Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical fender covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, Dec 11, 2021.

1. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

How many people still use fender covers when working on their cars?

2. impala4speed

impala4speed

I do. I still have a couple of old ones from the 70's that are good condition. But, I have a few fitted sheets my wife was getting rid of. They're very soft so I put those on first. Being a fitted sheet I drape one end over a rear view mirror and the other around the front fender; they stay in place well that way. Then the fender cover goes on top of the sheet. The car is black and so far no scratches doing it this way.

WalkerMD, das858 and loudbang like this.
  3. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I have a couple old Nappa covers

dana barlow likes this.
  4. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

Funny, my neighbor just gave me a new AmsOil fender cover yesterday. I usually have a supply of old bath towels handy for this and other purposes.

dana barlow likes this.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use em and have a bunch of em

Cosmo49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. RmK57

RmK57

IMG_2502.JPG My father gave me these in the mid-70's.

Funny enough the car in 2021 is still Holley Equipped.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Big heavy towels & clothespins

54EARL likes this.
  8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I was taught in hs shop to always use a fender cover...working as a mechanic we used em sometimes, auto tech program in college didnt even have em haha

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. evintho

evintho

My fenders covers consist of an old towel covered with an old bathmat. Soft and cushiony and things don't roll off!

P5220003.jpg

10. Newer driver units, no need for fender covers (because it does not really matter about paint scuffs, they will all wind up in the junk yard sooner or later). Older stuff, work from the frontal area, and mostly underneath.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I use them ever once in a while. I have a few in my collection.

12. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Harbor Freight moving blankets work well and they're cheap.

41 GMC K-18, mad mikey, Jibs and 4 others like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-12-22_4-4-45.png

Hello,

In our 20s, we had always thought of a jet flight to Hawaii was going to be great. I had several situations of invitations during my late teens to fly over there. But, I did not want to fly in a prop plane, as they were the only standard way to get there. Covering my 45-50 pound longboard was going to be a nightmare, too.

So, we waited until the jet age arrived. But, who would have thought that the skegs or fin on a surfboard would be so long and narrow as per design rules? (the base should be as tall as the fin in proportion) I had no idea of how to cover it safely. People were using cardboard boxes and taped on an extra box on top of the fin. Others just put them in a sleeping bag and hoped for the best.

Then an idea hit me with the help of my then, 20 something, wife’s great idea. She wanted to get rid of the old padded bed spread and get a new one. For the summer, the padded bedspread was too hot and cumbersome. So, she wanted to kill two birds with one stone. I get to use the padded bedspread to cover my new 8 foot speed shaped surfboard and it included enough stuff to double wrap the skeg/fin to keep off those mishandling baggage boys from dinging up the whole surfboard and fin.

When it was wrapped up, it was well protected. It looked tropical with some different patterns and colorful enough to make the baggage boys underneath the plane to take notice and handle it carefully. So, we were confident and my wife had ulterior motives when she gave me the padded tropical design bedspread. Now, she could buy a new one for our king size bed and I could have the old one for whatever trips were coming in the future.

Jnaki

We thought we would be using it when we traveled to Europe’s coastlines for a long Summer surf/vacation trip as our next destination. That was promising, but eventually, the coastal European road trip/vacation was turned into a different kind of 40 day major European city vacation that actually cost less than we had planned. Luckily, my wife is a wizard as saving money, to stockpile it for such venues.

But, what became of the padded bedspread was on the fender of our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with the 327 motor. It was padded enough to ward off any scratches and kept the fender well protected. It was large enough to cover the whole engine/radiator and both fenders at one time. It was heavy enough to stay put during engine work, too. It was made of soft cotton and kept the paint pristine.

When we parked it inside of a small two car garage, the bedspread was used over the top to protect the side of the sedan delivery from door dings. It also could be washed in a commercial size washing machine to keep it pristine.

Later on, when we moved to our first real house, the house had a car port and the padded bedspread was used to cover the sedan delivery. The bad thing was, the first sprinkle and it got soaked due to the sideways wind direction. So, the good old padded tropical design bedspread had seen its days and we got a California Car Company, official car cover for the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. My wife had another smaller padded cover to drape over any fender for working on our cars.

She was always thinking ahead… hmmm… “… If the cover gets used elsewhere, I can buy an new bedspread when I change the design of the house decorating…” Beach lifestyle, antique look, or modern? ORMV

41 GMC K-18 and hfh like this.
  14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Always........I respect black paint.;)

Slopok and impala4speed like this.
  15. I have honestly never owned or used fender covers. I guess I just learned to pay attention to what I was doing when working over nice fenders. I think the fact that I painted most of what I worked on early on made me very conscious of screwing something up. Not sure why I never just got covers.

16. indyjps

indyjps

Don't own fender covers.
    I keep a few pieces of cut down OSB and saw horses for quick work table set up. My buddy uses an old ironing board with a pice of plywood, I really like that but haven't made one yet.

I do have 2 big magnets and will occasionally use a light blanket. Magnets need to be strong enough to hold thru the blanket, speaker magnets work well.

mad mikey likes this.
  17. Oilguy

Oilguy

I too have been using the Harbor Fright moving blankets. A bit cumbersome but they certainly do protect the fenders. I have a pair of conventional covers but always seem to reach for the moving blankets.

mad mikey likes this.
  18. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I own junk that needs painted or doesn't have fenders.

dana barlow, mad mikey and Jack Wagon like this.
  19. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I've been using the Harbor Freight moving blankets for a few years. I do have some purpose made fender covers as well and towels and blankets but the moving blanks are my main use. Joe

mad mikey likes this.
  20. Spooky

Spooky

I use old blankets all of the time. Even on primered cars. I'd love to score a set of FoMoCo ones.

21. I use bath towels. Fender covers always seem to to big and do not conform to a lot of fender shapes on earlier cars. Bath towels fit everything pretty well and Linda doesn't notice when I toss a couple in with the wash, you know, unless I get them really dirty. :eek:

mad mikey likes this.
  22. 6sally6

6sally6

When I can remember!
    6sally6

23. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

What are fenders? IMG_1F4E4CE7E25E-3 (2).JPG

24. Budget36

Budget36

Didn’t quite get it squared up to pull into the garage, eh? ;)

jimgoetz, vtx1800 and WalkerMD like this.
  25. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use fender covers on the Stude....it doesn't have a great paint job but I can be a little clumsy and chips and scratches don't make it look any better. The 38 is so chipped and scratched it doesn't matter:) I've picked all of them up at garage sales, I've tried to get the folds out of them but they are permanent. If you want more information on the Blue Crown Spark plugs this link does a nice job of describing it. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...spark plugs with Champion also doing business. IMG_4237.JPEG IMG_4238.JPEG IMG_4239.JPEG

oldsjoe, impala4speed and Budget36 like this.
  26. I don't use fender covers
    11-6-2021 076 (1).JPG

Photo courtesy of @quick85

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    oldsjoe, impala4speed and saltflats like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have used them for many years of being in the repair business. Any more I use blankets in multiple layers. I like the padding.

oldsjoe likes this.
  28. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I like the idea mentioned above about the bath throw rugs. They have anti slip material on the back side and are warm and fuzzy! Joe