Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dennis Carpenter 39-40 Decklid damage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papa's 39 koop, Dec 14, 2021.

1. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

So we have started working on my Buddys 39 and I ordered a deck lid from Mac's Ford parts. They gave me a break on shipping charges. It was suppose to be in stock, this was on Oct 18th. So come to find out Mac's is part of Ecklers part group. Was on backorder according to them . So we finally received it at the shop Dec.10th. The deck lid box from Carpenters was packed inside the Eckler box . Apparently Carpenter just put a piece of bubble wrap in bottom to protect deck lid . Eckler did pack bunch of paper in their box. So we found the lid damaged So we spent the afternoon working the dent out of the deck lid. You would think for $1469.00 it would have been packed better. Waiting to hear back from Carpenters:mad::mad::mad: 20211210_083413.jpg 20211210_083911.jpg 20211210_083938.jpg 20211210_142939.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 5window

5window

Everyone knows a quarter in of bubble wrap is all you need. I even had wine glasses shipped that way. Sort of. Sorry you have issues and hope it works out. I can see
    one pushing responsibility onto the other, but DC has a better rep that Eckler's

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    Carter and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Yeah, that needs to be packed in expanding foam, all the way around.

seb fontana likes this.
  4. williebill

williebill

No chance of surviving intact that way. Packages are treated worse now that years ago, because of the increase in volume in mail order and internet sales. Carpenter and Ecklers know better than to send a piece that big and fragile that way. I'd raise hell over the packaging if I were you.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

You should not touch that til you get word back from the vendor. They will probably want to blame the shipper.

Desoto291Hemi and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Already got it fixed and put on the car. Took him couple of hours to get it straightened out and put on. After waiting 2 1/2 months for it he didn't want to wait on it. It should be on Carpenters for piss poor packing. .

7. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

im thinking thats a pricey part....packed better ....

8. In my dealings with Mac's (Ecklers), they will accept returns shipped on your dime. The blame will be put on the shipper. If it was insured for full value, there may be some compensation thru claims forms.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Box looks dropped and beat. Agreed they'll refer you back to the shipper for compensation. It was clearly not packed correctly so the shipper will bounce you back to Eckler.
    Shit service from all 3 company's!!!

10. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

I guess we were lucky there wasn't more damage to the deck lid than just the corner..Took about 3 hrs to get it hammered out..

jim snow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. ^^^
    Your post is an accurate assessment. I purchased 2 rear fenders for my 51 F1 this summer. One was attacked by a forklift. I may live long enough to get some money. I have several hours in repair also. We are at the mercy of freight people. If you make them angry, do you think this will get better? :) Very few items are packaged good enough to be beyond the normal shipping procedures. :)

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The problem I can see is the finger pointing between Mac's, Eckler, Carpenter and the shipping co. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

13. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Guess they ran out of bubble wrap in Taiwan that day lol:( 20211210_145008.jpg

14. Jones St.

Jones St.

The current state of the nation reflects the current work force.

15. 5window

5window

Doubt it. Made in Taiwan, packed with others and wrapped on a pallet. Eckler's repackaged it and set it to the OP. Looks like the problem is domestic repackaging for individual shipping.

16. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

It looks like they were using your package for target practice for the forklift driver. Even though you have it fixed and installed I would still give them Hell and hope you don't order anything more from them. Remind them of the breeding habits of their sister and maybe they will refund you some money.

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Evey body (most people) complains about shipping prices. This is what happens. I never complain, do it right the first time and the part will get there in one piece, undamaged.

harpo1313 likes this.
  18. So Carpenters did a crappy job of packing, and Mac's thought they were providing better protection by putting it inside their box. Was there damage to the Carpenters box before it was put inside the Mac's box? If so, that would indicate the damage occurred before Mac's got it, and they should have inspected it. If not, it happened between Mac's and you. That's four entities involved in one damage claim... that's a lot of potential finger pointing!
    Obviously the damage happened in one of the freight-handling phases, so how do you determine which leg of the journey caused the damage?? I would file a claim with the freight company that delivered it to you, AND raise hell with Mac's.
    Who's ultimately at fault? I'd say Carpenters... They ship enough stuff to know the perils of freight companies, and should package their products accordingly. To skimp on packaging is pretty poor business practice.
    I spent years in a management role with a company that shipped expensive, fragile products to customers around the world, and we learned almost from day one that freight companies could break a ball bearing, given the chance. We felt it was on us to provide the best possible packaging to overcome the package monkeys, and we put a lot of time, effort, testing and money into ensuring that our customers got product they could use as-is.
    The whole deal just sucks, and it REALLY sucks that two companies aren't ethical enough to provide their customers with quality product AND quality shipping. (providing quality product means it is quality when you get it, NOT when it leaves their door).
    Good luck with any claims you file, but at least bitch enough to Mac's to get their attention.

19. 5window

5window

I agree with going after the freight company and raising hell with Mac's, but I am not sure about carpenter's. Perhaps they packaged it with the intent of getting it to Mac's, then relying on Mac's to safely repackage it to get it to the customer. Two different levels of need.

20. SASROD

SASROD

I guess Carpenters or Mac's didn't win the "egg drop off the top of the school without breakin it" contest in science class.

X-cpe, williebill and 5window like this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Your claim should be against the freight company. Carpenter probably sent Mac's a full pallet then they broke it down to individual pieces. Was probably a kid that double boxed it, not knowing or caring what was in it. But even if it wasn't packed properly, the freight company didn't take care of the package while it was in their custody. Any time you receive a freight package you need to open it in the presence of the delivery driver and check for damage, especially if the container is damaged. Not inspecting is accepting delivery as is, damaged or not, making any claim harder to file. With the freight driver present as a witness, you have a better claim that it arrived damaged.

22. Clearly this item was drop-shipped. As the name suggests, some damage is to be expected if the shipped item is fragile :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Budget36 and Wanderlust like this.
  23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm amazed it got there in that good of shape. Lippy

24. oldolds

oldolds

I have been thru this before. If you paid for insurance. (A line on the invoice). You need to start the process with the trucking firm. If Mac's paid the insurance you need to tell them and they start the claim with the trucking company. If nobody paid any insurance, the trucking company may have some insurance. I think ICC regulations.

In my case it went to the trucking company insurance. They damaged a used late model Cadillac hood. It was $800 plus shipping. The insurance policy paid $.50/lb on used items. The hood weighed less than 100 lbs.
    I do not remember what it paid on new items.

My lawyer friend said it was the company that sold the hood to me was responsibility to make it good. All I had to do was go to their local court system and start the suit. That was over 500 miles away. No win either way.

5window likes this.
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

FYI. I have talked with the Fedex and UPS drivers as to why I am receiving so many damaged boxes, both replied due to extreme volume, the problem is at the transfer centers, belts are running faster than ever and boxes fly off and hit the floor. UPS drivers are much better when delivering a damaged box, will come to door or tag box what to do about the damage if nobody is home. Fedex drivers are terrible where I am as they throw the package down and run so they are not responsible for damaged box. USPS shipping has not been too bad, just takes forever now and even the mail system is screwed up in my area, letters coming /going 3-14 days now, I spoke with mail lady, same one for last 10 years, she does not know the what or why, she only can deliver what they get, many people have asked her about this problem. I will say Summit and Speedway are very good with this problem, email them a picture, they send you a new item as purchased with a shipping label for returning damaged part, then they deal with the shipper, with their volume, I'm sure they get better service than you or I. I have not used any commercial truck shipping for some years now, in the past it was pretty good, the few claims I had turned out for me, but it took some time to settle up, nothing happens fast in that arena IMO.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

How can you feel good about putting a new decklid made in Taiwan on a genuine 40 Ford.

27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Are there any USA made ones? Other than an original? Lippy

28. alchemy

alchemy

40 coupe decklids are hard to find, in any condition. I would do it if I didn't have an original one. Better than fiberglass.

Carter and Randall like this.
  29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Wo said building old cars is easy. Just finished a 40 Coupe for a customer.