Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest HAMB guys near 4 Corners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klawockvet, Dec 12, 2021.

1. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lets just do it. May 14/15th. Should be good roadster weather. I'm a mile from Bubba's and we can meet there on Saturday morning at 8:00. We'll make a loop around 4 corners. When we get back that night we can have a Bar BQ at my place and I'll supply the beer for the first 10 guys to commit. PM me for details.

2. Lewis is just north of Cortez correct? I don't know about Wolf Creek in May in a 36 Chevy pickup with a 6 cylinder. I'd probably have to leave Evergreen on Thursday to get there by 8 on Saturday!! I'm keeping an open mind about this as it sounds fun. Mitch

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Do you know how much beer I drink? :rolleyes:

Bones

4. WV, now we got some town names. Rock Lick, has a bar, Viola, has chain saw fights, Murder, self explanatory, Pleasant Valley, sits on a hill top, Sincere, not really, Wheeling, get the feeling, Moundsville, for the Indian mound. Does Mound Mn. have a mound?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  5. Sounds good! I am up for that.

Ben

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has anyone claimed the trailer yet?I could use it.I have a buddy down there who could pick it up.Thanks.Let me know on the BBq thing too.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somewhere in my boxes of photos there are a couple of photos from when my dad and I went a bit off the beaten path on the way from Central Texas to Bonneville in 1988 and stopped there for a couple of minutes. No charge that day though.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wolf Creek shouldn't be a problem in Mid May, as long as you don't drive like Earl and end up in the feed store in downtown Pagosa Springs.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    alanp561 likes this.
  9. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ain't the feed store now a Wal Mart?

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

For marketing purposes, Farmington NM and Durango CO are considered as part of the Four Corners. Cabinet maker in Lewis did our Telluride place.

11. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

If I could make it over Wolf Creek in a beat up old '46 Buick with street tires on 4 inches of ice, you can make it too. Let us know if an event is put together.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, here's what I'm going to do. During the next couple of months I will check out the roads to make a loop through the four states basically on back roads that are paved. I'm tentatively thinking about a 150 mile loop that would go through all four states and would include opportunity to stop at some of the pueblo ruins at Hovenweep National Monument, the trading post at Teec Nos Pos, and back to Lewis through Cortez. We could do that on Saturday and then anyone wanting to visit Mesa Verde can do that on Sunday. It could be a good weekend. I'll work out the details and come up with a plan over the next couple of months. Sometime around the middle of February I will put up a new thread with the information I come up with. When I create that thread I will put a link onto this one.

13. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

If you're planning on May it might be a good idea to make it toward the end of the month. Some really bad up slope storms can come through in April and the first half of May. I don't think snow on the pass would be a good idea. :eek:

14. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is no doubt that weather is unpredictable in the western US, but May is normally an excellent time to visit Montezuma County Colorado and the Four Corners area. Cortez holds its annual car show in early April every year so I'm continuing to plan on the mid May date.

WalkerMD likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Mound, Mn was also named for Indian burial mounds, also is famous for Tonka toys being built here from 1947 thru the early eighties

16. I thought so as Moundsville is named for the big Adena Indian mound I believe one of the highest. Then you have the Snake or serpent mound I think in Ohio.

Moriarity likes this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was free years ago.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live in Fountain Valley. A CS fountain in front of city hall, 3rd one since I bought in 1971.. No Valley. Was known as Gospel Swamp in the 40’s from evangelist preaching in tents. In the 50’s known as the Town of Talbert. Founding farmer and street named for him. I have no f**king idea where Fountain Valley came from in 1957.

19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The room I'm sitting in right now has "4 CORNERS"...but no Native Americans...and no $5 fee;)

20. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Mitch is right about May and snow in Colorado. Have seen some of the heaviest snow storms in May and some of the counties require 4x4 or chains to drive in the mountains now. I believe the fine is like 1500 dollars if you block traffic

21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C'mon man, the earth is shifting on it's axis. And no, when it tips over so far, we're not all going to fall off in nothingness;)

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, but you drink that light weight stuff.:)

Boneyard51 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You forgot Rabbit Hash.;)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good Grief Charlie Brown. This ain't the GNRS or Bonniville. Its a small town redneck gathering of hot rodders and hoodlums who want to drive their cars instead of having people look at them. Colorado has passes that would require you to have oxygen to fly an airplane over them. Weather can always be a problem but the probability is that it will be a lovely spring day. When we get to the time when a weather report indicates we might die then we will make a new plan. I'm going to forge ahead and worry about the more important things like what might happen if all the beer factories go on strike because the workers won't wear masks. Now that would be a real deal breaker.

25. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All this talk about weird town names brings to mind one of my other ideas back when I was younger. How about a rod run from French Lick, Indiana to Intercourse, Pensylvania and ending up in Climax, Colorado. That might excite some of you young bucks.

See what happens when my wife keeps bringing me alcohol and doesn't shut the internet off.

26. rusty valley

rusty valley

Well, we're havin so much fun here, I'll go a little off coarse , I live in San Fransisco MN. We were founded by a survivor of the Donner party, who got tired of being heckled for being a cannibal, so he took his gold money and came here to start a town. I try to be a bit of a savage myself, to keep the reputation goin

hotrodjack33 and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

C. W. McCall is from Audubon Iowa. Home of Albert the Bull. He`s in my avatar to the left.

Boneyard51 and rusty valley like this.
  28. spanners

spanners

What was the original question?

rusty valley, alanp561 and Budget36 like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

30. Budget36

Budget36

I just saw a Tonka truck in the bin for “Toys for Tots” at work, it was metal!