Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Omaha Coupe 33 3w 9" chop, built in 1954 Salt, Drag, and Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tdog, Feb 16, 2021.

1. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Any time Tom, never get far from the garage, hoping the flathead will ck. out okay however pulling the 355 Chevy out of my late brothers modified as a backup.....really hoping to stay with the ford power particularly since the V8 logo for the car number & the trusty flatheads were the backbone of the Burdick success...Ron

Stogy likes this.
  2. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Here is a short video from when arrived at TROG. Once we got her unloaded . We added a steering stabilizer we bought at NAPA in Philly on the way there, it is a Big one like off an F250. Put 3/8 toe in . And tightened the steering box . Up to this point I had only drove it around the block at home and it had a death wobble at 30 mph . The things we did after we unloaded in NJ fixed the wobble . I need to install new king pin bushings this winter . Take some toe in out of it . Hopefully ditch the stabilizer all together .

3. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Picked up the wife up at work in the Omaha Coupe. She loves riding it . Blessed to have a wife that shares the passion !

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loving the milestones in your adventure @tdog...thanks for sharing them and just loving the appearances of this Hotrod veteran back on the streets to continue where the rumble left off...Slots usually are referencing mag wheels but not in this case...it's windows here...:D

williebill, tdog and brady1929 like this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Awesome Hot Rod, great job!

Stogy and tdog like this.
  6. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Thanks Stogy, it’s an honor to be able to run the streets with it. That back window is a challenge to see out of .lol

Jet96 and Stogy like this.
  7. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

AHotRod, Thank you . I appreciate ya

Stogy likes this.
  8. elgringo71

elgringo71

Man o man, talking about a time machine

tdog and Stogy like this.
  9. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

I remember your coupe well after seeing it in the late 50’s hot rod magazines !
    It was really neat then but now it’s even better after the fabulous work by you and all that helped you !!!

Stogy likes this.
  10. I had the Burdick coupe for a short time. Not knowing it's local racing importance, I was going to put it back on the street but thankfully I was having a bad time trying to find sheet metal for it. Glad Ron got it and is bringing it back to it's racing condition.
    I have no idea who painted the #45 on the doors as Burdick's cars were all marked with the V/8 logo. ROCKYS32.jpg

Stogy, Tim, tdog and 2 others like this.
  11. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

How goes it Rocky ? Not wanting to muddy Tom's thread with my project & hope to post a thread on some of the build & history on the v-8 car at some point .....but will state that (3) 32's were built through the years each sharing the v-8 logo by Bud Burdick. The first was sold to Al Hayden & raced as # 6 until sold again years later & raced as # 45 & ultimately side lined for many years on a Bennington farm , floated around to South Omaha, Bellevue Ne., C.B. Ia. & as far as 200 miles north to Ida Grove Ia., Spencer Ia., & back to Bellevue Ne., & ultimately Papillion Ne. .....Sorry Tom for the off topic..... Ron

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    Stogy, kidcampbell71 and tdog like this.
  12. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Thank you Elgringo !

Stogy likes this.
  13. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Dang Rocky ! That’s a legendary car! Glad to hear it is being resurrected!

Stogy likes this.
  14. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Awesome history !!!! Hard to believe it survived after all those years on the roundy round tracks ! Nice to know it is at a great home

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

An early Olds engine is being built for the Omaha Coupe. local engine builder Tom Ross is helping me out . He is even allowing me to come into his shop and teaching me .blessed D9F5B82B-E544-44B3-A5DD-5E45EB0FE6C6.jpeg 8641736F-E099-430B-A009-AEE445610EB8.jpeg 5D0FB449-62EF-45D3-A32C-1DA6267082D9.jpeg

Jet96, williebill, Hamtown Al and 7 others like this.
  16. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

That shot of the old valve on top of the new valve shows the difference in size of new intake valve .

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

18. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

ThanksTim!

Stogy and Tim like this.
  19. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

C9AFEAFD-1B5C-4129-9E8F-9D43DD57E0B1.jpeg One of my favorites from TROG

Jigger, williebill, stanlow69 and 4 others like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good stuff

tdog and Stogy like this.
  21. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Appreciate ya Tim

Stogy likes this.
  22. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

B7A01ED6-263B-4EEA-A5EC-B4CB0B087FCF.jpeg BE276048-8837-4597-8404-1E1E5653E45C.jpeg Got her up Jack stands for winter work. Starting on firewall first . Then roll cage. Been looking at it trying to figure how I am going to build it. Has not come to me yet . Struggling a little on this one .

23. exterminator

exterminator

At least polish the chrome. LOL. :)

loudbang and tdog like this.
  24. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

TROG video is up . I evidently like the work phenomenal. Lol

25. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

found this the other day in case you hadnt seen it. My great aunt & uncle were Fern & Al Hadan. great memories of Sunset when I was a kid. used to hang out with their son Roger alot then, he's my 2nd cousin. my brother-in-law, who's a big bull shitter claims to have bought a 390 the Burdicks raced at Daytona. he said he had it in a 54 Ford but I doubt his truth in the matter. 20767951_1852620455054216_7087568413502856555_n.jpg

Stogy, loudbang, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  26. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks, 911steve, Glad to make the connection but I'll need to apologize to Tom again having overstayed my own off topic rant, I'll blame it on Rocky with his early on posting of it when renumbered as 45 .... Tom's 33 more than deserves all the space the hamb allows considering how far it's come in short order not to mention trekking East & West & back again.... I do have an original race program with that very photo on the cover & it was rather ironic that I had this afternoon finally got it posted as my avatar, by the way did speak with Roger sr./ jr. both this past fall.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Jigger, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Man that is a great photo !!! My dad showed me the old Bud Burdick garage . If those walls could talk !!!! At one time someone thought that the old stock car race engine that my dad bought back in 1998 may have been one of buds old race mills?who knows ????

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  28. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I've several stories with regards to rumored engines & can confirm the whereabouts of only one; at least a number of years ago & that was from Bud himself. contrary to most tales, he built his own flatheads with the use of brother Roy's machine equipment & expertise I'm sure. After all he ran those iron lungs from the late 40's until the mid 60's when the sanctioning body permitted the use of overheads. The mention of your dad's 1998 purchase may have originated with me via another interesting story regarding a foiled attempt to heist a 'hot' flatty....... a story for another day.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    tdog, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  29. Great coverage, really enjoyed the video. Looks like you were having a good time. The camera angle suggests you were getting beat, some of the time-need to work on traction in the sand. I hope it was as much fun as it looked.

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  30. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Legendary mills !!!! Love to hear that story . I hear we are neighbors. You welcome to the shop anytime!

Thor1 and Stogy like this.