Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Drag Racing Trophies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Throughout the year, Bill and I scour garage sales, thrift shops and eBay, for cool vintage drag racing trophies. At our annual Florida Dragstrip Riot, we give away these gems, that have been updated with a modern plaque (original kept in place) and custom pinstriping/paint. (By talented local artist Mike Ayers) It's been part of our reputation to give away these awards, that were previously collecting dust in someone's attic or basement. some are cool pieces of pop art.
    Any-Who...I am amazed, during my search, at how many tracks, there were scattered across the country. Currently bidding on a bitchin' MCM example from Kaw Valley Raceway, Topeka Kansas. Never heard of this place. Nor this track, listed on this killer 1956 trophy, from Powell Dragstrip, in central Ohio(and I'm a native Clevelander, that grew up, knowledgeable about local strips)
    So, with the prices steadily increasing, are you guys hoarding them, tossing them, or just don't care???
    every year it gets more difficult to score enough to get the job done.
    JT.
    s-l1600.jpg

Offset, Stogy, jnaki and 3 others like this.
  2. I do the same with trophies from the late 50's early 60's I've been given..........

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I guess I can understand what you are doing. But how can you improve the looks of a trophy such as the one you posted. I do have a few. They are hard to find, and some people want a good amount for them. I`m not hoarding them. I am saving them, or they would have been tossed in the garbage. Maybe after someone see`s my collection. They will start one of their own. Say yoour dad raced at Powel Drag Strip. Here, have a trophy.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Trust me, after Pinstriper Mikey is done with them, they take on a whole new look. Really brightens up the image 3E0B0A9D-C29A-4588-97C4-4E08176B92B3.jpeg 55B96434-2D93-4857-BB0B-19D4BF521A70.jpeg

stillrunners, Stogy, WalkerMD and 3 others like this.

5. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I've kept the few that I've won. I won this in C/A in late 1950s. This was NJ. Track was gone by late 1960s.
    20211213_102632.jpg

6. Hey Frank, one more that I’ve never heard of. I see you’re over in Melbourne. Ever been to any of our events in Orlando?? (Misfires CC Groundhog Gala)
    You know Gene Houck over there??
    JT
    Misfires car club

loudbang likes this.
  7. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Been to Misfires. Went to Orlando a month ago with George Alter. Met some guys and went to car museum in a mall. I usually hear about Orlando events from friends here. When is next Orlando event? Gene Houck name not familiar.

loudbang likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-14_3-59-46.png
    Lion's Dragstrip trophies from 1958-60

Hello,

The trophies from our early exploits from Lion’s Dragstrip were piling up and what was left after my brother took his share when he moved out of our house were put on a long bookshelf. It was my responsibility to keep that shelf clean and dust free.

As soon as I picked up the trophies to clean, it instantly brought back those hard fought races at Lion’s Dragstrip. But, as anyone can see, the largest trophy was not one of ours from drag racing.

It was from our dad winning the "largest trout" caught during one year’s opening day at Crowley Lake near Mammoth Mountain Lakes and Ski Resort in California. He was certainly proud of that big trophy, despite the freezing weather in late April, opening day.

Jnaki

Sorry, but when my wife and I had to clean out the old house upon the presale agreement, we looked at those trophies and wondered where we would store them. Luckily, a neighbor happened to drop by and we gave him all of those drag racing trophies and it included the huge one of our dad’s fishing prize.

These days, if the same scenario were to happen, those trophies would be saved. But, no one in our immediate family would want them, so, they would just take up space in the garage attic. At the time, the sadness of leaving our Westside of Long Beach home since 1953 was disheartening and we did walk away from our backyard garage with a cleaned up interior space.

But, up in the exposed rafters, we left our dual quad pair of chrome scavenger pipes from the 1958 Impala days, sitting up there. Our small station wagon was loaded up and the weight of those scavenger pipes on top would have crushed the surfboard racks.

So, a friendly adios and surprise to the new owner of our 2nd and last, Westside of Long Beach house.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@jakespeed63 that original posted trophy is quite a beauty...post up the redo if and when it happens...

loudbang likes this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang