Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Caldwell Corvette

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Caldwell Corvette

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No ideas on it’s whereabouts…but it sure is a low sleek lookn’ machine!

Stogy likes this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man... custom Corvettes are the bomb, Nobody has the nerve these days to build a car this cool.... I am glad it survived and did not get restored back to stock, It seems like I was recently looking at a magazine that had this car in it.... I better dig and see if I can find it

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Tim, Sancho, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  4. I vaguely remember seeing that car and thinking is he that tall or is the vette sectioned and lowered.

To me the moon disc look perfect. HRP

Stogy and Rolleiflex like this.

5. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

The car was at the new Corvette release Ryan attended...

Stogy likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I meant to say that I am glad it didn’t get restored to stock... ooops

Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here it is in the custom car 1960 Annual

5CE2D201-C7AF-4297-A0B5-251C0936226E.jpeg 19CFF4BD-7E92-4D9C-B7A8-6BC1BD8F9D93.jpeg

Tim, Sancho, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I am hating myself for not taking better mental notes... I was just experiencing sensory overload... I'm fairly certain its the car I saw, I just don't remember the fine details like I wish I could.

Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-15_8-53-28.png

Hello,

Our friends over at Kustomrama had a short article on this cool custom Corvette.
    upload_2021-12-15_8-55-46.png

It is a question of only showing a black and white photo. Perhaps some one associated with GM events can send a color shot over or at least know where the original car is located to have someone take a nice color photo.

Speaking of good photos, does anyone have access to Bud Lang’s portfolio of early photos from this time period? Back in 2020, his daughter was on the HAMB to tell us that Bud Lang passed away. She may have access to the color photos from the Bud Lang archives.

upload_2021-12-15_8-57-37.png photo by Bud Lang

Jnaki

One last effort would be for our resident expert @themoose to do one of his wonderful transformations for all of us to see this Corvette creation.

Attached Files:

10. silent rick

silent rick

looks like you need to pay a visit to the photoshop thread.

@themoose @madfish

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Stogy likes this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Probably... I can remember what's on page 23 of the November, 1955 issue of Hot Rod Magazine... but can't remember what I wrote about last month...

Just Gary, rod1, Tim and 6 others like this.
  13. That car is amazing !!!

like @Moriarity said no one would have the balls to do that to a vette now-a-days.

my buddy built a 63 split window a bunch of years ago, and like most vette restorations it quickly spiralled to date coded water pumps and wheel weights snd the “correct “ crayon marks on the suspension etc.

As soon as he finished the restoration he sold the car as he was to scared to own it let alone drive it for fear of anything happening to it.

completely silly if you ask me .

14. I'd take it over the "latest" Corvette.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Neat car, I really dig custom Corvettes in general, even the bad ones. Those Buick portholes down low would be cool as functional exhaust cutouts...

Stogy likes this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, so would I... and I say that after also saying the new Corvette is best driver's car made in probably two decades or more... It's flat out fantastic in every way when driven hard.

It also feels much better built than past Corvettes... It doesn't feel like a Chevrolet from a fit and finish standpoint.

Speaking of driver's cars... I've owned a '63 (sort of) and driven a ton of C2s... As far as pre-1965 American cars go, I don't know if there is a better driver. The brakes suck, obviously, as all brakes sucked back then... but they handle surprisingly well and in just about every trim, there is plenty of power.

The C2 really is remarkable...

I've only driven a C1 a few times and never hard enough to really judge them as a sports car.

17. Man you're speaking my language. I'd trade almost everything including a kid or two to get into a nice C2...

bowie, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've always dreamed of building a track car for the street out of a C2... '63 split window would be the coolest prolly... Imagine a super high-revving small block, a retired super t-10 out of a NASCAR, and then hide some serious stopping power behind some kidney beans... have to mount some Firestone bias tires for smoke effect... open pipes, low stance, etc... stripped down interior...

I could go on forever... Would have to be black.

072413_1b.jpg

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the rolling art you have shared today and that is not a surprise if not quite common...jeeze 1960 was a special year as that Vette and Stogy were hot off the press...:D

Sancho likes this.
  20. I'm in the middle of a 1/12 scale 67 stock build.... I might be changing directions on it now...

Stogy likes this.
  21. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan: I concur….but I may be biased, my tires definitely are! She ain’t black , but it’s got original solid lifters : 26C0BBC0-974E-4A69-BFF5-69F6F1930DE1.jpeg BCFE4C4E-25E1-4984-9E9C-6C57C9D0F47B.jpeg 017B15B3-DEB5-44D3-B782-B922B511A5E1.jpeg 714FDEBB-6519-4A3F-A22C-831F56D6DC12.jpeg

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man, I really hate that C1 C2 terminology, way too modern for me... My 61 is lowered with blocks in the back and cut springs up front, I am sure its handling does not compare to a lot of other cars , I drive it like I don't have a nickel in it, It is pretty damned fast and handles quite well for a car with 4 1/2" wide tires on it, sure makes me smile when I drive it. @Ryan when you build your mid year corvette give it six tail lights, adds 100 horsepower....
    october22.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Deuces, Richard D, Ebbspeed and 17 others like this.
  23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

God damn man... Yeah, that's a good one. I wish you were closer to me -- I'd love to shoot that car.

I've always thought that the wheels and pipes make your car. Course, the stance doesn't hurt...

Richard D, 57 Fargo, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  24. The kickstand pipes and stance do totally make it.

elgringo71, VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  25. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your ever going to be in my neck of the woods… drop me a line. She’s just a driver, that paint went on in 1986; definitely more for go , than show! You would have more fun banging it’s Hurst ; than clicking your Nikon! 9A54CC13-6CE7-423B-A7B1-DD7133E0CA09.jpeg

26. AmishMike

AmishMike

Nice custom but makes me sad. Sold my vette convert lady friend refused to ride in it. Said to loud, maybe the way I drove it part of the hate. She likes her 2017 t-top. Wonder what she will say when my modified is done

Stogy likes this.
  27. cabong

cabong

There were a lot of early Corvettes customized and raced. One of my favorites was one that did both, although not many people know that. Bob Moreira bought his '57 as a total back in 1959. It was an F.I. 4-spd, and not badly hurt. He bought it with intention of drag racing but got caught up with a couple of his pals into a tad of customizing. Bob McNulty and Gene Houck did the fiberglass work and paint. The scallops were added to coveer up runs in the candy paint. Interestingly, it didn't seem to be fast enough with the F.I., so Bob switched to a factory 2x4 setup, but that slowed it down. So he switched to the old standby, 3 strombergs. Now it was fast, and garnered many trophies in the Northern California area. It was on the cover of Motor Trend in May of 1959. It is worthy of note that the dog dishes are Edsel...
    The custom was sold, and ended up on a car lot in Los Altos, California, with a "story" attached to it. Seems it had been commissioned to be built as a prototype for the next years model. Even had names attached. Now, we all know that's a crock !!! The Vette was bought by a fellow who had Joe Wilhelm change it into a road racer, and it was actually raced a few times. The fellow who bought it was a starter for the Golden Gate Chapter of the SCCA. It was swapped for an airplane, then went into oblivion, and ended up in a wrecking yard in Montana. It was then bought and as far as I know, still sits, going back to Earth. I have pictures of it as a sports racer, and as yard art..... moreira corvette.jpg

28. I would leave my wife for that car !!!!

Like all of it , the snuggling , the sex, the pillow talk , I’d be the “ big spoon “ and snuggle it all night long !!!!! I’m , im talking about the car right now .

that thing hits all the right spots !!!!!!!

Stogy and Tman like this.
  29. Fake photoshop.
    People didn’t build em that low back in the day:)
    I’d love to ruin a vette just like that.
    mmmmmmm

30. Because of my size, I will never own a C1....I just don't fit..... they are a marvel to stare at. I'm restoring a 57 469C(270hp) for a guy, and it's the first thing I see in the shop each day.A real treat. Sex on wheels....and the few customs that exist are (mostly) even more striking. I love my 63, but the early cars are so charming....

Stogy likes this.