Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pricing Advice on Parts Lot I'm Selling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Dec 12, 2021.

?
  1. High?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Low?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Reasonable?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

I'm getting out of the hotrodding/antique car hobby and am selling the last of what I collected since roughly 2008 or 2009. What I have left are parts I collected for building a Model A speedster based on thr Model A frame and Model A Roadster Cowl I have.

I posted the collection of parts for sale and just wanted to see if my asking price was reasonable. If this type of post isn't permitted, please forgive me, I've been a longtime member and don't want to run afoul of the rules, but haven't kept my hand in the game to keep up with prices.

If I'm off or something, I'd appreciate constructive criticism. You won't hurt my feelings at all. Please see my ad below and I appreciate advice/insight. Thank you.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...peedster-parts-lot-av8-and-4cyl-trog.1250204/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Jalopy Joker likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think that most of your individual prices are that far off what I see as asking prices.
    As for the whole lot, CASH GREEN MONEY HELD OUT IN THE HAND is the only thing that really talks. You know what you have in it and somewhere between that and the 5500 is that let it go for cash greens held out in the hand. Low ballers will contact you and lowball, mouth breathers will comment but in the end the only thing that really speaks is money held out in the hand or the offer to go to the bank and get you the funds while you are both in the bank. Meaning that unless my backup is standing behind me armed I am not going any place with 5500 cash in my pocket to buy anything anymore.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

possibly share why you have made this drastic decision? going into another hobby?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

Your prices aren't necessarily overpriced, but they are definitely full retail price, and I really highly doubt you'll get someone to buy all of it at once at those prices. If you break it up and are willing to wait for buyers to come along, you might get those prices, a little at a time over the course of a couple years. But all to one buyer? $5K can buy a project car that at least looks like a project car, and that'll bring a lot more buyers than a collection of pieces and parts.

jim snow, lothiandon1940 and Budget36 like this.

5. X-cpe

X-cpe

Amen. And maybe not even then.

6. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

I don't have the physical space for my WWII Jeep and this project, my wife just gave birth to our first child, I have a ten acre farm to care for, our furnace just died, and I could use the funds for more important things than keeping a collection of parts I've had for a number of years. My intention would be to find a Model A project in the future and pick up where I left off.

If I can't sell the whole lot at once, I'd likely keep the cowl and flathead for a future project. However, the possibility of moving out of state is also prompting me to look at selling. It's rather disappointing to look at "quitting", but my priorities have shifted over the last 2-3 years.

7. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Selling to one person is ideal, and I understand that person may not be in the market yet. I'm negotiable and I've listed that in my sale ad. I understand $5k can get a project car :p that's how I got into the Model A ;). It doesn't usually get you much of a start though and even though there isn't a roadster body, they're out there. $5k is optimistic and I'm always willing to negotiate to find my stuff a new home. :cool:

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have any paper work on the engine/frame? Projects with paperwork often move more quickly.

I don't have any knowledge of the difficulty of doing this in your state.

Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a couple of customers who fairly easily block the sun, and are armed. One of them goes with me for large cash deals. If spendy enough, two go.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good luck on everything.

11. It's going to be a tough sell for multiple reasons...

One, you collected parts for the car you wanted to build, and unless you find a buyer with the same intentions, not many are going to 'see' what you see.

Two, you have too many parts. It'll be obvious to any buyer there's a lot of extras that won't be used and you're basically pushing the work of selling/trading those off onto the new owner with little chance for financial reward for doing so. The guys that would be willing to buy a 'pile 'o parts' will offer .50 or less on the dollar to get 'paid' for the work of selling off the extras or to piecemeal all of it out.

Three, Bellingham isn't exactly a major market. For sales out of the immediate area, you have to factor in shipping and/or drive time/expense.

That can be useful, but Washington has gotten real sticky about car values. The days of going in with a private party bill of sale and transferring title are gone. These days they look up average retail value for a complete vehicle and that's what you pay tax on. If you paid less, you have to either have a bill of sale from a licensed dealer or document why it's less valuable; the state has a form for that. That can have pitfalls. I bought a titled motorcycle frame once, the taxes were double what I paid for the frame. I paid it, as the alternative was having licensed business receipts for ALL missing parts (most of which I already had). Had a similar deal on a car. In this case the tax was five times what I paid for the car. The car was complete; after documenting with a professional appraisal the tax was reduced and my reward was a salvage title... although I think that was spite in this case.

I wouldn't let the state see the title until there was enough 'car' there to avoid this.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Squablow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Post them for sale in the Classifieds.

You sell the parts quick - you priced them right.
    You don't - you priced them too high and you can always come down in price.

Thanks,

Desoto291Hemi, X38 and lothiandon1940 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.