Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Packard 115 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zzrodney, Dec 12, 2021.

1. zzrodney

zzrodney

Rescuing a body that I've known about for 40+ years in a friends barn, I will be bringing it back to life as a 60's style Gasser or Altered, depending on how strict your definition is. Resto purists often have a problem with hotrodding Packards but this one hasn't seen the light of day since the 60's when it was taken apart, frame is long gone. The body will get to me in April 2022 but in the meantime, I've rounded up a bunch of parts and started building the frame. Big block Chevy & Turbo 400 for power, P&J straight axle and 9" rearend. At this point the plan is to preserve the remains of its original paint, blend the various body parts to match, fix any rot, no body filler. It's missing the trunk lid so I'll need to create one - super hard to find a replacement. The crusty 1976 454 motorhome will get a thorough upgrade to make the appropriate amount of power. DSC01310.JPG DSC01308.JPG IMG_3404.JPG IMG_3406.JPG IMG_3429.JPG IMG_3447.JPG

2. zzrodney

zzrodney

Getting started on the frame construction, beginning with scribbling it out on the floor.. 2x4 main rails, temporary crossmembers in the middle & front

Attached Files:

3. j hansen

j hansen

Good looking car,,,,,,,,let`s see your version:) Skärmavbild 2021-12-13 kl. 19.31.54.png

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

5. zzrodney

zzrodney

This is the one I just finished, mild custom version, spot the changes... IMG_3547.JPG

rod1, abe lugo, treb11 and 30 others like this.
  6. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

Sweet, love Gassers!

Jessie J., loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

wish I would have bought this one

Attached Files:

8. I wanna say restore it.

But SCREW THAT !!!!! This thing will make one beautiful Hot rod !!!!!!

9. zzrodney

zzrodney

I remember seeing that one for sale, it's a 120 (5" longer wheelbase)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. zzrodney

zzrodney

Mounted the front axle, a Pete & Jakes unit - more expensive than a Speedway one but it is a very complete kit, with Ford style rod ends. Heim joints for tie rod and drag link ends won't pass a safety inspection to make it streetable in BC. Also built the front crossmember from 1/4" plate, it needs the beef as the entire front sheet metal and rad support mount to it. In the absence of the body for measurements, I have the identical car right here for reference. This one will be it's evil twin... IMG_3462.JPG IMG_3466.JPG

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Removed bumperettes, lowered, vent windows gone, wheelcover mods maybe...that's all I can see...nice cars...door hinge setup is interesting...you'd almost expect them to be suicide but no...nice job...

And you have 2...how cool is that...

chryslerfan55, loudbang and brady1929 like this.
  12. Looklng good

loudbang likes this.
  13. zzrodney

zzrodney

Lots of little mods - headlights lowered 3", bumpers lowered and tucked in, tail light pedestals removed, top chopped 1" in front, 2" in back, rear door posts leaned forward, top filled. Stock hinges were there and functional so I left them alone. Unseen is a full custom frame and SB Ford/AOD/9" diff. Actually, those are stock Packard smoothie wheel centers put into wider rims modified by Stockton Wheel, stock Packard hubcaps.

14. oj

oj

No 4 link suspension allowed in the gasser classes, ladderbar only.

15. zzrodney

zzrodney

No worries, it's a street machine. Not trying to toe the line of period 'correctness', just having fun building it my way.

16. choptop40

choptop40

awesome....make sure the stocker doesnt get jealous and sabatogie the project...

loudbang likes this.
  17. zzrodney

zzrodney

Right on! I knew there were more Packards hiding out there. Here's a pic of the last one I built a few years ago, 1936 120, chopped, sectioned, DSC00762 (2).JPG converted from 4dr. to 2dr.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2021
    rod1, shorrock, Chavezk21 and 39 others like this.
  18. AHotRod

AHotRod

Make a Hot Rod out of it and Rock n Roll 'ZZ'

A torch, cutoff and flapwheel are my best friends :)

loudbang likes this.
  19. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

The way it should be!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. That thing is screaming tail dragger.

WalkerMD, bowlingball and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

Bellos Customs chopped and taildragged a nice one

Jibs, Black_Sheep and WalkerMD like this.
  22. brady1929

brady1929

Conrats. That would be a great tail dragger.

WalkerMD likes this.
  23. zzrodney

zzrodney

Made the driveshaft loop with a drop out lower half to make it easier to take the driveshaft in/out. Set the diff in place, custom built 9" with Strange Nodular 3rd member, 4.88 Gears with Wavetrac posi and Dutchman 35 spline axles, GM disc brakes. Up front I got the steering box mounted with an adaptor plate 'cause the box wound up so close to the rear leaf mount. Naturally it's going to conflict with the engine mount position, not unexpected.... IMG_3460.JPG IMG_3463.JPG IMG_3461.JPG IMG_3472.JPG

24. loudbang

loudbang

That is a SERIOUS rear end :)

j hansen likes this.
  25. zzrodney

zzrodney

Added mounts for the coil overs, still waiting for them to show up, so I just made a couple temp struts for now. Panhard bar mounted - it may change yet - no so happy with the amount of side to side movement through suspension travel.... Waiting 'till the engine is mounted to find the right angle for the pinion before I weld the 4 link brackets to the housing.

IMG_3488.JPG IMG_3478.JPG IMG_3486.JPG

26. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

If it's going to be that tight, couldn't you use a Watts linkage instead of the Panhard rod? Looks like you'd be well within the linear range of one.

Phil

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. zzrodney

zzrodney

Yeah, that would solve the issue but it would work best behind the diff and that would conflict with the coil overs. I cut the whole works off and started over with a wishbone Panhard, used the adjuster from the other one and some new bushings for the fork ends - the center mount tube slides in and out and I put a zerk fitting on the underside. It also gives me more room to run exhaust up and over the housing. IMG_3551.JPG IMG_3557.JPG

28. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Given the confines of the space that should work nicely. Takes a little more of the torque reaction from the wheels away from the bars, too.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  29. zzrodney

zzrodney

Positioned the engine/trans, headers are for a tri 5 Chevy - nobody makes headers for a BBC in a Packard - go figure - they will need a bunch of cutting and redo to fit the fenders right.... As expected it will be fun to do the drivers side engine mount.

IMG_3500.JPG IMG_3502.JPG

30. zzrodney

zzrodney

Added more structure to the frame, mounted the trans and mounted the brake booster/pedal assy.

Attached Files: