Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Liquid Wrench in crank case oil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elcohaulic, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    loudbang likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Never heard of doing that before.

loudbang likes this.
  3. RodStRace

RodStRace

Under thumb and finger, it feels more like a solvent than a lubricant.
    I have heard and tried ATF as a cleaner in mildly gunked up engines. It works well since it has high detergent and load bearing properties.
    With that though, 2 caveats; I used a half quart in the oil just before an oil change, running without load for 30 minutes. Also, any time you are cleaning anything, remember where all that stuff is heading. As was explained to me by a fuel system cleaning agent, you want to slowly erode the mess, not cause an avalanche! So you want to consider being able to avoid plugging drains and have the pan not just hold everything ready to be sucked into the pickup.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Heard of squirting a little in the plug holes to re-seat stuck rings.

loudbang and Elcohaulic like this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

What would actually happen .... the carbon that had accumulated in the ring lands would break loose, causing oil pumping, and the crap washed out of all the hidden places will circulate thru the bearings causing rapid wear & soon after, engine failure.

54EARL, buick bill, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  6. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

From the material safety datasheet for Liquid Wrench.
    Just like WD40 and a bunch of other light spray "oils" the main ingredient is kerosene, or something very closely related to kerosene. Probably mostly there as a cheap solvent to mix everything else in, and give it the right viscosity for penetration and so on.

Would you dump a pint of straight diesel or gas in the oil if someone said it was a good idea?

upload_2021-12-12_21-33-18.png

Blues4U, loudbang, Elcohaulic and 3 others like this.
  7. jaracer

jaracer

I had a teacher who would wash out a really gunked up engine with Tide. While I never saw him do it, he said to drain the oil, replace the filter and replace 1 qt of oil. Then put in 4 qts. of water along with a cup of Tide. Run the engine at about 1200 rpm for long enough to get to operating temperature. Drain the mixture and replace the oil filter, then fill with fresh oil. Bring the engine to operating temperature at a fast idle. Drain, change filter and refill again and you are good to go.

He always said that water and Tide wasn't a bad lubricant and that you are running the engine at very light load so it isn't going to hurt anything that isn't already hurt. He was talking about cars of the 40's and 50's.

loudbang and brigrat like this.
  8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I've heard of using Marvel mystery oil. Never done it myself.

Stude350guy, loudbang and Elcohaulic like this.
  9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Jaracer, did he use warm water or cold with the Tide?:p Bet that water and oil mixed really well.

buick bill, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  10. A lotta really bad ideas in this thread

11. 6sally6

6sally6

15.2smoking kid.jpg
    "Don't piss down my back & tell me it's raining!"
    A/T fluid OK..........Liquid Wrench, "are you serious?"
    6sally6

12. BJR

BJR

The title of this thread needs to be changed to what not to do to your engine.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing goes in the crankcase that is not engine oil.

14. Fordors

Fordors

Christmas is coming and some of these guys have already been enjoying the spiked egg nog :eek:

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Might make it easier to take apart later. :)

16. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I've used this to clean parts. Smells like paint thinner. Never did have the balls to dump it in my engine. Mike

[​IMG]

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I gave jaracer post #7 a "like" because he brought back some old memory's of when I was working at a Foreign Auto repair shop in the early '70's. The shop did high end foreign cars of all types. One day I went to work and the master mechanic was in a panic the Jag he just rebuilt wouldn't quit smoking, seems the rings weren't seating. Last resort before a complete tear down was to mix up a concoction of Tide and water, said he has seen it seat rings in the past. To every ones surprise it did, do I recommend it, no I don't!

18. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Had a buddy that at every oil change would dump old oil, replaced with diesel fuel, start it until it reached operating temp. Then shut off and pull plug, let it drain 20 or 30 minutes replace with oil and new filter and go.

He had that old chevy truck with a straight 6 for 15 yrs or so and never had a problem doing it at every oil change. The guys in the shop would just shake their heads.

Darn did it smoke while he was doing it!

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  19. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I'd bet that if he used JUST quality motor oil, he would have gotten the same outcome..!

Mike

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, just hole the gas pedal to the floor, and you won't even need wrenches!

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh I tried that once. I followed the directions on the can. Then did my oil change.

5-miles out, on my way to work, the #3 rod spun its bearing.

22. X-cpe

X-cpe

One I heard for seating rings was to run a little scouring powder down through the carb.

23. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

A friend did this one. The smoke slowed a 4 lane highway. Instructions: Slowly pour in 2/3 of the can without killing the engine, then dump in the last 1/3. This should stop it. Let it sit, restart. The story got around and dumping a bunch of oil/ATF down the carb while in a mall or McDonald's parking lot got popular. Never understood why no hydrolock. The one we did was a 230 6. The oil going in never really slowed it down. It just ran and smoked, a bunch.
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  24. belair

belair

Only Bon-Ami. ^^^^

25. 6sally6

6sally6

X-2........(I 'heard' not tried)

deathrowdave likes this.
  26. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Funny...

You want smoke ?
    As a kid, go mow the lawn, my dad said..!
    The mower didn't have any gas in it. Hmm, here's a can, sorta smells like gas (?), pour it into the mowers tank, and go about my business. Within minutes, the whole street, end to end (about 9 houses per side) was covered in white smoke. I just kept going..!
    Ol dad came out and went nuts. What the hell are you doing ?
    Long story short, the "gas" can was full of "white gas", or kerosene for his cleaning duties !
    He was more mad that I'd wasted his kerosene in the mower than covering all the neighbors houses in white smoke !

I guess I shoulda checked to see if it cleaned off the mowers piston top any !?

Mike

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  27. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This what "Sea-Foam" is for. It also makes a bunch of smoke for a while.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  29. mopar362000

mopar362000

Don't use liquid wrench.It will loosen the slug in the engine . The slug will then coat the oil pan blocking the oil pump pickup then you get to replace the engine.wiped out bearings camshaft,lifters.Learned the hard way only use correct oil in engines.jimmie king