Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Robert Stack Model-A Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Robert Stack Model-A Roadster

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I always knew Robert Stack was cool....but not that freakin cool!

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That photo has been around online for some time now. Funny the way his son describes his career, when I think of Robert Stack the first thing that comes to mind is the character Elliot Ness in the TV series The Untouchables.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Stogy, mctim64, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That's super cool! I grew up watching him on Unsolved Mysteries.

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and Hollywood-East like this.
  6. Like many of his era he was involved in a lot of cool stuff. Along with hot rods many of them were avid Sportsmen. Since Sodak is the Pheasant hunting Capitol of the world many celebs and dignitaries spent time here in the fall. I believe I have seen pics of Stack along with fmr Govenor and WW2 Ace Joe Foss out on a hunt

Here. 1962 Fall Pheasant opener. Joe Foss, General Jimmy Doolittle and Robert Stack. SDPTV has a good writeup on them but the firewall at work won't let me open it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  7. His voice on Unsolved Mysteries still gives me the chills, as it did when I was a child and the theme music would come on.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My fifteen minutes of fame came on the series... I was going to summer camp at Prude Ranch in Fort Davis, TX when they did a casting call for the whole camp. They needed three little kids to ride in the back of a model-a sedan for the story telling/reenactment portion of the show. I got picked.

The shoot took all day... maybe two? And we sat in the back of this god damned sedan in the middle of a west Texas summer for hours on end wearing 1930's clothes made of wool and other heavy shit. They would roll cameras, we'd drive down the highway at 20 mph for like 30 seconds... and then, they would reset and do it all over... again and again...

It was miserable.

When the show finally aired like a year later, the clips we were in amounted to less than 30-seconds... and the only thing anyone ever saw of me was the side of my face in the backseat as the camera focused on the driver up front.

It's a wonder I ever regained a love of old Fords...

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's the episode:

To further frustrate me 35 years later, it looks as though my scenes didn't make the cut of this... cut? I sort of remember this? Like they did a full episode on the lights, aired it once (maybe only in our region since we were close to Marfa?) and then did a shortened cut for the main episode?

I don't know... But I'm pissed all over again. Gonna call my moms and see if she remembers what the deal was.

I do remember that model T... I think it's still at Prude Ranch as lawn art... and the school teacher they interviewed was definitely one of our camp counselors...

Okie Pete, 40ragtopdown, rod1 and 7 others like this.
  10. @David Zivot is on here.

Post #11 on this thread is worth a follow up. This dude is a special guy on this platform. Too quiet .. though, I'd say. :cool:

"..this \/ \/ thread" :

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pre-war-electric-fuel-pumps.1140623/

EDIT : Also another interesting link, discussing the record setting four being acquired by David. Written in 2013, discussing a replica build. Obviously preceding the post above discussing acquiring the original body.

".. another interesting \/ \/ link" :

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Robert_Stack's_1931_Ford

Anyhoo', have a great day !!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan now you know your empire is getting too large when you don't recall EVERY single link to an article on your own website!:D

Stogy, WalkerMD, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- where all of the wild ones are tamed

Stogy and Sancho like this.
  13. "this one time, at band camp...."

14. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan - I was a junior counselor at the Prude Ranch back in the '80s. Mostly it involved taking care of the horses and leading the younger kids on trail rides a few times per day. Beautiful country out there in Fort Davis - my extended family still goes out there every year for July 4th.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I went to prude ranch from 1985 to 1989... You could have been one of the horse guys when I was there... I had two horses: Paint Brush and Dick. I remember them both being legendary for their temperaments and their barrel speed.

My oldest went to Prude Ranch as well... So I've been back recently. It hasn't changed AT ALL.

Stogy, NoSurf, Sancho and 1 other person like this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Also... "Burn, burn... Blood makes the grass grow..."

I was 3-bar by the way... Triangle bar sucks. :)

Outback, Stogy and NoSurf like this.
  17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I missed you by a couple of years - I was there for the summer of 1983 when I was 15.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Outback likes this.
  19. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

I always thought they were called “ Dude” ranches.....Mark

20. forteeseven

forteeseven

What a great story! He was such a talented man. I remember seeing him in a French film once. At first I thought it must have been dubbed, but the actor's voice was so much like Robert Stack's voice, I couldn't believe it. I then realized it really was Robert Stack speaking in French.

21. tywester1955

tywester1955
    from sc

That time period of racing is so fascinating. His roadster had some real craftsmanship behind it. Al Jepson intake. I wonder how many of these or other speed equipment were made by Al.

Attached Files:

Jet96, Okie Pete, Carter and 2 others like this.
  22. David Zivot

David Zivot

tywester1955~
    Get ahold of me, I can tell you about this Al Jepson intake manifold...

bowie likes this.
  23. us054382

us054382

Yea, Bob was a cool dude fer sure, but they sure wrecked a lot of old cars during the 'Untouchables' run. I watch it now and bum about the early tin carnage. Wonder if he had the inside track on cool cars during those years.