Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1960 Chrysler Astrodome Dashboard and Instrument Cluster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucas doolin, Dec 14, 2021.

1. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Friend had been looking long and hard for a 1960 Chrysler "Astrodome" instrument cluster. Almost had a heart attack when he saw two hanging on my garage wall. We will work out a trade down the road but I wanted to ask the HAMB about a fair value as basis for the trade. He got the entire dash panel as removed from the vehicle with the dash mounted rear view mirror. Cluster instruments are nice but bezel could stand rechroming. Here's a picture. Hope y'all can help. Merry Christmas! (He doesn't know that it will be under his Christmas tree.) Thanks, Lucas
    [​IMG]

jimmy six, Tman, 41 GMC K-18 and 6 others like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oldest male child to work as an indentured servant for at least ten years. Must be able to mow lawns, paint, trim trees, etc.

fauj, Tman, 41 GMC K-18 and 7 others like this.
  3. cfmvw

cfmvw

That's not a dash, that's a work of art!

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Is that dash in the pic yours or just to show what you have ?

41 GMC K-18 likes this.

5. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

More if the electroluminescent (sp?) panel lighting works - The dash requires EDIT: AC (alternating current) voltage to make the the gauge faces light up. I think the power supply put out about 200 Volts, but don't have a reference at my fingertips. My grandparents has a New Yorker with this "Astrodome" dash, I drove it in the summer of 1962.

Russ

EDIT: A Google search says an AC (alternating current) voltage

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    41 GMC K-18, LAROKE and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Hellfish

Hellfish

How good of a friend? :)

fauj, Bob Lowry and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. Chrysler had some of the nicest dash boards and interiors going in the 50’s and 60’s

if I remember right the lighting in those used a transformer to switch it to high voltage AC ?! I think

41 GMC K-18 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

My error - AC voltage - edited my post above...

Google: "1960 chrysler astrodome power supply wiring diagram" for more info.

Russ

41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. 73RR

73RR

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  11. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

41rodderz, post: 14310562, member: 125555 "Is that dash in the pic yours or just to show what you have ?"
    I found the picture on the net. The dash my friend got is from a Newport. The dash I have left (very nice shape) is from a 300.
    As I explained, we will likely do some trading. It's complicated because I don't want to take advantage of a friend and especially when I have something he really, really wants.
    Appreciate your comments and particularly the technical info. Thinks he's looking to put it in a bullet nose Studebaker where it would look right at home.
    Totally agree Mopar had it going on back in the 60s. Hemi engines, fins and astrodome clusters. Unequalable.
    Thanks guys. Lucas

41 GMC K-18 and LAROKE like this.
  12. If he's a good friend, get an approximation from evilbay postings and deduct what his friendship is worth. In other words... Merry Christmas may not be out of the question.

VANDENPLAS, 41 GMC K-18 and X38 like this.
  13. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First of all, @lucas doolin, those MOPAR Astrodome , instrument cluster / dash's are magnificent works of art, its cool that you have two complete units.

Sure there is a monetary value for those, but in this particular case, I surmise that the money really isn't the issue here.

You have a very unique opportunity to box up that unit and get creative with some cool wrapping paper, and place it under your friends Christmas Tree.

Based upon the information listed in your profile, it would be cool to write out a few instructions in "LATIN" just to make the " GIFT " a bit more unique !

Because of the good friend factor, just seeing the surprise on his face, is far more valuable than any money, that the unit is worth! That is truly what friendship is all about, and the unit given as a Christmas present, makes it that much better, IMHO !

santa automotive.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  14. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

If he is a really good friend I would give it to him. It will come back in other ways if it already hasn't. I have a friend who had a cheap temp gauge on his shelf that he had used a bracket off of. I wanted a gauge to use temporarily on my truck. He offered it and I assumed it was free. Then he said what is it worth? I ended up having to buy it for a couple bucks less than it cost at the parts store, and to be honest, I was pissed. He is still a good friend but I remember it. Another good friend I have known since we were both 15- him and I give each other stuff (parts and help) and it is great. Of course that dash is probably pricy - but he knows that also and as a gift will be appreciated ( well unless he is a jerk).

15. papajohn

papajohn

Just tell him to pay you if/when he sells the car or dash. If he builds a "keeper" your pay will be watching his enjoyment of the dash.

'28phonebooth and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

That dash will be killer in a bullet-nose. Nuts, now I'm going to have to look for one... ;( .
    Marcus...

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If he plans on keeping the car. Give it to him. It is CHRISTmas time. I have a few close friends I do the same for. We swap a lot of parts and do each other favors all the time.

41 GMC K-18 and Moriarity like this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Those dashes remind me of Robbie the robot.:D

19. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

I went to a Demo Derby many years ago. There was one of these neat Chryslers in the Derby-what a shame! Anyhow after the Derby was over, the losers mostly left their cars there. The owner of the property was a junk dealer This old Chrysler was sitting there and we were checking it out and one of my friends said-that has one of those neat dashes in it. We went back later that night after dark-the owner had left the battery in it. The car actually started, and OH! that dash, it reminded me of the Enterprise on Star Trek. It was all intact and everything worked. I wish that I would have went back a got it.

41 GMC K-18 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Real good friend, I say gift it. If he's a more casual friend maybe he can give you a hand on a project down the road that goes a heck of a lot better with 2 sets of hands...

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  21. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

What would be the right thing to do? If it were me and it was my good friend, I would give it to him
    as a gift. It will come back in spades to you, not that that is why you should do it. If the situation was
    reversed, how would you feel if he gave it to you. You'll have that same good feeling inside you whether
    you are giving it or receiving it if you do. Merry Christmas to both of you!!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  22. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Where but on the HAMB can you find competent technical info, common sense advise, moral directives and friendly counsel? Thanks everybody. The dash went home with the friend's long time buddy and will find its way beneath the tree for Christmas. The recipient's wife wanted to pay for it, but the buddy and I decided to tell her "it's covered" and we'll catch up later. No cash will change hands and we work out a "talent" trade. Recipient is a "new friend" of recent standing and an old hand at customizing. I had no idea he was looking for a dash like that and he was blown away to see two in the same place. I acquired them maybe 20 years ago because I thought they looked cool but I had no idea about the electroluminescent feature. So, it all worked out great and I can provide the technical references to my "new" friend. I learned a lot too and started thinking about a 60-62 Mopar convertible with the astrodome dash, big fins and a 392 Hemi, although it seems the 300 series did not normally have the Hemi. Merry Christmas to everybody and a Christmas story for the HAMB. Lucas

23. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Those dashes are superb- so very space age, that electro-luminescent technology went on to be used in the Apollo space craft.

Phil

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  24. George

George