.[​IMG]

'28phonebooth likes this.
  18. jim snow

jim snow

Bought here in the parts for sale. Repaired the core. Upgraded to a 12 volt fan. Heat and defrost. Works the cat’s pajamas. Snowman ⛄️ 3E0F99F0-B5DC-4BA2-8AB6-37C81EEE350E.jpeg CCADB7C1-030A-4008-A4E9-7317B72FB160.jpeg

kadillackid likes this.
  19. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A gas Tropic Aire converted to electric. Vintage look and functions without the problems of plumbing gasoline into the passenger compartment.

20. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

The factory option under seat heater works quite well to heat the cabin- a smaller heater core with separate fan would work for defrost?

21. atch

atch

They aren't that hard to make and you can make whatever size fits your car/seat.

PhilA likes this.
  22. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

s-l300 (1).jpg
    That's what's under the chair- it's about 8x12". The original honeycomb matrix isn't bad but there are significantly more efficient ones available now- the duct to introduce air to it is 6" round and can shift a lot of air though. I run the original 6V fan at 12V and while effective, doesn't allow enough time for the air to be heated hot enough you want to move your hand away, however that volume of air is mighty effective at clearing the screen.

20210213_104032.jpg
    It did however meet independent adjudicator approval- the dog didn't want to get out of the car because it was warm...!

I would suggest the original fan unit, as that has takeoffs for the floor and screen and the floor duct is selectable on/off up under the wheel well, even with the defrost unit missing. The defrost unit has a flap in to control air to the screen which you'd be missing. Run the smaller pipe up into the cabin and put it through a heater matrix under the dash to the defrost and select that with a flap in the pipe to it.

Phil

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  23. I also have a old fashion Smith & Wesson 38 as a additional heater. HRP

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my roadster, water heater converted to electric ceramic element. Heat and defrost.
    upload_2021-12-17_14-29-56.png

chevy57dude and PhilA like this.
  25. Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Elcohaulic and 51 mercules like this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just a headsup on seat heaters...........
    I'm sure nowadays most are made offshore, I'd recommend getting the good ones, some of the cheaper ones have been known to FAIL.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  27. The ones I posted are built for GM and are exactly what they use on the assembly line for exactly what DDDenny is saying.

51 mercules likes this.
  28. The heater in my F-100 is the factory original, still works.

chevy57dude and jim snow like this.
  29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

10ga. Floor and firewall, hood and hood sides. Works great in Nor Cali. winters. Haven’t found 05FB721F-FA93-4147-A9CA-76491F2FDD3C.jpeg the off button for summer yet.

30. THAT is a good looking co-pilot you've got there!

PhilA likes this.